Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
  1. #1
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    57

    Guild Wars 2 game mechanics

    While fooling around with Build Editor I saw some terms that were quite interesting. We've all heard about combos but how much do you know about them? Do you know how to create an effective combo? Maybe we could start working on some basic tactics if we knew some more about mechanics behind Guild Wars 2? I'm not talking about minmaxing, because I don't like going into extremes but I think it would be really fun if we could plan some cross-profession combos and try to execute them in game.

    Another curious thing I've found are chains. It's interesting mechanic but there's one thing I don't get. I'll give you an example. Mesmer's first sword skill is Mind Slash, and it has two chain skills - Mind Gash and Mind Stab. How do I use this chain? Are they performed automatically, or do I have to press 1 at the right moment to trigger it?

    And last but not least, the Wiki page. It's pointless to discuss all this stuff without it.

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spainishtan
    Posts
    1,850
    Russian? Link the English/German one from the other thread.

  3. #3
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    57
    The Russian one is better because it gives you an option to dabble with gear as well. And it's Russian/English so it shouldn't be a problem really.

  4. #4
    Lesser Hivemind Node Timofee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedrill View Post
    While fooling around with Build Editor I saw some terms that were quite interesting. We've all heard about combos but how much do you know about them? Do you know how to create an effective combo? Maybe we could start working on some basic tactics if we knew some more about mechanics behind Guild Wars 2? I'm not talking about minmaxing, because I don't like going into extremes but I think it would be really fun if we could plan some cross-profession combos and try to execute them in game.

    Another curious thing I've found are chains. It's interesting mechanic but there's one thing I don't get. I'll give you an example. Mesmer's first sword skill is Mind Slash, and it has two chain skills - Mind Gash and Mind Stab. How do I use this chain? Are they performed automatically, or do I have to press 1 at the right moment to trigger it?

    And last but not least, the Wiki page. It's pointless to discuss all this stuff without it.
    I've struggled with combos a little bit, aside from seeing it pop up occasionally I'm only aware of when I put a combo field down rather than when I'm using other peoples.

    The chains happen automatically, the one bit I'm not sure about it whether firing off another ability resets them to the first one in the chain - I don't think it does, but not 100% sure

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spainishtan
    Posts
    1,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedrill View Post
    The Russian one is better because it gives you an option to dabble with gear as well. And it's Russian/English so it shouldn't be a problem really.
    How do you change to English?

  6. #6
    Lesser Hivemind Node Timofee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    How do you change to English?
    About halfway down the screen are Ru and En next to each other, click En

  7. #7
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    I've struggled with combos a little bit, aside from seeing it pop up occasionally I'm only aware of when I put a combo field down rather than when I'm using other peoples.

    The chains happen automatically, the one bit I'm not sure about it whether firing off another ability resets them to the first one in the chain - I don't think it does, but not 100% sure
    That's why I think it would be fun to try to plan some combos and then perform them in game. Of course it will be difficult but also very rewarding when (if) we manage to do that.

    And the chains. Quoting Wiki: "Using a skill not in the chain after a chain has started will interrupt it and require you to restart the chain.[1]If a character is knocked down, stunned, or otherwise interrupted their skill chain will also reset."
    That's pretty clear - it does reset your chain. I'm still not sure they happen automatically, since Mesmer's 3rd sword skill creates clone that leaps to the enemy and then player can switch places with this clone. It's treated like a chain, and it's completely optional. I'm really confused now, and three weeks will pass before I'll be able to find out myself. Terrible!

  8. #8
    Network Hub Salix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    161
    If I remember right, the skills that can be used in a combo actually say that in the tooltip. I didn't spend that much time experimenting but I think it might be a little difficult to get any sort of organised combo outside of small group play due to the sheer chaos of combat. Also, some of the classes seem to be much more heavily weighted towards combos since playing as a necro and just checking over the wiki shows that there are some serious difference in the number of combo-related skills.

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spainishtan
    Posts
    1,850
    Crowd Control Warrior. I'm not sure about numbers, but I'm pretty sure I can keep someone in place or slowly trying to scape forever.

    http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fIQQ...kjIZRLOGZsRYmB

    Now, damage is pretty shitty.
    Last edited by pakoito; 06-08-2012 at 12:17 AM.

  10. #10
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    1,669
    Only thing is, that you may know, what is combo field or what skill is finisher, but you also need to know effects: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

  11. #11
    Network Hub sendmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    368
    I played around with combos a little bit in beta. As per the wiki you can create a combo from just your own skills or of course from using your skill in (or through) the area effect skill of another player. So they always start by someone casting an aoe, then while standing in or aiming through the aoe use a non-aoe skill (i.e firing an arrow or using a leap or charge skill), which then either creates the combo effect of another aoe (offensive or defensive depending on the skill type you use) or it adds an effect to your non-aoe skill (like fire on to arrows).

    I can see teams using a single aoe to setup a spike using the added damage, or for mass stacking of a specific condition. Also as a defensive panic button, as it only takes one person using a blast finisher in an aoe to create a groupwide effect. You only have to call to your team the aoe type when you cast it (i.e. smoke), so your team can judge which skill types to use in it. In this way anyone with water aoe for example would not be the sole healer, they would just be the one responsible for enabling the rest of the team to add healing. On the defensive side if you can spot the visual clue of an aoe, you can also guess approximately what the opposition's combo may be and take appropriate action - i.e. water aoe you know they are looking to heal, poison aoe they are going to spread conditions.

    One example could be 3 players all taking their own smoke aoe and using it in rotation , so you perpetually have a smoke aoe up and firing through it with projectile skills to keep blind spammed on the opposition. Also while using secondary skills / traits which cause additional effects on targets suffering from blind, i.e. there are some which create confusion on blinded targets.

