Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    16

    Front page news? Steam offline mode fixed?!

    I turn my PC on this morning, Steam Self Updater boots up and I actually read the patch notes for a change...

    [-]August 20, 2012 - Steam client update released


    A Steam client update is now available. To apply the update, click the Steam menu inside of Steam and then select "Check for Steam Client Updates...". The specific changes include:

    - Fixed broken offline mode if Steam process didn't shutdown correctly


    - Fixed broken offline mode if Steam process didn't shutdown correctly

    - Fixed broken offline mode if Steam process didn't shutdown correctly

    Of course only time will tell if this is true! I'm so excited.

    Source: http://store.steampowered.com/news/8691/

  2. #2
    Lesser Hivemind Node Wheelz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    538
    I think that's only 1/2 the issue. The other 1/2 is that you still have to set Steam to offline mode while your connected to the internet for it to be available later when your not connected to the internet.

  3. #3
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    I think that's only 1/2 the issue. The other 1/2 is that you still have to set Steam to offline mode while your connected to the internet for it to be available later when your not connected to the internet.
    I can start Steam in offline mode without an internet connection, though.

  4. #4
    Lesser Hivemind Node Bhazor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by Xari View Post
    I can start Steam in offline mode without an internet connection, though.
    But I can't.
    I tried almost every day for six months on my commute and offline mode didn't work once.

    Fuck all client based drms.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    But I can't.
    I tried almost every day for six months on my commute and offline mode didn't work once.

    Fuck all client based drms.
    Where does it go wrong for you, exactly? Is there no prompt to start in offline mode after failing to connect, or does the attempt to start in offline mode fail?

  6. #6
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    16
    For me it has often failed after clicking the button that says start in offline mode. I may have had it where I don't even get the prompt though, can't really remember.

  7. #7
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Where does it go wrong for you, exactly? Is there no prompt to start in offline mode after failing to connect, or does the attempt to start in offline mode fail?
    Usually it throws a popup saying it can't connect and asking you to either cancel or start in offline mode. Then you click the "Start in offline mode" and it throws an error saying there's no connection. The things I say at those times...

  8. #8
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    180
    I had the same problem. For me, it fails after clicking "Start in Offline Mode".

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus jnx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    I think that's only 1/2 the issue. The other 1/2 is that you still have to set Steam to offline mode while your connected to the internet for it to be available later when your not connected to the internet.
    Actually not so. My connection recently went down yet I was able to reboot steam in offline mode and play games.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

  10. #10
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    16
    Haha yes! I just got back from a 10 day holiday with no internet. I spent at least an hour checking offline mode was working on my laptop before I left.

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,686
    I thought offline mode was broken only for those weird people who turn off their PC without shutting down the program.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The land of slain white knights
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    I thought offline mode was broken only for those weird people who turn off their PC without shutting down the program.
    You compulsively close every program before hitting shutdown on the start menu? What kind of sicko are you?

  13. #13
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    You compulsively close every program before hitting shutdown on the start menu? What kind of sicko are you?
    Sometimes I just rip the plug out of the wall so the pc knows who the boss is.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  14. #14
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Sometimes I just rip the plug out of the wall so the pc knows who the boss is.
    As it turns out, even that doesn't prevent Steam from starting in offline mode. The problem must be system-specific.

  15. #15
    Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cold Toast, Straya
    Posts
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Sometimes I just rip the plug out of the wall so the pc knows who the boss is.
    Thanks Helio, I almost spat beer all over my laptop.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

  16. #16
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    You compulsively close every program before hitting shutdown on the start menu? What kind of sicko are you?
    Uh, yeah that's how you shut down.
    (except I close every running program before using alt-f4 to shut down, but yeah)

  17. #17
    Lesser Hivemind Node Stellar Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    I thought offline mode was broken only for those weird people who turn off their PC without shutting down the program.
    As far as I recently became aware this was the case. I found a place where you had to edit two hex values in a file and hey presto, you could start offline even if you hadn't shut down before closing Windows.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

  18. #18
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Duck View Post
    As far as I recently became aware this was the case. I found a place where you had to edit two hex values in a file and hey presto, you could start offline even if you hadn't shut down before closing Windows.
    That can't be. The moment I saw this thread I hit Restart when Steam, six tabs and a bunch of other programs were still open, and once it was done rebooting I was able to start Steam in offline mode without a network connection, no problem.

  19. #19
    Lesser Hivemind Node Stellar Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    That can't be. The moment I saw this thread I hit Restart when Steam, six tabs and a bunch of other programs were still open, and once it was done rebooting I was able to start Steam in offline mode without a network connection, no problem.
    Well, I'm not going to tell you you're wrong. I will tell you that last week my internet was out for 3 days and I couldn't get Steam to do offline. Some Google searches on my phone later I found a forum post telling me to edit the two hex values which I did. And then Steam worked.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

  20. #20
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1
    Unless they've gotten around to fixing this too - you need to have your account set up to autologin in order for offline mode to start without connection. Could explain some of the spotty reports of functionality.

    Which, to me, is a massive design flaw. I don't like leaving stuff that's got my credit card on file on autologin. Seems like a good way for somebody to screw you over, not to mention a good way for somebody to grab a password hash off your HD and thereby pwn you. It's not that hard to have it auto-offline with the last-used user.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •