Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

Rock, Dota, Noob

CuriousOrange and I have decided to create a DOTA2 noob group on steam with an emphasis on total beginners playing together and figuring stuff out without taking things very seriousley. We realise there is a proper DOTA 2 RPS thing but after having played with these guys it was all fairly advanced stuff with certain players being wayyyyy too good and thus not making for an enjoyable game, so this group is aimed at having fun!

Steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rockdotanoob
    In game chat: Rock, Dota, Noob

So if youre a noob and you wanna play come join us!

A very good guide on how to play:

http://www.dotafire.com/dota-2/guide...uide-to-dota-8
    Last edited by Bilbo1981; 22-10-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Network Hub
    BTW, this is one of the best DOTA2 learning resources I have found on the web: http://goo.gl/xUzQe

I'm at my c. 10th game now (coop vs bots only) and although I invariably always end up as the worst player, I actually feel like there's progress! Yay!
    Easy (nCore) likes Braaaains
    Find me on Steam

Network Hub
    We had a couple of fun games yesterday with Bilbo, adamzap and Simmura McCrea. Against real people! It went very well, and we all enjoyed getting owned (we put up a good fight though). Let's get more people in so we can play together and chat on mumble. This is a great place to experiment and learn in a friendly environment.

Wind ruuuuuner FTW!
    Find me on Steam

You know it's funny because I was just about to create a group called exactly this! I'm in a similar position, played about 30-40 games now but shoddy enough to still be threatened violently on chat, I'd be both up for helping out totally new people me and playing team games together. I'm sure it'd be fine for us all to use the RPS mumble server, I think it's this one: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...nd-other-games

There are 4 or 5 of us on there at a similar skill level who had a load of games last night. I'd be up for more tonight.

Network Hub
    So 6 of us in the group now, would be great to team up for a vs. game. Really. Any chance we're all available today (Tues) at 19h GMT?

edit: argh, can't make 19h after all. Scrap that.
    Last edited by Easy; 28-08-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    Find me on Steam

This is a great place to experiment and learn in a friendly environment.

This is a great place to experiment and learn in a friendly environment.

Network Hub
    Welcome to all the new guys, we are now 10 strong! Feel the power grow!!

Anyway I was thinking we can have games most evenings where we form 5 men groups or whatever and take on random people. When we got more we can maybe play against ourselves. Of course we are all going to be different skill levels but we can mix and match.

So lets basically say 8pm most evenings try and form up with other members of the group, this isn't set in stone so lets see how it goes.

Network Hub
    Question, friends: despite disabling the windows key in the in-game menu, it still triggers with, needless to say, horrible consequences. Do you have similar issues? Any idea how to fix it? The widows key is way to close to the alt key for pinging...
    Find me on Steam

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216893

That's the thingy I used, because no-one actually uses the windows key to open the start menu.
    Steampowered. Origin: Simmura

Network Hub
    Done, thanks. Amazing that there isn't a setting for this in Win7...
    Find me on Steam

Network Hub
    I'll totally join you guys when I have the opportunity to redownload it. See you in a (hopefully short) while.

There's a little over ten of us playing regular games pretty much every day now, it's great fun I'd really recommend people joining in.

There's usually a DOTA group on the mumble server, if there isn't then just look for me and in all likelihood I am playing DOTA but am just sat in the wrong room. Or add me on steam by finding me on the Rock, Dota, Noob page and I can bring you in whenever people are playing a game.
    Last edited by hexagonalbolts; 02-09-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Network Hub
    Hey folks, I'll be away from tuesday for 10 days. I shall miss the great company. Yesterday was.... legendary ^^
    Find me on Steam

Network Hub
    Hi everyone, I'm putting together (another) little 5v5 DOTA session comprising solely of in experienced RPSers - and a special guest. We're starting this Sunday at 3PM. I think we'll do it so people with mumble (though not necessarily a mic) get priority, on a first come first serve basis.

Mumble's easy to set up and can be downloaded for free here - http://mumble.sourceforge.net/
    The server IP will be - server.herosquad.org
    Default port

Go ahead and add me on steam if you're interested - 'Mattman1238'. Hope to see you there :)
    Last edited by Coccyx; 07-09-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Network Hub
    Incase anyones interested I'm gonna be organising regular games about 8pm most nights where possible. These nights will specifically be based around learning the ropes and more experienced players helping newer guys out, also with an emphasis on trying out new characters and not giving a damn about winning or losing :)

Hi all, I just joined your group! I tried playing on my own and put a good few hours in against the AI without getting anywhere, so hopefully I can learn something you guys. I thought it'd be easy for me since I progressed fairly quickly at SC2. How wrong I was! D:

I look forward to getting some games in and making an arse of myself :D

I'm just curious about something. Why does it seem like everyone expects people who play LoL or Dota2 or any game like that to have candidate grandmaster skill levels before they've even played their first game?

Not trying to stir up anything, just that these games frustrate the hell out of me when I've got people constantly blaming me for every loss.

Network Hub
    Welcome Al Jolson, hope to have a game with you soon mate.

Dead, Your guess is as good as mine. The majority of DOTA players are pretty much dicks so I would ignore most of what they say. Kind of my reason for forming this group is to make it easy to play with like minded friendly players. Even if youre a good player you will be blamed for a loss for example when I play omniknight I get yelled at for not healing a player at a certain time when its basically impossible as I am unable to heal them due to the spell recharging or I have no mana, people are just ignorant sadly.

I'm trying to organise games but its not working right now, I think the best bet is to message other guys in the group and ask for a game and go from there. Don't wait for events as I feel these don't work.

I love the concept of MOBA games, I just hate the blame game and the trash talk.