Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Binds?

Binds?

Just read a guide that suggested you should bind dodge to a button (possibly mouse) - which I am definitely going to do as you stop if you double tap the move key.

-----

Now unless I have missed something major there is no click to move (really wish there was actually) - and its very hard to hit the 7890 keys whilst still moving.

So how do people set their keyboards up?

Any clever ideas?

You either double-tap a direction to dodge, or bind a key/mouse button to the 'dodge' key, makes you roll in the direction you're moving.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    For me at the moment.
    ESDF - movement keys.
    Shift - Dodge key.
    QWRTA - Weapon skills
    1234 - utility and elite.
    H - healing skill.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Network Hub
    I got dodge bound to middle mouse button (pressing the mouse wheel), I don't remember if it was a default or I configured it. It's really comfortable.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    For me at the moment.
    ESDF - movement keys.
    Shift - Dodge key.
    QWRTA - Weapon skills
    1234 - utility and elite.
    H - healing skill.
    That seems like a good setup, might have to try it

Network Hub
    I've been watching some of Ed Parks stuff, he's pretty fascinating to listen to especially from a PvP standpoint. Straight talking, no nonsense all round good guy. I'm using a slightly edited version of his GW2 keybinds:

gw2-keybinds2.jpg

One of the most interesting things I learned / realised was that back peddling is not a grea thing to do, as right across the board with almost any game, its the slowest way to travel. Hence no back pedal key is bound.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I was looking around or alternative control devices for GW2 and settled on a Razer Naga. So now that does all my 1-10 skills, which takes a little getting used to (and the Naga is too small a mouse for some hands, it's borderline for me) but the logical layout of the buttons helps with muscle memory.

This leaves my left hand with only about targeting and movement to worry about. Also the unused keys 1-4 are now my profession skill keys, easier to reach than the F-keys.

For moving:
    Dodge -> L Shift
    ...although I may swap this and Spacebar (Jump), since you need to hold Shfit to draw on the map and can't rebind that

For targettting:
    Next Target -> Tab
    Nearest Target -> Q (extremely handy!)
    Last edited by Screwie; 23-08-2012 at 01:26 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I has big hands but

`12345 - weapon change and weapon skills
    wasd - movement
    qertf - healing, utility and elite skills
    shift - dodge
    mouse 3 - loot
    mouse 4 - autorun
    zxcv - class skills (or z as my warrior and necro will only use 1)

I'm looking to pick up a Razer Nostromo keypad in the near future, not specifically for GW2 but as a general aid for the amounts of PC games I'm playing these days.

In the meantime, I'll be adjusting a few things on the keyboard. I come from a WoW background and was a UI customizing fiend so here are some thoughts based on my experience:

The primary change that everyone should do right away is remove "Turn Left" and "Turn Right" as these controls are utterly useless. Bind A and D to strafe left and right, and use the mouse to turn. This is far more efficient, quicker, and frees up two keys (Q and E) that you can bind elsewhere. Take dodge off double-tap and use a dedicated dodge key which will dodge in your current direction (or back if pressed alone.)

Next, take Heal and the Utilities off 6-0 on the number keys and any class functions of the F-keys. You can't reach these properly whilst moving, and you really need to keep moving in GW2. If you don't have a mouse with a zillion buttons, I'd recommend using a modifier key (like Shift or CTRL) to double- or triple-up the amount of keys you can comfortably reach.

For me, this means: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Tab, Q, E, R, F, T, G, V, Space. This gives you about 30-40 effective keys, depending on what you can reach easily and what you're happy modifying (I don't like using modifier+space for example).

On the mouse, I'd recommend using mwheelup and mwheel down as two seperate controls (like cycling back and forth between targets, freeing tab for something like weapon swap). Don't forget middle-click, as well as any wheel tilt buttons you might have open to you.

All of this is massive overkill for GW2, which doesn't give you tons of skills at any one time and no macros, so the story is really one about picking and choosing what is most comfortable for you. The last thing to say is don't forget about convenience buttons, like your inventory or map screens. Sure they have dedicated keyboard buttons and you don 't need them in combat, but it's still nice to be able to flip the map open and closed quickly without having to move your hands.

