Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Network Hub
    I've dumped 10 points into fire, air and earth until I sort out my 2G book, but the enhanced toughness has really upped my ability to survive frontline WvW fights, and that's with mostly precision gear. The earth trait to shield you at low health and etheric regen get me out of most problems, even when the enemy treat all eles as kill on sight targets in sieges.

Before I was getting taken down fast but survivability has really improved to the extent I'm thinking a full earth/water traited melee with flaming greatsword may be worth a shot, and I haven't even sorted out optimal gear and sigils yet. Time to shop for victory!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I'm curious, what do you take with 10 points in Earth Magic?

I went with Water Magic instead and find it really useful. Constant regeneration in water, plus a major trait for dagger damage (Piercing Shards) or team support (Aquamancer's Alacrity or Cleansing Wave) - plus Elemental Attunement from Arcana for even more regen.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I spec in Earth magic so that I can take advantage of toughness and condition damage, so I also pick fire and thus maximize both condition damage and duration.

If it weren't for condition damage I'd spec in Water instead.

I'm all about double dagger at the moment (30/30/0/0/10).

Geared with runes of rage, I'm getting up to 7k Fire Grabs on downed opponents. Bloody nice in conjunction with Updraft and Burning Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I'm all about double dagger at the moment (30/30/0/0/10).

Geared with runes of rage, I'm getting up to 7k Fire Grabs on downed opponents. Bloody nice in conjunction with Updraft and Burning Speed
    Are you able to post a copy of your current build? Be interesting to see what you went for in terms of traits.

I'm currently testing a bleed and burn build centred around earth and fire (surprisingly!) Giving myself a touch more survivability. Means to pack in the big numbers I have to jump into earth to put bleeds on then fire to roll the numbers. Not convinced it suits though

Network Hub
    I've reworked my traits based on some other forum posts to up my survivability and when I get my 2G book will look like this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fEEQ...SJhCEIK8QRxM7A

Which is pretty tough, and the regen when in water attunement gives lots of room to get out of trouble in WvW, as does the utility Mist Form skill. It's a good mix of support via auras, aoe damage and lots of combo opportunities with sceptre/focus. I finally managed to solo my ~52 Light in the Darkness story quest by taking spirit weapons with it too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    This is my general PvE build at level 65:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fEMQ...kCvIPMR5xN5YDA

After buying the lvl 60 training manual I immediately maxed out one trait line and do not regret it! The build is dual daggers with a lot of emphasis on endurance, the payoff being the AoE effect on dodge rolls (especially the insta-cast Churning Earth while in earth attunement) and, well, survivability. Glyph of Storm's sandstorm is very helpful for the latter too.

I was wandering the Bloodtide Coast last night when I saw a random player downed nearby, and found them being picked clean by a small group of spiders. I dive in to clear them out when the other player comments in local, "some veterans.." and he's right, 2 of the 5 critters I'm fighting are veterans. :x

But I won! The fight was really intense and I had to flip through all my combos to stay alive and then rescue the guy. That was a really satisfying moment.
    Last edited by Screwie; 18-09-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 20phoenix View Post
    Are you able to post a copy of your current build? Be interesting to see what you went for in terms of traits.

I'm currently testing a bleed and burn build centred around earth and fire (surprisingly!) Giving myself a touch more survivability. Means to pack in the big numbers I have to jump into earth to put bleeds on then fire to roll the numbers. Not convinced it suits though
    Sorry dude. Just seen this. My current build is this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fEAQ...kQJrSOlkKNoYWA

Not 100% sure about the amulet though to be honest. Been playing a lot of my Guardian in PvP recently.

Hello my Elementalist friends!

Just thought I'd let you know that Wooden Potatoes has uploaded another Elementalist build video on his YouTube channel.

He has done a video on his Elementalist build previously to this, which is about 5 videos down on his channel if you want to watch that one first.

He is primarily using D/D with a bit of Staff. He does discuss the Sceptre and Focus a little, but seems pretty sold on his D/D build.

I'm still playing around with my build, so won't be posting it up for now. But as soon as I settle on something, I'll be sure to post it up and hopefully add to the discussion!

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderChild View Post
    Hello my Elementalist friends!

Just thought I'd let you know that Wooden Potatoes has uploaded another Elementalist build video on his YouTube channel.

He has done a video on his Elementalist build previously to this, which is about 5 videos down on his channel if you want to watch that one first.

He is primarily using D/D with a bit of Staff. He does discuss the Sceptre and Focus a little, but seems pretty sold on his D/D build.

I'm still playing around with my build, so won't be posting it up for now. But as soon as I settle on something, I'll be sure to post it up and hopefully add to the discussion!

Haha, I went to this thread just to tip that build! I play Warrior myself, but that video really made me want to make an Elementalist alt.. Also, in his latest video, it seems like he uses that build in WvWvW in the background.

Hi guys, I've been playing as Ele since I started and have got to level 35 so far. I am finding it quite difficult, especially when there are no other players around. I'm probably doing something wrong but I actually feel very weak when attacking, looking at the attacks most of them seem to be low damage.

Weapon wise I'm using sceptre and focus. I found daggers good but couldnt see any abilities that stopped enemy missile fire, so I tended to get gunned down by enemy mobs. I got on quite well with staff, but kept aggroing multiple mobs with chain lightning by mistake. The bleed damage from the staff earth attack seemed very high.

