Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Binds?

Cheers guys this is exactly the kind of thing I was after.

Just tried to bind targeting to the mousewheel in the stress test and no joy! Boo! It didn't look like you could bind it at all. Along with shift and CTRL modifiers, there goes 6 really easy to reach binding keys.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    What you can however do (at least, as far as I remember), is use something like AutoHotkey to activate something when you scroll and block the scroll event, so you'd bind the actions to a random keyboard key and then fire that key with AHK when you scroll.

I do not know whether this would violate the terms of the game though, as some games ban macro usage.

You can generally use your mouse's software to bind the button to a keyboard key for gw2.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I thought so, and while this is true for just about any button, the mousewheel scroll (be it up or down) isn't a button per se and thus many drivers don't allow you to rebind that.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    This is quite interesting way to use keyboard. But why then limit yourself to WER for movement?
    I use that setup but with a turn 180 key. WER is used because there is no backpedal key, and thats all you need really as the mouse is for turning.

But that also means you can't look behind you as you go unless you also bind look backwards. So that's what, two extra buttons? Turning the view with the mouse is too slow for quick 180s.

I'll keep backpedal for that, let alone jumping puzzles.

Network Hub
    if you move around using strafe to evade and break line of sight, you can get a view of anywhere super quick, infact I hardly use the 180 key.

My PvE binds are moderately different, and includes backpedal.

Network Hub
    Woah!!! Spending money for a gaming mouse is a big NO NO for me. No problem for those who are financially capable. Me? I just make use of the key binds setup for GW2 I found on the web.

Network Hub
    this i do. i've never find any other smarter way to do it.

Wow, my level 30 thief now acts like a rabid sociopath since I've tried these sensible keybinds, healing myself when attempting to equip, firing bombs when just walking... I got quite used to the finger gymnastics of horizontal straight line typing, and it's much more difficult than anticipated to get adjusted to attacking with QWART than imagined. Still, it's for the good cause. ESDF!

I don't get all this use of switching from WASD. With WoW is was pretty sensible as you had loaaaads of abilities.

In GW2 though, you don't. I'd much prefer to just bind everything to my mouse. I use:

1-5 = As normal
    F1-F4 = Shift+1-4 (I find it easier to reach 1-4 with a modifier than reaching just that bit further for F keys)
    MB4 = Heal
    MB5 = Utility 1
    Shift+MB4 = Utility 2
    Shift+MB5 = Utility 3
    Ctr+MB5 = Elite
    MM = Weapon Swap (Means my left hand can be a bit more stationary)

Then for my Elementalist for example, I have offensive abilities on Utility 1 and 3, with defensive on Utility 2. It's easy to distinguish then across all my characters that that's the button combo I press to avoid an attack (On Guardian for example it'll give me Aegis. Ranger it will use Lightning Reflex).

Using mouse modifiers means when I go for the dagger combo, it's a case of finishing with MB5 + Shift+MB5. It makes everything quite easy.

4 > 5 > Shift+1 > 3 > 5 > MB5 > Shift+MB5 > 4. (You can then throw in Shift+4 > 4 to put a 3s cooldown on their heal if they're casting it)

All your abilities are on separate hands. So your left hand isn't moving all over the keyboard trying to push Z's and C's. I dunno. It's just easier for me which is the main thing

Obscure Node
    The only thing that kinda bugs me is that keybinds are shared between all characters on your account. Redoing them every time I switch from my elementalist to any profession with weapon swapping gets kind of annoying after a while.

For the record, this is what I'm using on my elementalist:
    Weapon skills: 1-5
    Heal: Q
    Utility Skills: E, R, MB5
    Elite: 6
    Attunements: X, C, V, G
    Dodge: MB4

When playing other professions, I usually put my weapon switch on G and kinda switch the Utility and profession skills around, depending on what feels natural.

I'm using:

Weapon Skills: E, shift + E, R, F, shift + F
    Heal: X
    Utility Skills: C, V, shift + X
    Elite: 1
    Attunements: mouse button 4, mb4 + shift, mouse button 5, mb5 + shift
    Dodge: Double tap method

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    I'm using:

Weapon Skills: E, shift + E, R, F, shift + F
    Heal: X
    Utility Skills: C, V, shift + X
    Elite: 1
    Attunements: mouse button 4, mb4 + shift, mouse button 5, mb5 + shift
    Dodge: Double tap method
    What are your experiences with jumping puzzles?

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Probably avoids them like the devil Or he is vewy vewy caweful.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    I've only done the Ascalonian wall one, but yeh I might have to rethink that.

These are primarily my pvp binds really. Leave me alone OKAY!
    Last edited by duff; 26-09-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Different binds for different classes (or even worse PvE vs PvP) strike me as a bad idea.

You develop reflexes - as Car to Pol has found it can be very hard to change. You don't want to have to think what keys to press you need to react quicker than that - in PvP at least. PvE is pretty forgiving (but to level 55 which is all I have reached thus far) so doesn't matter as much - but tap to dodge is impossible with jumping puzzles...

----

I am using normal 1,2,3,4,5
    Skill 6 789 0 are q ert g
    Use is F
    Swap weapon set is `
    Next target, previous target are tab, shift-tab

Dodge mouse 4 (thumb) - This is probably the single most important change - tap to dodge is TERRIBLE - especially in jumping puzzles but also PvP because you pause for a second to dodge which if you need to dodge is not a good thing! Feel so strongly its worth saying twice.
    Target nearest is mouse 5 (thumb 2)
    Middle mouse button - Push to talk (mumble is important )

F1 to F4 is currently zxcv but those aren't very easy to hit either. Not a big deal for my ranger but I might make them Shift 1234 for other classes - particularly for my new Ele.

----

Shift modifiers for mouse buttons is not something I had considered so I will have to ponder that.

One final thing: Hold LMB and RMB rns you forward. Good to reach a random button pressing when you need to keep moving.
    Last edited by Lightbulb; 26-09-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightbulb View Post
    Different binds for different classes (or even worse PvE vs PvP) strike me as a bad idea.

You develop reflexes - as Car to Pol has found it can be very hard to change.
    That's exactly the point though. Let's say I'm playing my elementalist, and I have Lightning Flash as my first Utility Skill. I've bound it to E, since I need to hit it quickly when I'm stunned, or if I want to readjust my position quickly. Having a movement skill on E also just feels natural. (Especially since that's what I bound Blink to when I played my mage in WoW.)

Now, after playing the elementalist for a while and getting used to the binds, I decide I want to try out a thief. And lo and behold, the thief has an easily usable movement skill as well! It's Steal. The only problem is, though, that it's the thief's first profession skill. In other words, what used to be Fire Attunement on my elementalist. So in order for the keybinds to feel logical, I rebind the first profession skill to E and swap the other keys around until they feel "logical".

Another example: If you play an engineer with lots of kits, your Utility Skills give you access to new skills and your profession skills are kinda just extra abilities. As an elementalist, your Utility Skills are simple abilities and your profession skills are used to access new skills. It's exactly the other way around.

I hadn't considered that issue. Makes sense...

Only really played the Guardian, Warrior and Ranger thus far so hadn't appreciated the subtleties of the other classes.

PvE and PvP though my point stands.