Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    I've been running the Selfish Aura S/D build in sPvP recently:
    http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fEAQ...j7HzPyfs/M6YuA

Still in the serious L2P phase with ele in pvp so really unsure as to how good it is. I usually go for a condition removal instead of the third signet in utilities. Also not settled on amulet. They use zerk here, but I used PvP knight's (pow/prec/vit) last night. Not sure I can handle PvP glass yet.

I'm a devotee of the aura sharing build in PvE, though. Love the group utility in dungeons. Something like this:
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fEAQJAr...myVIV/C7NwAA-e

Still working on the gear here, though. I think it might be a little heavy on the defensive stats. Need to test it out in some challenging content.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Been running S/D aura sharing in pve since I hit 80 last year - I'm a big fan. One question - your PvE build there Saph has no traits in Arcane, so is your attunement cooldown quite large? Apart from when I dabbled with fresh air (abandoned last week) I struggle with anything less than 15 in arcane as most of the time an ele needs to be swapping attunements regularly or you're stuck with autoattack. So for Aura sharing I prefer 10/10/0/30/20 or something similar.
    As for gear I was running Knights until recently which seemed a good mix of offense:defense, but am switching over to all celestial. Only got the chest, amulet, and a couple of rings and trinkets currently though, so will only be able to let you know how it works next month as I'm timegated at 5 days a piece
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

The lack of points in Arcana is unfortunate, I agree. But losing ten points in Fire means that you lose the fiery shield when popping signets, which is a huge part of the fury generation of this build. Otherwise S/D only has frost aura, right? It might just be worth still doing aura sharing if you were running D/D, since you get lightning aura too. But I don't think I could give up the fire shields on signets.

That said, I think I could stand to lose the 10 in earth magic to get 10 in arcana. On reflection I think this would be a good tradeoff (not least since it will also boost the fury duration).

That would leave me with this:
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fEAQJAr...myVIV/C7NwAA-e
    Last edited by jha4ceb; 17-07-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Obscure Node
    Saph, that sPvP build you linked is Scepter / Focus? And using condition dmg runes, that is interesting. Haven't seen that kind of build about too much.

I personally prefer to use something to the tune of this in sPvP at the moment:
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fEAQJAr...jrGTNyas1MKYaB
    What it gives you is a bit of a hybrid, you are nowhere close to being as glassy as the ele builds using berserkers amulets, but you still hit pretty hard with the added crit dmg from the runes and berserkers jewel while retaining a decent bit of toughness from the valks amulet. In addition, you get a lot of vigor uptime from Arcana trait #6 so dodgerolls for days.

I really can't live without a heavy investment in arcana though, the trait bonuses are simply too good to pass up in my book.

Gearing wise, I have about the same stats as your second build Saph when I WvWvW, and I'm running Celestial trinkets with Berserkers shoes/hands/shoulders with the rest Knights. Then again I like to WvWvW using D/D aurashare so I need a lot of defensive stats to survive. I should probably look into getting a bit more glassy for PvE

Haven't tried the S/D signet aurashare yet, what are the benefits above the standard D/D aurashare spec?

Uff, that's not the build I meant to link to at all, except for the traits. I'm running S/D in spvp with eagle runes. Switched to knight's amulet with zerker jewel.

Although I don't know what amounts to the "standard" D/D aurashare, the benefit of the signet version is that with 20 points in fire you get an aura (and thus give fury to the whole party) every time you pop a signet. So you get to provide more group utility. You'd provide even more with D/D AND signets, since D/D has more auras than S/D, but I find scepter better than dagger MH for dungeons.

I guess I should hurry up with creating the useful information and links thread, but until that is ready, I'll spam the class threads with sitting-on-a-couch podcast links. Here you go: http://sittingonacouch.com/tag/guild...-elementalist/

These guys usually know what they are talking about and I enjoy listening nearly anything they put out, tons of useful information in there.

Obscure Node
    Thanks for the link to SOAC, <3 me some Zoose but it does have a tendency to get a little ramble-y.