With sceptre / focus i tend to start off with a fire "meteor on head" attack followed by the phoenix and then i switch to earth / air to use attacks and blind abilities. Most of the damage seems to come from earth bleeds and fire burns. Skills wise I like the arcane shield that blocks attacks, the cleansing fire to get rid of conditions and the fire signet that improves crit and seemed high damage. Trait points 5 in air and 10 in arcane & earth currently. I found the points in earth seemed to help out a lot.

I guess as I get higher things may change, but until then i hope my death costs dont outweigh my reward money!

Mrchoppy - You can struggle with an ele when your alone because it's essentially a support class (especially when using staff). The ele is amazing at putting put huge aoe attacks and combo fields, so my best advice would be to try and stick with other players. For solo play lightning attunement with sceptre is good for single target damage.

You can also take the take the Glyph of lesser Elementals/Elementals with you. The earth Elementals in paticular can take a lot of damage before they go down. Sure they're a bit stupid sometimes (they tend go after your target, so when you switch your target a lot, expect your elementals to run around like idiots) but it certainly helps to have some meat shields with you.

Not sure I agree about ele's being a support class (except possibly in staff as you said) There's potential for nice damage with daggers or scepter. I tend to run with scepter/dagger in PvE with my normal skill path being Ride the Lightning->Lightning Strike->Blinding Flash->Updraft-> switch to fire -> dragons tooth -> phoenix -> ring of fire -> arcane wave -> fire grab. Only vets or better should still be standing by the end of that which usually means the fiery greatsword comes out while the skills recharge unless I need to drop to water to heal up. The key part of playing elementalist imo is staying mobile and knowing where skills are to react to how the fight is unfolding. Lost count of the amount of times i've tried to activate a specific skill to save myself from something and been in wrong attunement or pressed wrong button!

Since we talked about this over the weekend on mumble, here's the Water build I've come up with

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fEEQ...vkSJiCPUeEDN1A

Water seems to suffer from having lots of interesting traits at the bottom but nothing particularly exciting at the top. This is combined with my full healing set of exotics to actually make a pretty viable support character while using dagger/dagger.

Its nowhere near as nasty dps wise as an out and out glass cannon build you can get from Fire/Arcane but it still chucks out reasonable damage and is much more survivable for both you and the party (passive healing in Water is bloody good) so in this I have about 15k hp versus closer to 7k in my old Fire build.

I also really like the aura's (on air and water) giving swiftness as combined with judicious use of ride the lightning, burning speed and updraft I can get around pretty quickly.

The ability to chuck out a significant amount of chills also makes for a much easier time when solo'ing rather than having to dodge and run around like a looney when using fire.

All in all, after being pretty apprehensive when I first tried it out I'm reasonably pleased with it although if you prefer chucking out damage then this isn't the build for you

Obscure Node
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fEAQ...xcj4G7Nubk3M+A

This is what I'm using in sPvP at the moment, but this build should also work wonders as a support spec for explorable dungeons or WvW. You remove 2 conditions in an AoE just by switching into Water Attunement, heal for 2.6k and remove another condition in an AoE by dodging while in Water Attunement, heal for 2.2k with Geyser, 6k and even more condition removal with Healing Rain... you get the idea. You also get a ton of blast finishers, which either means tons of might when used inside Lava Font, or 1.5k healing per finisher inside one of your water fields.

This is about as close as one can get to playing a traditional "healer" in GW2. You're never just standing around idly in Water Attunement though. This playstyle involves a lot of dodging, swapping attunements to maximize buff duration, comboing with your own combo fields... god, I could write volumes about this build. I need to stop.

Network Hub
    I totally agree. One thing I hate about Elementalist is the inability to use multiple weapons in a combat. Haven't played Elementalist that much though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thought I'd revive this thread after the most recent patch. D/D bunker has been steadily nerfed in recent months. I didn't play it myself, as I was always more comfortable with S/D but sceptre damage was a bit rubbish. Swapped today to a fresh air 0/30/0/30/10 build that seems fun. More damage than my bunkery 0/10/0/30/30, still lots of group healing/auras, and the loss of attunement refresh time from reducing arcane is nicely offset by air resetting every time you crit outside of it. Still need to work on rotations, but its overcome my main S/D Ele problem of rubbish DPS..
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

S/D should have plenty of DPS, many people are currently running something along those lines in PvP:

http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=...N;4sV2DsV2D4BR

Haven't played my Ele in a while, so maybe that's not as viable in PvE.

Obscure Node
    Have to say D/D is still pretty strong as for a continually "nerfed" build. I atleast still manage to get some mile-age out of it in pvp/wvw. You do get the sense that it has slowed down somewhat though but it was ridiculously powerful to start with so I'll live with that.

I've dabbled somewhat with a fresh air zerker glass cannon in pvp, as described by Zoose here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Ex7Bt8faeBQ (sidenote, can anyone of you actually do the crazy lightning flash/phoenix combo he shows around 14:40 in that video? I'm far to slow to do it but it looks quite sweet) Had some great fun with it but as advertised, it is super glassy and you can't really expect to win too many 1v1 fights, your teamfight ability is pretty decent though.

However, I have been gravitating towards the S/D spec by Hamartia http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...ight-stacking/ for PvE which pretty much should give you permanent fury uptime and some rather silly lightning hammer DPS, although I can't say I've played too much S/D outside of dabbling in pvp so I could be going down the wrong path here.

Overall this patch made some intriguing changes and definately made staff quite a bit better to live with, imo.