Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    What's the roll for training manuals, both praetor and legion?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    What's the roll for training manuals, both praetor and legion?
    Here is a handy list
    http://si.battlespot.com/wiki/Manuscripts
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I think he's asking about how much points does one of those manuscripts raises.

Ohh, the "roll"... No idea, I've gotten 2 shields and 3hp before.

And I think that I got 5 points of loyalty with a legion one.
    It must be a D6 I guess.

I was playing a singleplayer game to see how much impact did "collector of curiosities" had.

It's a bit crap, isn't it? At least without "Infernal cardinal" and diabolism relics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I was playing a singleplayer game to see how much impact did "collector of curiosities" had.

It's a bit crap, isn't it? At least without "Infernal cardinal" and diabolism relics.
    If you have charisma 5 and +trib roll items it becomes a pest, whole trib draws bloated with cards, I need souls damn it!!!!

I was experimenting with it in sp
    Infernal cardinal + beelit + 4 char indeed brought a nice quantity of manuscripts, but too much work for 7 points of character creator.

Network Hub
    In my experience having a ridiculously high tribute roll modifier is not always something you want. Once you start to go over +-10, there are side effects that may ironically make it harder to get the tribute you want.

My plan to get superiority through manuscripts has fallen before it even begun.

Manuscripts are great, just don't be afraid to buy them.

Network Hub
    Collector of Curiosities works better when combined with the Talisman of Greed. Ensuring you always have the souls and darkness to buy the Talisman when it comes up is the hard part. It is a strategy that is particularly powerful in long games, due to the ability to max out every stat via manuscripts. Not to mention knock down all the stats of the opposition. The real advantage is that you can work on this strategy all game without making it too obvious. Most other strategies can't provide such a dramatic reversal of fortunes without some degree of foreshadowing.

Devoted Minions is another good perk choice for Collector of Curiosities builds. Normally Devoted Minions isn't that great, but in this case it is another chance of getting a manuscript on the roll. It also increases the chance of getting the type of resource that you need in cases where the manuscript engine is working too well.

The natural enemy of this strategy is the deception focused build. As they can steal the manuscripts via tribute stealing. This generally makes it hard to build up the multi-part manuscripts. Meanwhile the thief might get lucky and pick up all the manuscript parts.
    Last edited by Rotekian; 26-02-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Clarity

I have a simple question.
    What happens to the beast after the "The Beast is loose" event if it's in the game board? Does it go back to the bazaar or just disappears from the game?

Also, if its level/stats are better than the base ones... does the price change if it goes back to the bazaar?.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Programmer Spike View Post
    Also, if its level/stats are better than the base ones... does the price change if it goes back to the bazaar?.
    Probably not. Here's a fun anecdote of a bug I found a while back.

I'd bought the Devourer Statuettes and summoned the Devourer, then used the Black Ring on it. The result was that it lost its upkeep but also that it could not be unsummoned again, or go back into the relic if you will. Kind of a bummer for a 1-move legion to lose the ability to be summoned unto any hex you own.

So I decided to try and 'dismiss' the Devourer. This made it go 'back' (although it didn't come from there) into the Bazaar, where it became available again for a grand cost of...0-0-0-0 and no upkeep. Haha!

As for your question Tikey, I'm not sure, but I don't think it goes back into the Bazaar. May try to simulate it in a singleplayer game though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I think the bazaar cost of legions like the Beast does go up, either tied to the number of times it's been bought or the number of tokens drawn. Not stats though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinox View Post
    I'd bought the Devourer Statuettes and summoned the Devourer, then used the Black Ring on it. The result was that it lost its upkeep but also that it could not be unsummoned again, or go back into the relic if you will. Kind of a bummer for a 1-move legion to lose the ability to be summoned unto any hex you own.
    Did it keep the Demon envy ability?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Did it keep the Demon envy ability?
    It's been a while since I tried it but I'm almost certain it did. Quite the game changer.

This was back on 1.08b, though, and I did alert Vic of it and he told me he was considering making the Devourer exempt from promotion to prevent all these messy problems. It didn't say that it was fixed in the changelog for 1.08c, but I suppose it could have been fixed anyway.

Activated Node
    RE: Devourer with black ring

I did this with the devourer in a mp prestige only rules game about a month ago. It removes upkeep, it keeps the demon envy prestige drain (which in prestige only/no excom rules game was awesome). It definitely still works in current version of SI.
    It only has 1 movement BUT if you have puzzle cube no problem. Also since it has 4 attachment slots (level 7) if you have vasdrani carpet or wyrmm mounts you probably have the best legion in the game.
    Stick vasrdrani carpet + a level roll praetor + couple of other things on a black ring devourer and you have a juggernaut.
    Beware though the 2 huge weaknesses of this juggernaut are fissure/targeted carpricious wrath.
    I've had my devourer capricious wrathed a few times now........

IRe: Praetor/Legion training manuals

Here are the stats

Legion Manuals

Ranged/Melee/Infernal +3-8 to relevant stat
    Loyalty +1-3 loyalty

Praetor Manuals

Manual of Attack +2-10 Skulls
    Manual of Infernal Power +2-10 Orbs
    Manual of Defense +1-6 Shields +1-4 Hit Points

All the manuals are pretty awesome if you get lucky rolls when you use them.

Network Hub
    Thanks for the great info Flatline! I think you should consider submitting this to the wiki (definitely the manual info). Altho I'm not sure if anyone is even managing it anymore, doesn't look like it's been updated anymore recently.

I've always had legions (not just mine, others in games I was in too) get really lucky with their training (+7-8) and praetors get really unlucky with theirs (+2-4). Funny how that goes.