Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    That can't be. The moment I saw this thread I hit Restart when Steam, six tabs and a bunch of other programs were still open, and once it was done rebooting I was able to start Steam in offline mode without a network connection, no problem.
    Well, I'm not going to tell you you're wrong. I will tell you that last week my internet was out for 3 days and I couldn't get Steam to do offline. Some Google searches on my phone later I found a forum post telling me to edit the two hex values which I did. And then Steam worked.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

But the patch went up today, not last week.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I haven't had a chance to test this (or even read this whole thread) but this makes me super excited!!! Maybe I'll consider riding the bus to work again.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Offline mode almost always works for me, when it doesn't its one of two reasons:

1) I have a network connection, but not a connection to the steam servers. (Either because they are down, or my ISP is having issues)
    2) Steam was due to install a client update on next boot.

In case 1, making sure I don't have a network connection works just fine. In case 2, nothing under the sun - short of re-establishing an internet connection - seems to work. Oddly, the issue this patch claims to fix, case 3 (the Steam client exited uncleanly) hasn't caused me trouble for years, although used to be a problem. It might just be because this hasn't coincided with a loos of internet connection.
    My Blog|Steam|GW2 Main: Chakan Khimar

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Sometimes I just rip the plug out of the wall so the pc knows who the boss is.
    Thanks Helio, I almost spat beer all over my laptop.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    I thought offline mode was broken only for those weird people who turn off their PC without shutting down the program.
    Not so! (I could give the list of the perfectly normal things I do that cause Steam Offline mode to have problems, but people rarely believe me that I'm not secretly doing something stupid. =P)
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

At LAN parties I used to host years ago we found that disconnecting the LAN cable when starting Steam caused it to behave better when there was no internet connection...
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yep. It seems it's a fault with WINDOWS not Steam. Steam tries to connect to the server when starting up, and Windows goes "server down", so Steam tries again etc, but does not tick over to offline mode. You have to unplug the network, turn off the wifi, or just get Windows to say "no network" and Steam kicks over to offline mode. At least AFAIK.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I've only used offline a few times. Last year my Internet was out for 2 weeks, and I complained to a friend about not being able to play Steam games (he often defends DRM, the filthy traitor), who then pointed out the existence of Steam's offline mode. Didn't have any problems switching over.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    You compulsively close every program before hitting shutdown on the start menu? What kind of sicko are you?
    Uh, yeah that's how you shut down.
    (except I close every running program before using alt-f4 to shut down, but yeah)

Obscure Node
    The fact of the matter is that many, many people have had problems with Steam offline mode in the past. It will be interesting to see if people run into further problems after this fix.

Network Hub
    I had the same problem. For me, it fails after clicking "Start in Offline Mode".

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Yep. It seems it's a fault with WINDOWS not Steam. Steam tries to connect to the server when starting up, and Windows goes "server down", so Steam tries again etc, but does not tick over to offline mode. You have to unplug the network, turn off the wifi, or just get Windows to say "no network" and Steam kicks over to offline mode. At least AFAIK.
    Steam's DRM prevents you from playing a game you've installed on your computer. Blame windows.

This is the stange effect Steam has to get people to actually justify broken DRM. I've yet to hear Uplay being defended by blaming bad ISP's.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Obscure Node
    Unless they've gotten around to fixing this too - you need to have your account set up to autologin in order for offline mode to start without connection. Could explain some of the spotty reports of functionality.

Which, to me, is a massive design flaw. I don't like leaving stuff that's got my credit card on file on autologin. Seems like a good way for somebody to screw you over, not to mention a good way for somebody to grab a password hash off your HD and thereby pwn you. It's not that hard to have it auto-offline with the last-used user.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Wait, Valve releases a fix for a feature that lots of people insist never had anything wrong with it to begin with?

Does that mean that all the people saying that offline mode always worked for everyone and never had a problem with it were wrong?
    Last edited by soldant; 23-08-2012 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Clarification: Meatbag.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Wait, Valve releases a fix for a feature that lots of people insist never had anything wrong with it to begin with?

Does that mean that all the people saying that offline mode always worked for everyone and never had a problem with it were wrong?
    Fuck, even I said the offline mode was borked. I dunno who you're talking about.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Fuck, even I said the offline mode was borked. I dunno who you're talking about.
    Whenever someone complained that offline mode didn't work, plenty of people would get up and say "That was in the old days! I've never had a problem with it! Clearly, you're doing something wrong! VALVE FOREVER!" and so on.

Those same people would also often claim that Steam is not a form of DRM. Because Valve, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by GH Moose View Post
    Unless they've gotten around to fixing this too - you need to have your account set up to autologin in order for offline mode to start without connection. Could explain some of the spotty reports of functionality.
    Well that could explain my experiences; I have it always set on autologin.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Whenever someone complained that offline mode didn't work, plenty of people would get up and say "That was in the old days! I've never had a problem with it! Clearly, you're doing something wrong! VALVE FOREVER!" and so on.

Those same people would also often claim that Steam is not a form of DRM. Because Valve, that's why.
    Name names, yo!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen