Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Binds?

algolicious - exactly, it would be really nice if you could rearrange the skills on your hotbar. That way you can loosely correlate skills, like always having your cripple or immobolize on R, or always having an aoe skill on C. That's pretty much how I did all my keybinds in other MMO's: so that there was some degree of similarity when playing different classes. As it is your weapon skills on an elementalist are even jumbled up between attunements - your circular aoe is number 2 on Earth, Fire and Water but number 5 on Air!? It's quite a horrible system for pvpers really. Utility skills are not so bad because you can switch them round easily but weapon skills being fixed into a slot really sucks.

God yes they need to add that. I used to do this is GW. 1&2 = interrupts, less used skills higher up...

I do miss that in GW2 but I cannot be arsed to remap my keys to achieve it and it would confuse my brain if the icons didn't tally with the keys.

I'm now using an AutoHotKey script on my mousewheel. When Guild Wars 2 is the active window, wheel up and down send keystrokes for { and }, which are mapped in GW2 to next and previous target. Shift and wheel up or down sends the wheel up and down input.

This means I can use the wheel for targeting, and just have the minor annoyance of having to hold shift when scrolling up and down windows, or zooming the map. After an hour or two, I'm totally used to that.

I'm also now fully in love with and dependent on my Nostromo. It's a beautiful little device.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    My attempt to make the game more playable:

Movement: WASD (I cannot possibly get used to something else)
    Dodge: MB4
    Weapon Skills 1-5: 1-5
    Healing Skill: Q
    Utility Skill 1-3: Z, X, C
    Elite Skill: R
    Profession Skill 1: E

Obviously, this only works well with the thief, as he/she only got one Profession Skill.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Looks good for a necro too, since they have just one profession skill. Been looking for a good set of binds that retains WASD, and yours is the best I've seen so far, TechnoJellyfish. Will give it a whirl. Only problem is that I do like to strafe, so will have to think about what to do with the native Q and E commands...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    My attempt to make the game more playable:

Movement: WASD (I cannot possibly get used to something else)
    Dodge: MB4
    Weapon Skills 1-5: 1-5
    Healing Skill: Q
    Utility Skill 1-3: Z, X, C
    Elite Skill: R
    Profession Skill 1: E

Obviously, this only works well with the thief, as he/she only got one Profession Skill.
    E and R seem to comfortable buttons to waste on such long cool down skills as Steal and Ulti, I'd Suggest E,R,F for utility or weapon skills in this setup, Z,X for steal and Ulti, C for Interaction, since it's using up good button otherwise for not really a skill.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    Looks good for a necro too, since they have just one profession skill. Been looking for a good set of binds that retains WASD, and yours is the best I've seen so far, TechnoJellyfish. Will give it a whirl. Only problem is that I do like to strafe, so will have to think about what to do with the native Q and E commands...
    Strafing is of course mapped to 'A' and 'D' as I do not use turn left/right at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    E and R seem to comfortable buttons to waste on such long cool down skills as Steal and Ulti, I'd Suggest E,R,F for utility or weapon skills in this setup, Z,X for steal and Ulti, C for Interaction, since it's using up good button otherwise for not really a skill.
    With the decreased recharge rate from Trickery, Steal has actually a shorter cooldown period than every Utility Skill I use and therefore I'm perfectly fine having them on the bottom row (also I like to have them grouped systematically, i. e. mapped to adjacent keys).

As for the Elite Skill, you got a fair point there. This setup is in no way definitive, so I may give your setup a try at some point. Thanks for the feedback!

Okay so I revised mine a bit:

Weapon Skills: E, shift+E, R, F, shift+F

Utility Skills: shift+R, Q, C

Healing: X

Proffession: mouse button 4, mb4+shift, mouse button 5, mb5+shift

Elite: 1

Interact: 2

Dodge: left Alt

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    I'd say Dodge space and jump left alt would help more in high reaction situations actually.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

I've worked out a setup fairly close to my usual FPS controls.

WASD movement, shift to jump, space to roll. TAB scoreboard, Q autorun, E heal, R is skill 5, F use, G map, ZXCV are 7890, Alt+1-4 are F1-4 keys, m3 is nearest target (+Ctrl for friendly), m4 and 5 are hero and inventory. Alt+W and +S are turnaround and back-view, Alt+A is weapon swap, Alt+D is holster weapons.

The downside to having Alt+ WASD bindings is that it prevents me from running if I'm holding Ctrl to spot enemies+nodes, though I can start moving and then hold Ctrl (this was a bit weird to figure out, I submitted a bug report).

Other misc stuff: Alt+F4 = instant quit, Alt+F5 for logout (requires a confirm), M mail, backspace=guild, \ to toggle chat.

It turns out there is one really nasty issue with using shift to jump in GW2, because it's also my swim-up key, and if you get beaten into knockdown-survival mode while underwater, swim-up becomes the "swim to surface" escape key. Mouse clicking an ability to save yourself WHILE holding shift does something fatal: it links the ability into the chat panel and leaves the input there. So in trying to escape death underwater, I accidentally typed something like "[skill-name]WW2W3WWWW4WWWWWWW" into the chat and committed suicide.

This just got me killed twice before I realized what was happening.

I tried unbinding swim-up and got knocked out on purpose, and you can swim normally to escape just fine. It's slightly more work to look around while swimming this way, but much much safer than than accidentally shift+clicking and linking an ability into the chat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Mine's nothing fancy, just some stuff moved around to make things easier to reach.

Movement: W A S D

Weapon skills: 1 2 3 4 5

Heal: 6

Utilities: Q E R

Elite: G

Profession skills: < Z X C (< is the one to the left of Z, probably something else on foreign keyboards)

Dodge: Mouse 5

About turn: Mouse 4

I only use about turn with one specific skill on one character so I might change that for the heal to make that always easy to reach while moving. Other than that I'm pretty happy with how it works right now.