Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    Not sure I'd use the word pride, there are certainly things I like about my country but I can't take much credit for them.

Some things I like:
    Our "Freedom to roam" laws and customs. which go a long way to making sure our country is actually our country.
    The general geekiness of our culture.
    That we've stayed away from wars for 200 years.

I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise for IKEA.
    What? You aren't supposed to be proud of anything, you are neutral damnit!

Our "Freedom to roam" laws and customs. which go a long way to making sure our country is actually our country.
    That's a neat little bunch of laws right there. Awesome.
    Forum janitor in training.

Network Hub
    Pros:
    - Bringing forth The Nuclear Age(Take it or leave it, it's really all turned out for the best. At least so far.)
    - The original NASA, and not the bureaucratic cock-up that it is now.
    - Franklin and Teddy Roosevelt.
    - William Tecumseh Sherman.

Cons:
    - New Jersey.
    - And a whole lot more crap that really makes me hate this country and wish I had the money, skills, and ability to understand a foreign language so I could get far away from here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unruly View Post
    Pros:
    - Bringing forth The Nuclear Age(Take it or leave it, it's really all turned out for the best. At least so far.)
    - The original NASA, and not the bureaucratic cock-up that it is now.
    - Franklin and Teddy Roosevelt.
    - William Tecumseh Sherman.

Cons:
    - New Jersey.
    - And a whole lot more crap that really makes me hate this country and wish I had the money, skills, and ability to understand a foreign language so I could get far away from here.

What? Why is NJ a con? Where else are we going to dump our garbage?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    What? Why is NJ a con? Where else are we going to dump our garbage?
    other countries?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    other countries?
    NYC exports its trash all the way to Colombia and Colorado. I feel sorry for the Colombians.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Makes you proud to be British!

I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaminBob View Post
    You also have awesome bendy trains from what I'm told.
    Our trains suck and they drive horribly slow because of our lousy railroads.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar

Thanks, truly a terrible place.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptoshrimp View Post
    I'm pretty proud my country's still here, being boxed in against France and Germany. Also, we're pretty good at trolling mother nature. And raw herring, of course.
    The fact that the Netherlands have been (involuntarily) part of both France and Germany makes it all the more, how shall I say, odd. The option to join England was discussed on multiple occasions as well, but rejected every time.

I'm not sure there's really something I'm particularly proud of. If there's anything I'd have to choose I'll join Cryptoshrimp in praising the efforts of men and women past and present to keep the western and northern half of the Low Countries dry - with the creation of Flevoland being the crowning achievement. That is at least something particular to these regions.

"He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    And yet some people over here (mostly bogans) think it's up-market, trendy stuff. Then again at the ridiculously inflated prices they charge here, it might as well be because nobody can afford it.

I'm proud of... um... actually nationalism isn't really Australian. Maybe... kangaroos? No, wait, they're pests. Um... being a Western nation in the Eastern hemisphere? Being a really big island? Vegemite? Huh, maybe nothing.

Unless you're a bogan. Then you're proud of the southern cross, because according to them, we own that. Also wars, because WARS ARE AWESOME BRAH.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    We owned half the world, bitch. Now we're like fantasy dwarves, grumbling over the lost glories of our fallen empire.

But we still have fish & chips.
    We owned and roflstomped your fleets whilst having a much smaller starting area with significantly fewer resources :P.

I would put up "Being more tolerant of different opinions, countries of origin, sexual orientations, religion, etc. etc. etc then every other damn country in the world", but this has changed over the last 10 years.

Oh, and the water. Very very much all the stuff we do with land and water. And dikes. It has been one of the reasons I am studying that at university.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 26-08-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    And yet some people over here (mostly bogans) think it's up-market, trendy stuff. Then again at the ridiculously inflated prices they charge here, it might as well be because nobody can afford it.
    They're actually one of the cheaper ways to get acceptable furniture around here. Without IKEA, my first flat would have looked very empty. Of course I'm under no illusion of being somehow 'trendy', so that helps.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    They're actually one of the cheaper ways to get acceptable furniture around here. Without IKEA, my first flat would have looked very empty. Of course I'm under no illusion of being somehow 'trendy', so that helps.
    It's just as well; that shit is practically disposable. It certainly won't survive your first move.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    It's just as well; that shit is practically disposable. It certainly won't survive your first move.
    It already has. Somehow it sounds like the overseas IKEA is very different from the Euorpean (or at least German) IKEA.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    It already has. Somehow it sounds like the overseas IKEA is very different from the Euorpean (or at least German) IKEA.
    American IKEAs are full of cheap plastic and compressed particle board furniture. It's not the kind of stuff that's known for its durability. And it's overpriced for what it is. But people buy it because supposedly the fact that it's "imported" and from IKEA makes it super-awesome and trendy to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    We owned and roflstomped your fleets whilst having a much smaller starting area with significantly fewer resources :P.

I would put up "Being more tolerant of different opinions, countries of origin, sexual orientations, religion, etc. etc. etc then every other damn country in the world", but this has changed over the last 10 years.

Oh, and the water. Very very much all the stuff we do with land and water. And dikes. It has been one of the reasons I am studying that at university.
    Never 4get.

OT, I don't think that having a little pride in your country is unhealthy, but going to the extent of nationalism is.
    RPS Arma 2 community server!
    Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph-Sulphur View Post
    OT, I don't think that having a little pride in your country is unhealthy, but going to the extent of nationalism is.
    The problem is the term "nationalism" has been hijacked in recent times to mean "anybody who doesn't go on a self-hatred trip about how Western civilisation is the downfall of man", much like "fascism" has changed from "a rather unappealing system of government" to "those damn police booked me for speeding in a school zone and enforced other laws and shit".

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    The problem is the term "nationalism" has been hijacked in recent times to mean "anybody who doesn't go on a self-hatred trip about how Western civilisation is the downfall of man", much like "fascism" has changed from "a rather unappealing system of government" to "those damn police booked me for speeding in a school zone and enforced other laws and shit".
    Oh? My experience (here in Finland) has been that the term "nationalism" has been hijacked in recent times to mean "all the lower races are coming to take away our jobs, and I hate gays and feminism too".

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Oh? My experience (here in Finland) has been that the term "nationalism" has been hijacked in recent times to mean "all the lower races are coming to take away our jobs, and I hate gays and feminism too".
    That too I guess, though we just label it 'intolerance'. Generally whenever someone calls someone a nationalist over here, it's because they go to an ANZAC Day parade or have a BBQ on Australia Day without apologising to the indigenous population over atrocities committed by colonists who they might not even have any relation to in the past, and lamenting that we're a Western nation sitting where we are. Never say anything good - not even about the extensive public healthcare system. If anybody asks, it's too shallow/doesn't go far enough/some people went in and died oh how horrible.