    What is interesting I think is what happens if you use a skill in two different types of aoe, does it lead to both effects or just one? If it's both then you can start to get some really devious combos even without factoring in secondary skills or traits, such as setting opponents on fire while also adding confusion to damage them if they try to use a condition removal skill.

    I'm assuming combos only work in friendly aoe, need to test/research this, otherwise it opens up another area of tactics.
    Last edited by sendmark; 06-08-2012 at 06:04 PM.

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spainishtan
    Posts
    1,850
    I need an explanation on Chains, please.

  13. #13
    Network Hub sendmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    368
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Chain

    Chains are effectively where you use the same skill 3 times in a row, so everytime you use it there's a bigger effect. It's like an oldschool beat-em-up mechanic. If you use a different skill in the middle of the chain, or get knocked down or interrupted by an enemy, then your chain is reset back to thee first step.

    Worth bearing in mind the first skill on a weapon is the only one with a chain effect, so you just need to press the 1 key three times in a row.

  14. #14
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spainishtan
    Posts
    1,850
    I was expecting more from it to be honest, like linking some skills in others. Yomi does this excellently and it can be easily applicable to MMOs.

  15. #15
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Squiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arcadia
    Posts
    4,635
    It will probably be much more easy to set up combos after we have played the game for a while and have seen the visuals of the skills for a couple of times. But we could also meet up every now and then to practice comboing a bit. Since we've got the luxury of a mumble server, we should have little trouble calling and successfully pulling off combos in a halfway coordinated fashion.

    Edit: Oh and I sendmark about the potency of such coordinated play. If GW1's PvP is only a half decent predictor for GW2's PvP, coordination will be a big part of being successful.
    Last edited by Squiz; 06-08-2012 at 07:35 AM.
    Forum janitor in training.

  16. #16
    Activated Node Kismet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by sendmark View Post
    What is interesting I think is what happens if you use a skill in two different types of aoe, does it lead to both effects or just one? If it's both then you can start to get some really devious combos even without factoring in secondary skills or traits, such as setting opponents on fire while also adding confusion to damage them if they try to use a condition removal skill.
    It seems only the first combo field triggers an effect. Here's an interesting thread on Guild Wars 2 Guru with some combo fields testing.

    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    I was expecting more from it to be honest, like linking some skills in others. Yomi does this excellently and it can be easily applicable to MMOs.
    The first Guild Wars had "open" chains for assassin attacks. In Guild Wars 2 it indeed seems to be pretty much only about bar compression and ensuring a certain commitment (in terms of time spent not using other skills) to gain a more powerful effect.
    Last edited by Kismet; 06-08-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    No stone left unturned. No tree left unpruned.

  17. #17
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by sendmark View Post
    I played around with combos a little bit in beta. As per the wiki you can create a combo from just your own skills or of course from using your skill in (or through) the area effect skill of another player. So they always start by someone casting an aoe, then while standing in or aiming through the aoe use a non-aoe skill (i.e firing an arrow or using a leap or charge skill), which then either creates the combo effect of another aoe (offensive or defensive depending on the skill type you use) or it adds an effect to your non-aoe skill (like fire on to arrows).

    Aoes do not combo with each other, so it's always aoe followed by non aoe to create a combo.

    I can see teams using a single aoe to setup a spike using the added damage, or for mass stacking of a specific condition. Also as a defensive panic button, as it only takes one person using a blast finisher in an aoe to create a groupwide effect. You only have to call to your team the aoe type when you cast it (i.e. smoke), so your team can judge which skill types to use in it. In this way anyone with water aoe for example would not be the sole healer, they would just be the one responsible for enabling the rest of the team to add healing. On the defensive side if you can spot the visual clue of an aoe, you can also guess approximately what the opposition's combo may be and take appropriate action - i.e. water aoe you know they are looking to heal, poison aoe they are going to spread conditions.

    One example could be 3 players all taking their own smoke aoe and using it in rotation , so you perpetually have a smoke aoe up and firing through it with projectile skills to keep blind spammed on the opposition. Also while using secondary skills / traits which cause additional effects on targets suffering from blind, i.e. there are some which create confusion on blinded targets.

    What is interesting I think is what happens if you use a skill in two different types of aoe, does it lead to both effects or just one? If it's both then you can start to get some really devious combos even without factoring in secondary skills or traits, such as setting opponents on fire while also adding confusion to damage them if they try to use a condition removal skill.

    I'm assuming combos only work in friendly aoe, need to test/research this, otherwise it opens up another area of tactics.
    Thank you for this post. That was very clear and useful summary on the topic. As you can see, there's enough room for cooperation and training. It will be fun!

    One thing though - Combo finisher can be AoE. You already mentioned blast, and there's also whirl, so... It's not really important, I just want to avoid confusion.

    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    It will probably be much more easy to set up combos after we have played the game for a while and have seen the visuals of the skills for a couple of times. But we could also meet up every now and then to practice comboing a bit. Since we've got the luxury of a mumble server, we should have little trouble calling and successfully pulling off combos in a halfway coordinated fashion.

    Edit: Oh and I sendmark about the potency of such coordinated play. If GW1's PvP is only a half decent predictor for GW2's PvP, coordination will be a big part of being successful.
    That's what I'm hoping for. It can be really interesting to find out all the available tactics for our team.

  18. #18
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spainishtan
    Posts
    1,850
    How long is the cooldown to switch weapons?

  19. #19

  20. #20
    Network Hub sendmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedrill View Post
    One thing though - Combo finisher can be AoE. You already mentioned blast, and there's also whirl, so... It's not really important, I just want to avoid confusion.
    Thanks I have edited that line out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •