Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

KIA Soldier Gets ArmA Dedication

Thought it was rather spot on and well handled.

Network Hub
    Who will make an ArmA video for the hundreds of thousands of murdered, maimed and displaced Iraqis and Afgans?

That was a good first post. Go make some ArmA videos playing as the "independent" force.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caljohnston View Post
    Who will make an ArmA video for the hundreds of thousands of murdered, maimed and displaced Iraqis and Afgans?
    While most estimates put the deaths of Iraqi civilians at between 100,000 and 150,000, if you talk about displacement, we have about 5 million Iraqi refugees.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar

Anyway, there's a dedicated ARMA Subforum for this sort of stuff.

The Afghan and Iraqi ARMA gaming groups and clans, duh.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    The Afghan and Iraqi ARMA gaming groups and clans, duh.
    ARMA 2 Free is (obviously) free even, so there's no barriers to them picking it up and giving it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    if you talk about displacement, we have about 5 million Iraqi refugees.
    Wow! With that many, they'd be able to have some pretty ARMA2 good sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caljohnston View Post
    You? I can't imagine there's anything to stop you.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    ARMA 2 Free is (obviously) free even, so there's no barriers to them picking it up and giving it a shot.
    With 0.4 personal computers per 100 people in Afghanistan as of 2009, there might be some barriers. Aside from that I'm not sure even the pay version of ARMA 2 can compete with the thrills of the impending civil war.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    You? I can't imagine there's anything to stop you.
    But that requires effort. Making drive-by posts is much easier.

Trust me, I know

For some reason that video made me feel uncomfortable with a bad taste in my mouth.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeTheMonkey View Post
    For some reason that video made me feel uncomfortable with a bad taste in my mouth.
    You aren't alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    But that requires effort. Making drive-by posts is much easier.

Trust me, I know
    Tell me how I'm supposed to feel when I'm told to lionize soldiers who volunteered for a war I didn't want fought to kill people who didn't attack me, when they died doing so.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Tell me how I'm supposed to feel when I'm told to lionize soldiers who volunteered for a war I didn't want fought to kill people who didn't attack me, when they died doing so.
    Where did that come from? You don't have to feel anything Nalano... It's ok. No one here wants to tell you what to feel, or how to think... we're not the Feely Thinky Police.

The quote you've got quoted is about making tribute videos to "the hundreds of thousands of murdered, maimed and displaced Iraqis and Afgans"... All Soldant and Mohorovic are saying is that, if people want to make video tributes to them, there's nothing stopping them.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.

Where did that come from? You don't have to feel anything Nalano... It's ok. No one here wants to tell you what to feel, or how to think... we're not the Feely Thinky Police.

The quote you've got quoted is about making tribute videos to "the hundreds of thousands of murdered, maimed and displaced Iraqis and Afgans"... All Soldant and Mohorovic are saying is that, if people want to make video tributes to them, there's nothing stopping them.
    What they were saying is "why should I care about the aggressor" in a sarcastic tone and what you're saying is "stop criticizing the OP" in a dismissive manner.

Surely I don't have to explain this to you.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

What they were saying is "why should I care about the aggressor" in a sarcastic tone and what you're saying is "stop criticizing the OP" in a dismissive manner.
    If you think that's what I'm saying, it isn't, I can assure you. My point is more that, just because there isn't a video tribute to 'the other side', shouldn't be a reason to criticise the OP. I'm not going to continue with this though, because it's yet another thread, getting derailed into petty squabbling...

I think the video is in very poor taste. I'm sure that the intentions behind it where good and and all, but I don't think it's very tactful to dedicate a video containing people shooting polygons in their preferred power fantasy simulator when the person it's dedicated to got killed in an actual real life combat operation.

It just seems very wrong somehow.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I find it no more uncomfortable than certain gaming franchises deciding to base their game on a war that was at the time, still being waged. Maybe there should be some kind of universal "dude, too soon" law.

If you think that's what I'm saying, it isn't, I can assure you. My point is more that, just because there isn't a video tribute to 'the other side', shouldn't be a reason to criticise the OP. I'm not going to continue with this though, because it's yet another thread, getting derailed into petty squabbling...
    Okay. Seriously. The request for one "on the other side" was a facetious and satirical request. It was meant to highlight that the OP's video was in poor taste, because the medium itself works counter to any proper reflection on the subject. The game, by its very existence, glorifies the war. It would be the world's worst manner in which to give a tribute to civilian lives lost, and that was the point.

I swear to god, I hate that I have to keep breaking it down. That I keep thinking this stuff is so patently obvious that it needs not be explained in such detail; that I keep wishing I don't have to go down three tiers to explain the blindingly obvious.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Going to try to avoid this thread since this covers a topic I feel very strongly on and I don't feel like flaming the hell out of jackasses who don't know how to argue a point without attacking the brave men and women of the military who are simply following orders and directives laid down by politicians.

But I will say this: Maybe to you it is in bad taste. I know it made me feel a bit queasy. But you aren't Michael Metcalf. You aren't Michael Metcalf's friends. You don't know what he would have wanted. Odds are the people who made that video ARE Michael Metcalf's friends, and odds are he would have found this pretty awesome. Remember, everybody mourns differently. The important thing is to be respectful. There is a time and a place for politics, and there is a time and a place for shutting your god damned trap if you don't have anything nice to say. Believe it or not, the world won't explode if you don't make it a point to express your political beliefs every chance you get.

So kudos to Metcalf's friends for making a pretty good tribute video.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Then rest assured, Gundato, that whoever this guy is, his family and friends will likely never read this. And for all your blustering about who it was meant for, it was posted here​ and thus subject to the opinions of people who don't know him from a hole in the wall.

As for brave men and women who "don't get a choice in the matter," this is a volunteer army.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl