Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Activated Node

Upgrading my processor

Hey guys! I was wondering if you could help me.

I've got an AMD Phenom X4 9650 that has a speed of 2.3 GHz and I am looking to upgrade it to something more powerful. What do you recommend? I am looking price-wise at 50-150.
    Steam name: Blankenhorne

Lesser Hivemind Node
    If you have an am2+ motherboard then you can upgrade to a phenom II (much faster).

Else you are shit out of luck and will need a new mobo (and new ram)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Phenom II's are a little hard to find, and they're a bit on the slow side by today's standards. Especially since AM2+ boards AFAIK usually don't support the most powerful phenom II's (the ones with a 125W TDP).

A platform upgrade - new motherboard and RAM in addition to a new CPU - will be more expensive but also bring far better results. More performance and more longevity; it's not much fun to just limp along for another year, compared to getting a good-as-new system that will last for 2-3+ years.

Not really specific advice (I'm not familiar with AMD CPU's), but what I did when I upgraded my old processor was looking at what CPU my motherboard could support, and searched for cheap 2nd hand ones at Ebay. Of course, 2nd hand buying isn't the safest bet, but it usually is quite a bit cheaper, thus making it worth the gamble.

Else the combination of mobo + CPU (+ RAM) Sakkura proposed is a good, but more expensive, option
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more

I just recently did the same. I had a Phenom 9750 and upgraded to a Phenom II 965. Went without problems, BIOS-update and done. But I did watch out for an upgrade path before buying the mainboard a few years ago, so I knew my ASUS M3A32 MVP would be able to handle the new Phenoms.

And while Phenom IIs are a bit overpriced IMO (I paid about 90€), they are certainly not hard to find these days..

So the most important info would be what mainboard you have right now and if it can handle the new Phenoms. Because if they do I really recommend getting one, they're great.
    Steam-Id inside.

They're hard to find at retail. Second-hand may be a different story, but then second-hand is... second-hand.

For example, Newegg has 12 socket AM3 desktop processors for sale, of which 2 are Phenom IIs. One is a 965 BE which has a 125W TDP and is likely incompatible with the OP's rig, the other is a refurbished x2 511.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Phenom II's are a little hard to find, and they're a bit on the slow side by today's standards. Especially since AM2+ boards AFAIK usually don't support the most powerful phenom II's (the ones with a 125W TDP).

A platform upgrade - new motherboard and RAM in addition to a new CPU - will be more expensive but also bring far better results. More performance and more longevity; it's not much fun to just limp along for another year, compared to getting a good-as-new system that will last for 2-3+ years.
    Lots of misinformation here.

Am2+ mobos do support them, all of them.

You wouldn't be limping with a good phenom II unless you have some crazy sli set up and a 120hz monitor....

Phenom II's are now really cheap last time I checked, hence why I suggested this is BY FAR the best bang for buck he could get if he has an am2 mobo....

Next you'll tell people with an i7 940 that they are limping too...

85 hz monitor here, there are only 3 games that don't run at 85 fps for me with a stock 3 core phenom II 720 BE. (tera, bf3 mp, sc2) and even those run fine. (40fps minimum , 60+ average)
    I used to run at 3.4ghz but downclocked back to stock 2.8 because it really made fuck all difference in games with my gpu and I'd rather be able to set my fan to 500rpm while gaming than OC and have a noisy cpu fan for no reason.

The guy asked for the cheapest worthwhile upgrade, I gave him that if he has the right mobo.
    You would have the poor fella immediately spend 300+ euros when for gaming he wouldn't be able to tell the difference for 90.
    He can get his pc up to snuff for next to nothing and you'd have him spend an arm and a leg.

today's 'standards' haven't changed from those during the intel core i7 era and back then even an athlon 2 x4 was deemed sufficient.

OP IF you have an am2+ mobo your best bet is to look for a second hand phenom II 955BE (they cost like 50 euros or less) and you'll be set for another two years on the cpu side.
    There's loads of muppets who upgraded to SB to boost their lousy gtx460s and hd 5770s so they should be easy to find.

For an all new build the i5 is great, but he can be a LOT cheaper off in his case...
    Last edited by Finicky; 23-08-2012 at 09:59 PM.

A refurbished X2 511 qualifies as limping along to me.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Moving goalposts, are we?

Why'd he buy that instead of a 955BE or better?

http://www.power4pc.be/webshop/cpu/a...65fbgmbox.html
    Pc store where I get my parts, 10+ in stock

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-3-4...s=phenom+II+x4
    Amazon, 57 stores listed

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-HDZ965FB...5776813&sr=8-1

Please don't be ridiculous, AM3 socket cpus are not phased out yet they are for sale everywhere, there is less choice in the Phenom II lineup now but the important ones are still for sale.

OP: this is all in case you have an am2+ mobo:p else it's useless to you:p

If you want to be off cheap and don't have an am2+ mobo then you could look for a combo deal online for a cheap am2+ mobo (not am3 as am3 only supports ddr3 so you'd have to buy new ram) and phenom II and still be set for like 130 euros.

