Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obscure Node

Front page news? Steam offline mode fixed?!

I turn my PC on this morning, Steam Self Updater boots up and I actually read the patch notes for a change...

[-]August 20, 2012 - Steam client update released

A Steam client update is now available. To apply the update, click the Steam menu inside of Steam and then select "Check for Steam Client Updates...". The specific changes include:

- Fixed broken offline mode if Steam process didn't shutdown correctly

Of course only time will tell if this is true! I'm so excited.

Source: http://store.steampowered.com/news/8691/

I think that's only 1/2 the issue. The other 1/2 is that you still have to set Steam to offline mode while your connected to the internet for it to be available later when your not connected to the internet.

Obscure Node
    Haha yes! I just got back from a 10 day holiday with no internet. I spent at least an hour checking offline mode was working on my laptop before I left.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    I think that's only 1/2 the issue. The other 1/2 is that you still have to set Steam to offline mode while your connected to the internet for it to be available later when your not connected to the internet.
    I can start Steam in offline mode without an internet connection, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Xari View Post
    I can start Steam in offline mode without an internet connection, though.
    But I can't.
    I tried almost every day for six months on my commute and offline mode didn't work once.

Fuck all client based drms.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I thought offline mode was broken only for those weird people who turn off their PC without shutting down the program.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    I thought offline mode was broken only for those weird people who turn off their PC without shutting down the program.
    You compulsively close every program before hitting shutdown on the start menu? What kind of sicko are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    But I can't.
    I tried almost every day for six months on my commute and offline mode didn't work once.

Fuck all client based drms.
    Where does it go wrong for you, exactly? Is there no prompt to start in offline mode after failing to connect, or does the attempt to start in offline mode fail?

Obscure Node
    For me it has often failed after clicking the button that says start in offline mode. I may have had it where I don't even get the prompt though, can't really remember.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Where does it go wrong for you, exactly? Is there no prompt to start in offline mode after failing to connect, or does the attempt to start in offline mode fail?
    Usually it throws a popup saying it can't connect and asking you to either cancel or start in offline mode. Then you click the "Start in offline mode" and it throws an error saying there's no connection. The things I say at those times...

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    Actually not so. My connection recently went down yet I was able to reboot steam in offline mode and play games.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

What? Offline mode works fine for me. No complaints here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    You compulsively close every program before hitting shutdown on the start menu? What kind of sicko are you?
    Sometimes I just rip the plug out of the wall so the pc knows who the boss is.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    As far as I recently became aware this was the case. I found a place where you had to edit two hex values in a file and hey presto, you could start offline even if you hadn't shut down before closing Windows.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Duck View Post
    As far as I recently became aware this was the case. I found a place where you had to edit two hex values in a file and hey presto, you could start offline even if you hadn't shut down before closing Windows.
    That can't be. The moment I saw this thread I hit Restart when Steam, six tabs and a bunch of other programs were still open, and once it was done rebooting I was able to start Steam in offline mode without a network connection, no problem.

Obscure Node
    Well, all I know is when I moved into my new flat and was waiting for my net to be connected I tried using offline mode and just got the error that it couldn't connect to Steam servers. (Really? No shit Sherlock) So yeah, that didn't work too good.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Sometimes I just rip the plug out of the wall so the pc knows who the boss is.
    As it turns out, even that doesn't prevent Steam from starting in offline mode. The problem must be system-specific.

Obscure Node
    LTK - did you rip the plug out of the wall just now? :P

If so I'm glad that Steam offline mode works as expected finally. I'm pretty sure if you had tried that a few days ago it wouldn't have.

Technically, I didn't, but pulling the plug on a laptop isn't going to do much, so instead I did a hard shutdown by holding down the power button. It has the same effect as pulling the plug: If Steam does an operation that only allows it to start in offline mode after exiting normally, then it shouldn't be able to do that after a hard shutdown. It still works, so whatever happens to Steam when it's online has no bearing on whether it can go offline.

I lost my internet connection for a weekend couple of weeks ago (switching ISPs, and the bastards couldn't agree on timing...). I closed all stuff normally when I still had my connection, including Steam, and the next time I booted it up I had no connection. Got a prompt asking whether or not I'd like to start Steam in offline mode. Played SR3 happily through the weekend.

...but yeah, if that means that they really fixed the issue where you have not closed Steam normally, it's front page news indeed.