Hybrid View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar

So what are the amazing Starcraft 2 'mods' ?

I have fond memories of Warcraft 3 custom maps. Some of them were very fun minigames, and multiple standalone games were based on them. For example DOTA, and Tower Defense. I don't know if tower defense was invented by the custom maps, but Warcraft 3 greatly popularized them, without doubt.

So Blizzard made a big fuss about their editor being very good. I don't own Starcraft 2 and won't purchase it. Can you point me to any outstanding Starcraft 2 custom maps ? I mean anything at least as good as DOTA or Tower Defense, that will probably spawn another row of standalone games. If you point me to some I'll watch youtube videos.
    pass

Network Hub
    Well, SC2 has the requisite Tower Defense and DOTA-clones(though I wonder if it's really a "DOTA clone" int hat sense, since SC had a DOTA-type game first). It also has stuff like Nexus Wars, where you build buildings that produce units constantly at a fixed rate, which then run across the map to fight the other guy's units. You earn money for kills, and use that money to build better units, until at some point one side or the other gets the right combination of units to charge all the way across the map and start killing the other guy's buildings(which usually spells doom for that guy).

I remember there also being a kart racing type map being bandied about by Blizzard when they were talking about how powerful the editor was. I don't know if it was just a demo that they made or if it actually got released.

One guy was also working on an "MMO" map for SC2, with persistent characters between games, using a third-peron over-the-shoulder perspective, WASD movement, and 1-2-3-4 as skill hotkeys, but I don't know how far along he got in making that. I know Blizzard got a bit pissy with him when he named it "World of StarCraft" , but they didn't shut him down or anything. He just had to change the name, so it became "StarCraft Universe" instead.

Other than that, I've not really seen a whole lot of variety in the SC2 maps. But I'd say that's probably due to the way that, up until recently, the only way to play a custom map was to know its name so you could search for it, or to hope that it was one of the "popular" maps, which are consistently dominated by maps such as Storm of the Imperial Sanctum(DOTA clone), the 400 different Tower Defense variations, and games like Nexus Wars/Bunker Wars. Maybe the Starcraft Arcade will make that change, but I won't hold my breath.

I'd really like to see maps like the old V-Tech Paintball and Jungle Paintball(two vastly different takes on paintball) come back.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Nexus Wars may be a new name, but I played many maps like that in Warcraft 3.

So far it looks like for all the praise they gave to their map editor, they can't back it up with facts.
    pass

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    Nexus Wars may be a new name, but I played many maps like that in Warcraft 3.

So far it looks like for all the praise they gave to their map editor, they can't back it up with facts.
    What's with the passive-aggressive attitude? The Starcraft 2 map editor is undeniably the most powerful editor of any Blizzard game yet, just because it hasn't spawned a whole new genre of games yet doesn't make Blizzard dirty liars.

Activated Node
    There's StarJeweled, a map where you gather energy by playing Bejeweled, using the energy to make units which then battle it out with the other team's in a tug-of-war style arena. There's a hide and seek map, which plays a bit like a TPS where your avatar is one of the random props, and you need to stay undetected. There's a few other more traditional TPS-style maps too. There's some original takes on existing map types as well, like MineralZ Evolution, which is like a tower defense map with a very heavy emphasis on cooperation and building an economy.

Playing some of those maps it's hard to deny that the editor seems really powerful, though ultimately it's obviously still the map editor of an RTS game. I guess you could do a karting game or an FPS if you really wanted, but I suppose a more general-purpose engine like the Unreal Engine or Unity would be more suitable for that. Hence most of the maps staying close to the RTS characteristics.
    Last edited by Stijn; 26-08-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Mafia. I've played tons of custom maps, but mafia is definitely up there as one of the best. Might take a while to learn, and often the town players are idiots, but most of the time it's great.

One I used to play frequently was something called 'Star Wars' or something. I don't think I fully understood it but it had nothing to do with the film. You controlled one of the big Starcraft ships (Battlecruiser, Queen, Carrier etc) and had to shoot down the enemy ships DOTA style.

Starjeweled is also a good time waster when you have a few minutes to kill.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    One I used to play frequently was something called 'Star Wars' or something. I don't think I fully understood it but it had nothing to do with the film. You controlled one of the big Starcraft ships (Battlecruiser, Queen, Carrier etc) and had to shoot down the enemy ships DOTA style.

Starjeweled is also a good time waster when you have a few minutes to kill.
    Star Battle. It's like a proto-Stellar Impact. (Stellar Impact came later.)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Although I have put many hours into SC2 and loved the custom games of the original, I have barely played any. Of those that I have played, I've only really put much time into Marine Arena and Nexus Wars. The later is probably the better of the two, as Marine Arena usually ends up with one team getting fed lots of kills and becoming more and more powerful. Nexus wars does have some nice strategy ideas and you really have to think about when to get the upgrades.

Also watched a couple of videos of Total Biscuit playing some custom games. Star Striker is a kind of 5v5 football game that looked okay. Select your unit type, each coming with various different abilities and try to score in the opposing teams net. Probably does not have the longevity of many other custom games, but still looked like it could be a lot of fun. There was also a mod based on The Hunger Games that seemed to have some really nice ideas. Everyone plays as a Zealot and can grab different abilities and items from crates. Once you are knocked out of the game, you start controlling elements of the game, such as spawning creatures to attack the remaining plays or turning water into lava. Looked like it would be great fun and had some really tense moments.

Obscure Node
    Star Battles one of my favourites so far

Obscure Node
    just because it hasn't spawned a whole new genre of games yet doesn't make Blizzard dirty liars.