Android, or Help Me Rom The Shit Out Of My New Phone.

Ive recently (like, a couple of hours ago) gotten a new Android phone, the LG Optimus 2X, the first dual-core phone*.

However, I was under the impression that it was going to come with 2.3, not 2.2.2, as it is now.

Any suggestions on what to look for in a good rom, as opposed to shoddy work? is there like an ideal age to a rom, or signs of no touchy? or good forums and things to look all of this up?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Cyanogenmod is probably the most popular ROM and is awesome.
    Latest version is based on 2.3 and it includes pretty much every feature that is possible on Android.
    Assuming you've already rooted, easiest way is probably to install ROM Manager and use that.

Hm. still have to do that, but thanks for the advice!
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Good luck. Rooting my Desire made it almost literally a completely different (and way better) device.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorum View Post
    Good luck. Rooting my Desire made it almost literally a completely different (and way better) device.
    The thing I love about `droids is that 'rooting' has a complete different meaning where I'm from (wink wink, nudge nudge, and all that).

Haven't got around to doing my Galaxy yet, mostly because I haven't found a reason I *need* to. Any chance you guys can throw out a few examples (aka: cool shit you can do, sweet apps or features) as to why people should be doing this ASAP?

other than the nerd-thrill and small things, the most obvious advantages for my Desire were:
    a) new ROM has much improved battery life
    b) can remove all the shitty bloatware apps that my network included and took up all my storage
    c) can move cache and apps over to SD card - which is big thing for desire as it has small internal storage

other than the nerd-thrill and small things, the most obvious advantages for my Desire were:
    a) new ROM has much improved battery life
    b) can remove all the shitty bloatware apps that my network included and took up all my storage
    c) can move cache and apps over to SD card - which is big thing for desire as it has small internal storage
    wasnt c) a feature of 2.3?
    - Tom De Roeck.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    wasnt c) a feature of 2.3?
    I think so yes (for apps, not sure about dalvik cache) . But my HTC Desire was on a 2.2 rom when I bought it.
    In fact I'm not sure if HTC still haven't rolled out 2.3 yet. And unrooted phones/stock roms won't let you mess about with dalvik cache at all I think.

I wont pretend to know what a dalvik cache is, but I find this open sourcy business, then limit the phone to a single update very stupid. I have a milestone (droid for you otherworldly peoples) which is still on 2.1.

2.1 for fucks sake! it doesnt even have apps2sd!
    - Tom De Roeck.

Obscure Node
    I have been thinking about rooting my Desire, but am not sure how long of a process it is. Do you have any tips for me? Also, has anyone used the Desire with Business Voip System, and if so, which SIP Provider is best for Desire compatibility? Thanks!
    Last edited by carrie99; 23-08-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by carrie99 View Post
    I have been thinking about rooting my Desire, but am not sure how long of a process it is. Do you have any tips for me? Thanks!
    There are a million guides online - some of the best ones for European (as opposed to US) devices are on the Wiki over at giffgaff (who support and encourage people to unlock/debrand their phones). There is - for example - a step-by-step for de-Oranging my Desire which I really must get around to doing as I've only had it 2.5 years.

Then I need to pencil in a time to mess with my new and utterly lovely S3 :)

Obscure Node
    @carrie99

I just installed ICS on mine, easy as hell and looks good too!
    http://nikez.nu/ Thats the rom link, xda-developer forums has a LOT of noob guides, dont worry, i read and reread about five or six before rooting because i was so scared of bricking mine.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=628

well my cell is acting so weird, I cant do any more damage, methinks.

Im looking into it again...
    - Tom De Roeck.