Network Hub

What to Actually Put on a Website.....

yeah, so, i got my own website the other day.

however, I have no fricking clue what to actually put on it.

anyone out there with a site, shamelessly plug it here so I can have a look at what you have done.

I'm not really wanting anything businessy, just personal website and suchlike.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    links to brand new hollywood movies

serious note:

anything you want. make it a blog for your ramblings, host pictures you like, host your lets plays?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze-X View Post

Then you've done it in the wrong order.

Hey guys, I bought a car, any idea where should I drive it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post

Is that meant to be helpful?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar

you are welcome good sir.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post

Who said I bought it? Say I get given a car for free. I have no license. What do I do with it? Hence me asking advice in this case.

I bought a car, any idea where should I drive it?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by efchronic2017 View Post
    I bought a car, any idea where should I drive it?
    English, do you read it? I didn't buy anything. I was literally given a website.

So, anyone want to actually give constructive advice?

English, do you read it? I didn't buy anything. I was literally given a website.

So, anyone want to actually give constructive advice?
    Don't feed the spambots.

Seriously, something that is either different from what you can get elsewhere, or just better. So, if you have several interests but have yet to see anywhere that combines them, you could start there (hint: A quick Google doesn't bring me up any sites specifically about kittens, cheese and explosions, where can I go to talk to other feline and cheddar demolition enthusiasts?)

Obscure Node
    Make sure your passionate about what you write on your site, therefore its more likely to be qualititive and an asset to ever changing search engine algorithmns

anyone out there with a site, shamelessly plug it here so I can have a look at what you have done.

I'm not really wanting anything businessy, just personal website and suchlike.

Yeah, that's the hard part. You could start a blog; but honestly nobody reads those unless you're someone famous. There's a reason you see very few personal homepages from average Joe's like you and me -- those pages generally don't work.

Also, facebook has replaced them.

What do you mean by a site exactly? Have you purchased web hosting, or have you set yourself up on something like WordPress?

If it's the former -- install WordPress. A lot of web hosts allow you to automate the install. Set it up as a basic blog and if you ever want to change it into something else, it's easy enough to find a theme to fit the purpose. WordPress can be used as a general CMS (content management system) -- I use it as the back-end for almost all my sites.

Network Hub
    What's the goal? I mean what to put on it depends on what you want to get out of it.

If you just want hits then I dunno, cats with hats will probably do it. Or photoshopped pics of Kylie Minogue in suggestive poses. If you have a cause, a drive, something you need to say, then say it on your site. Chances are somebody else in this world of 7 billion people will share your interest. Unless you're really wierd :o)

If you have an expertise, and it interests you, then share it. Someone out there will find it useful, unless, again, you're really wierd. Personally, I know everything there is to know about various spanning tree protocol flavours. It's dull as dish water to 99.9% of the population, and the other 0.1% of the population who either need to know about or are interested in it either know all they need to know, or have better resources available already. Hence, I don't run a website about spanning tree protocol.

What do you twitter/facetube about? Anything worthy of it's own website? There's no shame in the answer to that second question being "nothing at all" by the way. Most of us spout tosh. You don't really have to publish this on a website if you don't want to.

You don't need to have a website.
    Last edited by MiniMatt; 27-09-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post

you are welcome good sir.
    Is this meant to be helpful?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDavies View Post
    Is this meant to be helpful?
    Well, it made me laugh. Dancing baby is appropriate for any website.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_baby