For the amount of time you might spend in an MMO, it's well worth taking the time to set the control scheme perfectly out of the gates.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFizz View Post
    One of the most interesting things I learned / realised was that back peddling is not a grea thing to do, as right across the board with almost any game, its the slowest way to travel. Hence no back pedal key is bound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beard Of Bees View Post
    The primary change that everyone should do right away is remove "Turn Left" and "Turn Right" as these controls are utterly useless. Bind A and D to strafe left and right, and use the mouse to turn. This is far more efficient, quicker, and frees up two keys (Q and E) that you can bind elsewhere.
    A corollary to these ideas is that you might like to try replacing "backwards" with "turn 180" as the S in your WSAD. I did give this a try in an earlier beta weekend and found that while mouselook is on it disables the 180 turn, which is a bit annoying the middle of a hectic fight. Hopefully they've changed that since.

Also! I like to bind a key to the walk toggle, since it's nice of ANet to include such a thing. Put the keybind somewhere out of the way as it's not a combat thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Beard Of Bees View Post
    On the mouse, I'd recommend using mwheelup and mwheel down as two seperate controls (like cycling back and forth between targets, freeing tab for something like weapon swap). Don't forget middle-click, as well as any wheel tilt buttons you might have open to you.
    Nice idea! I've used the mousewheel for target cycling in other MMOs but neglected to look it for GW2. I will be trying that this weekend.

I used to use a lot of keys with modifiers like Ctrl, Shift and Alt in WoW days and once you got the hang of it, it worked really well. I haven't tried it with Guild Wars 2 yet, is it even supported in the controls menu? I don't remember seeing any button being with a modifier by default. Would be silly if they don't have it. Has anyone already tried this?

Which means you can't roll backwards.

If you play any soft of ranged character, that's going to give your troubles, as you can't root/cc an enemy and put distance while facing him, you have to turn around (and lose line of sight) or be limited to rolling sideways. I'm sure I don't have to belabour the point of why this is a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Taverius View Post
    Which means you can't roll backwards.

If you play any soft of ranged character, that's going to give your troubles, as you can't root/cc an enemy and put distance while facing him, you have to turn around (and lose line of sight) or be limited to rolling sideways. I'm sure I don't have to belabour the point of why this is a bad idea.
    If you don't press any direction key, the dodge will always be backwards. It's not really intuitively but you get used to it.

Really? Did not know that, please disregard previous post

I've been watching some of Ed Parks stuff, he's pretty fascinating to listen to especially from a PvP standpoint. Straight talking, no nonsense all round good guy. I'm using a slightly edited version of his GW2 keybinds:

gw2-keybinds2.jpg

This is quite interesting way to use keyboard. But why then limit yourself to WER for movement?

I use WASD (and obviously hold RMB) for movement. Many people say to unbind backwards (S) because you never want to use it. I disagree though because there are times when moving directly backwards is beneficial, usually when fighting a class that does extra damage from behind, or when moving on narrow ledges.

I then use E, shift E, R, F, shift F for weapon skills. X for healing. Then you have Q, shift Q, shift R, and C / shift C for utility (this might seem like an odd arrangement of keys but they are the key's closest to WASD that I consider less comfy than the weapon skill keys which take precedence.) Then I use my two extra mouse buttons, with a shift modifier, for the 4 proffession skills. Shift space for switch weapon and left Alt for 'use' or 'interact'.

I quite like this setup, the main benefits are that with no number keys you never have to take your middle finger of W, ever. This means you can always strafe using the RMB. Secondly, you never have to use a key that is more than 1 space away from WASD, yeh I'm lazy. And lastly all the proffession skills are on the mouse. This means when I'm playing Elementalist I can have my finger on the skill I want to use next (R for example) whilst I change attunement with my mouse hand's thumb. This means there is no travel time whilst my finger hits one key then moves to another, unlike the default setup. For example, F4 (Earth attunement) then 5 (Shockwave) is exruciatingly slow in pvp.
    Last edited by duff; 23-08-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    And lastly all the proffession skills are on the mouse.
    So multibutton mouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    So multibutton mouse?
    Just a logitech G500 with 3 thumb buttons on the side. I only use two of them with shift modifiers for the 4 skills. I tried a fancy Razer mouse but it was just so small and light, felt like cheap shit.

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Just a logitech G500 with 3 thumb buttons on the side. I only use two of them with shift modifiers for the 4 skills. I tried a fancy Razer mouse but it was just so small and light, felt like cheap shit.
    Too poor spending that much for a mouse :/

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I got my g500 for 25, I'm sure you could find one for similar. Tis definitely one of the better mice I've used, I have a deathadder at work and it doesn't feel nearly as good (I have big hands though).