An i5 2500k would in that case also be a possible upgrade but you'd have to also get new ram then (total cost for mobo+ cpu + ram will be 300-350 euros)

edit: actually aren't the amd fx 4000 cpus about equal to a phenom II for gaming? I stopped paying attention to bulldozer when it turned out to be a dissapointment, perhaps those can also be a cheap alternative.

Edit 2 : a cheap SB mobo with one of the cheap intel g850 (similar performance to i3 and phenom II) may sound like a good idea because it uses the same socket as the i5-2500k.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT:
    -intel are dicks and make you buy the more expensive P or Z series motherboard if you want to be able to overclock the cpu (why else would you buy an i5 if you wouldn't oc it)
    -you'd need new ram still
    -it's questionable if you'll still be able to find Sandy bridge cpus in stores in 2-3 years when you want to upgrade from that G850 (by then SB will be 2 generations behind and most likely phased out)

Atm you either go for the low budget but capable phenom II's or the more than twice as expensive and powerful sandy bridge cpus, there is no real middleground.

DO know that the SB (i5 2500k) route is not mandatory for mid range pc gaming at the moment.

When the next consoles hit in a year and a half things might change with another hardware requirements jump for ports, but even that is unlikely.
    Next consoles are rumored to use AMD jaguar cpus, which are shitty low voltage mobile cpus , less powerful than an i5 2500k.
    Last edited by Finicky; 24-08-2012 at 11:21 PM.

As an example, I told you which ones were available from Newegg, and eliminated the one that may not be compatible with the OPs motherboard (965 BE, which would be a pretty good option if it's supported). We'll need to know what motherboard he has to check that.

As for FX-4xxx CPUs, yes they're on a similar level as the better phenom IIs. That's still quite a ways behind new Core i5's of course. For a platform upgrade I'd probably go with Intel at the moment, even in the budget segment.

If you do get an Intel platform today, you can get an Ivy Bridge CPU in the future if you want an upgrade. The motherboard chipsets for Sandy Bridge do support Ivy Bridge after a BIOS update (which needs to be performed with a Sandy Bridge CPU installed, but that's fine if you're upgrading from one of those). Or you could just buy a cheap Ivy Bridge chip (desktop Ivy Bridge Core i3's launch in two weeks). That could still be swapped out for a better Ivy Bridge CPU later, though they won't be around forever.

AMD have just revealed a set of price cuts on processors. The 955 BE and 965 BE both get price cuts of around 20%, so IF they're compatible with the OP's motherboard they just became even better deals.

but it usually is quite a bit cheaper, thus making it worth the gamble.

Activated Node
    Thank you guys for the suggestions. My mobo is a Foxconn RS740M03-8EKRS2H AMD Socket AM2. I've looked at all the AM2 options on the AMD website, but am a bit confused with all the numbers.

So what should I do, choose an AM2 processor, or get a new mobo and new processor?
    Steam name: Blankenhorne

but it usually is quite a bit cheaper, thus making it worth the gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Orontes View Post
    So what should I do, choose an AM2 processor, or get a new mobo and new processor?
    That really depends on the money you want to spend, and when you think you'll next want to upgrade.

AM2 processor +quick, easy, cheaper
    - shorter term, lesser increase

New processor, motherboard, memory + long term solution, essentially having a new computer, possible huge increase
    - expense, completely gutting your current machine

Personally I'd go for the latter, but that's me and not you.

With that low-end motherboard, you wouldn't be able to get the most out of the few real upgrade options available (Phenom X4 9950 etc.). I really think you'll need to look into upgrading the motherboard and RAM as well as the processor.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    NO am2+ mobo so you're going to have to gut your machine afterall it seems.
    edit: the option for a cheap am2+ (not am3 or you need to replace ram) still exists btw, but it'll cost you 50 euros more than if you just needed a new cpu.

Thankfully ddr3 is quite cheap though.

If you can spend a lot then go for the i5 2500k...
    Other alternatives for intel are
    -the intel g850 (cheap dual core, that is about on par with phenom II in most games, though games that can use 4 cores will lag behind, I wouldn't get this but it's the lowest properly viable budget option for intel)
    Now that the phenom II is discounted it's an even less interesting buy for a budget build.

-i3 2100, costs as much as a phenom II cpu (mobo cost still higher), very fast for a dual core stock BUUUUT can't be overclocked at all (fuckin' intel douchebags locking cpus completely) and imo far from an ideal solution for long term : just like with c2duo buyers got fucked because once cpu dependant games can saturate 4 Phenom II cores the phenom II would still be a faster option. c2duo buyers had to buy new cpus, q2quad buyers are still more than set for gaming.
    Right now this thing is faster than a Phenom II core for core and clock for clock but the phenom II clocks much higher and has 4 cores....
    Good news is you'd have an upgrade path to the i5 later (but since that is going to inevitable I consider buying an i3 instead of the i5 2500k a waste of however many dollars the i3 costs., just pay the extra 100 and get the i5 right now then)

Conslusion: with intel if you want any value you are pretty much forced to go for broke and get the expensive p series mobo (for example asus P8H61-M) + i5 2500k combination. It is attractive because it is a fast cpu that overclocks well, if you have the money.