Saph, I would consider the "standard" D/D auramancer to be something like:
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fEAQJAo...8KIqaER16aYA-e
    I find that with the boon duration runes I can keep up fury for myself permanently and for the group as well if I'm smart enough to remember about using earth 3 in a fire field.

That signet build sounds quite intriguing none the less although anything less than 30 points in arcane both scares and confuses me

Unsteady Ground (staff earth 4) is to become a new Line of Warding:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...review/2926216

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Krathor's Avatar
    Eh, fair enough. TBH I kinda liked the damage on it because I'm on my ele, y'know? If I wanted line of warding I'd hop on my guardian. It's useful, but I want damage damn it! Even when attuned to earth!
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Malawi mentioned this in-game before, but here's a rather surprising discovery: zerker Staff Eles have the best DPS of any class in the game.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...for-manly-men/

I mean, Staff Eles...who saw that coming?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    must have bigger numbers... and people wonder why Anet are introducing Ascended gear.

back on topic, what is LH?

I had been thinking of rolling an Ele for my last slot, mainly because with no weapon swapping the mechanics are very different to the other classes I play, but since it is likely to be the next class of choice (and was already the 3rd most played class according to Anet) I might roll a Mesmer instead.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

LH = lightning hammer.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Didn't read it all, is this single target DPS or is it just in a group?

Also, more fire fields :3

Keep in mind this is PvE only, human players will step out of your AOEs and sidestep your autoattack. Would be nice if the guy posted actual numbers too, but I guess a video is sufficient? It has also been mentioned in that thread that this works best in combination with a Lightning Hammer ele for lots of blast finishers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Necroing this discussion. I've run S/D on Ohara since release, but since I have more toons now and have dropped Ele in WvW for Necro, she's not getting played so much nowadays and needs a revamp . The few times I tried Lightning Hammer I hated it, so thats not going to work for me.
    Had a good read through the Staff ele thread above and whilst it seems counter intuitive I might give it a go. I'm celestial rather than zerker atm (albeit with Ruby Orbs), which will nerf my damage but give me a bit more survivability. It does look like this needs to go with a reliable source of blast finisher, engi or hammer guardian perhaps, but if so will give ridiculous amounts of might.
    Anyhow, will swap Ohara over to this tonight and try it out when I next run with some blast finishing RPSers.
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Network Hub
    I always pack Arcane Blast to make my own finishers. It's close range but very useful.

I tend to run staff ele almost exclusively in PVT gear. My damage output isn't great but it's a great support class for friendlies- CC, buffs, healing and some damage output and hard to take down unless you're in a small group or soloing.

Personally I compare number crunching in MMOs to learning a martial art vs using it in an actual fight - its all very well basing your strategy on a predictable opponent, but in reality people won't be standing where you want them to be and won't do what you want them to do - in my opinion the best builds are those that are a) fun b) flexible and responsive c) keep you alive
    That staff build is absurd - I've never seen anyone get away with just standing around in either pve or pvp - epitome of the glass cannon.

I run a toughness/aura/protection D/D build because its fun and its great at staying alive - far more useful in any situation in my mind. Lack of range for WvW can be a pain - but it's great at hunting down stragglers w/ ride the lightning and lightning flash and aura swiftness

Happy to link the build if anyone's interested!
    Squidguts - PS2
    ThunderFire/Vitae/Shield/Blast - GW2
    ThunderTech/Bolt/Swift - WildStar

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Do not ever mix PvE and PvP in build discussions. The modes are so different in terms of requirements that talking about them both at the same time only leads to tears.

Activated Node
    i'm leveling my ele at the moment purely in pvp, what stat combination would you recommend for a staff ele? is it pvt, even if i tend to stay behind and use mainly aoe spells from afar?
    Valconas

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I assume you mean wvw, Valc, as spvp doesn't level.
    I use all celestial, as Ele is one if the few classes to use all the stats, though my Ele has been abandoned in wvw in favour of my guard recently. All pvt may give fairly poor damage, but I wouldn't go all zerker though as you will be flimsy, maybe zerker jewellery, pvt armour? Before I got my celestial I used knights and that seemed a good compromise (toughness, power, precision).