Amd would still be the fx4000 and bulldozer mobo or am3 mobo + phenom II (now with discount) depending on which is cheaper.
    You could shell down an extra 20 for the 6 core phenom II, who knows maybe games will be able to use them by the time the quad core would become outdated, nobody knows right now.

The real problem tbh is that amd bulldozer (amd FX, the successor of phenom II)turned out to be complete dogshit.
    And also that Intel smelled money and kept their Sandy Bridge prices high, slacked off with ivy bridge performance and that they are complete bellends by charging more for motherboards and cpus that allow overclocking, and lock down their lower end cpus to widen the gap with their high end ones.... (+ the fact that you always pay a premium for intel motherboards for some bollox reason).

Imo you should decide for yourself how much you want to spend, we have laid out and spelled out the options.

No matter what you buy (am2+ and phenom II, i5 + ddr3+ p8 mobo, amd fx4xxx + bulldozer mobo + ram) , you missed out on 2-3 years of usage value by buying either this late in their lifecycle.

Would have been a no brainer (phenom II) if your mobo had been fine, now it just depends on what you want to spend, the return will be equal to that.
    Last edited by Finicky; 26-08-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Why are you so dead set on Core i5-2500k?

Also, Intel didn't "slack off" with Ivy Bridge, they realised the expected IPC improvement and reduced power draw. Ivy Bridge is a tick (die shrink), not a tock (new architecture). They do keep their prices high, but they've rarely been budget-friendly, and their products are worth every penny compared to AMDs products (like the FX series). The only real letdown is the i5-3570k, which seems to have a cheaper material under the heatspreader than the i5-2500k.

The "bollocks" reason you usually pay more for Intel motherboards is that they're usually better. Like better SATA controllers that outperform AMD's or third-party implementations (ASMedia, Marvell), or USB3.0 that's actually significantly faster than USB2.0.

PS: While you only advocate the Core i3-2100 half-heartedly, it's still poor advice when its successor is being launched literally next week.
    Last edited by Sakkura; 26-08-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    Why are you so dead set on Core i5-2500k?

Also, Intel didn't "slack off" with Ivy Bridge, they realised the expected IPC improvement and reduced power draw. Ivy Bridge is a tick (die shrink), not a tock (new architecture). They do keep their prices high, but they've rarely been budget-friendly, and their products are worth every penny compared to AMDs products (like the FX series). The only real letdown is the i5-3570k, which seems to have a cheaper material under the heatspreader than the i5-2500k.

The "bollocks" reason you usually pay more for Intel motherboards is that they're usually better. Like better SATA controllers that outperform AMD's or third-party implementations (ASMedia, Marvell), or USB3.0 that's actually significantly faster than USB2.0.

PS: While you only advocate the Core i3-2100 half-heartedly, it's still poor advice when its successor is being launched literally next week.
    Ivy costs a bit more, is negligably faster and supposed to run hotter? (heatspreader for stock cooler as you mentioned, apparently they didn't have an extra penny left to spend on better thermal paste for a 250 euro cpu)

And I told him not to get an i3. (for the same reason people shouldn't have gotten a c2duo)
    But no really, tell me what other intel cpu you'd suggest he get than the 2500K, go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Ivy costs a bit more, is negligably faster and supposed to run hotter? (heatspreader for stock cooler as you mentioned, apparently they didn't have an extra penny left to spend on better thermal paste for a 250 euro cpu)

And I told him not to get an i3. (for the same reason people shouldn't have gotten a c2duo)
    But no really, tell me what other intel cpu you'd suggest he get than the 2500K, go on.
    Ivy Bridge is faster by around 5-10%, which is all you could ever expect from a die shrink. They didn't - as you claimed - slack off because the competition stumbled. They kept to their schedule. The Ivy Bridge CPUs do not run hotter. The Core i5-3570k runs hotter when overclocked. And only because of that cheaper material; it can be replaced if you're the kind of person who isn't bothered by taking a hobby knife to extremely fragile electronic parts worth hundreds of dollars.
    Ivy Bridge does cost more than Sandy Bridge, but only a little more. And that lines up perfectly well with the small performance increase. Gee, it's almost like they planned this out.

Once Sandy Bridge gets retired, Ivy Bridge will hopefully gradually become cheaper. Though, with the lack of competition from AMD, that could go slower than usual or not happen at all. It's normal for new hardware to be introduced at a relatively high price point and then gradually become cheaper over its lifecycle, until it gets replaced by something better and more expensive.

There are other worthwhile Intel products than the i5-2500k. For example, there's a nice thing called the Core i5-3470. It's $199.99 at the egg, which is 20 dollars cheaper than the 2500k. There's also the Core i5-2310 at $179.99. Sure, they don't overclock much - 4 bins = 400 MHz. But then you probably won't need the overclock anyway, because they're fast enough for most things out there - especially the 3470. And not overclocking means you can use the stock heat sink and save another $30+.
    Last edited by Sakkura; 27-08-2012 at 01:15 AM.