[VS/NC] The Joy of Lone Wolves

I love team play in this game, I love the sight of tank columns rolling down the plains with the [RPS] tag and I smile when I see the [RTRS] Reaver bombing the crap out of them. I enjoy the banter on Mumble, the terse orders the long winded discussions of a plan, the strange and entertaining madness that lingers in most of us.

But who has experienced the other side of this?

I just spent two hours defending Ravens Landing with an ever changing group of around 8 of Vanu's warriors, Me, one EMLD guy and the rest untagged low BR guys who we call Pubs or Randoms. There was no 'tactical play', no orders, not even squads, just the joy of seeing the same names popping up, watching the NC lvl 1 become a lvl 2 as he got his first few kills, then shooting him in the face while he was dancing around cloaked and /tell ing him that's not how it works. The wonder of spontaneous Max and Engie teams forming and then breaking apart at the next respawn, the fun of placing the sundie and getting thanks as people find a new angle, the joy of watching three pubs conduct a good bit of covering fire for each other as they work up a bridge, the joy of the sunrise after the defence when the last NC sundie is blown and the hard fought fight is over, we shall never meet again - but for those two hours they were my comrades!

*Happy*

More seriously - does anyone regularly lone play, I find myself taking far more risks and multi-classing far more when I'm not in a Platoon, does Platoon play stifle creative play? Do we depend on our leaders too much to send us up the cliff when if we were alone we'd just do it?

The rare times when i lone wolf, i just hate it. It's so random, it's hard to find good fights, you've got no support, etc. Imho, the game is not meant to support that. However, I admit that I've always been a cooperative player, so I enjoy playing as a team and communicating a lot more than just farming on my own.

Can't tell you if platoon style limits you, but I've never been limited in my classes by platoon play. I almost only play in the RPS platoon, and my most used class accounts for only 24% of my playtime, while my least played accounts for 8%

I also play alone quite often.

Most of the times I fly my scythe and try to farm infantry like daddy, only to get shot down by tanks. But getting into 1vs1 dogfights where theres no infantry gets my hear racing like nothing else in any game if played. Its amazing.

On the infantry side of things theres two things that can happen:
    I try to fight in a biolab ( where non-primetime most of the fighting happens and I sometimes play really early or really late) only to get shot over and over again and bit by bit my frustration keeps raising till I ragequit. Getting really frustrated is something that happens quite often..

Miller is indeed the server with the highest average skill level (Link) and maybe I should stop fighting against the TR farming outfits during an alert alone.. There is always atleast a squad of RO farming somewhere.

Or I find a really fun fight small scale fight, get really amazing killstreaks and feel like a boss defending a base on my own.
    Joining a well-led public platoon is something that can be fun, too but most of the time they are just zerging somewhere with no resistance.

The most fun I have really is when fighting with RPS, it stiil can be frustrating as hell but you atleast you have people you can complain too and you don't die alone.
    Last edited by Avaa; 08-12-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I lone-wolf quite a bit these days, the trick is in predicting enemy and friendly movements and being there for the fight just in time. This can be a lonesome infiltrator disabling defenses at a power plant(and thus signalling the coming of a bigger force) or just a 12+ band of people attempting a attack. I quite like it but you really need to have your eyes glued to the map to find a fight.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

I generally find myself lone wolfing on those rare occasions I'm able to log on during the day.. I generally just end up getting farmed by tr mossies

It seems to me at least, that moments like the one Grible just described are becoming rarer and rarer. The main culprit for this is the Lattice system. Pre-Lattice the Zergs would meander and traipse across the continent unpredictably and indiscriminately, like a flock of starlings. There were no adjacency shackles which allowed the Zerg, public platoons, outfit platoons etc. to go wherever they wanted to. This freedom allowed smaller scale fights (such as the one Grible shared) to occur naturally and flourish, without being extinguished by overwhelming numbers.

Post-Lattice however, there is only an endless and repetitive humdrum of head on freight train collisions. Along the same link, culminating either a 4 hour stalemate or the same old tactics being used to achieve victory... Now, i'm not anti Zerg by any means, but the amount of influence that a Zerg can wield is both incredibly amazing and annoying. Even more so when you consider that, more often than not, it is leaderless and undirected - which again, is down to the two dimensional lattice system. Some may say that this is simply how the game has evolved as it's an MMO, which is fair enough i guess. There is a good balance of outfit ops to public activity on Miller, but unfortunately for the VS, the under-pop that we suffer only ever exacerbates the issues caused by the Lattice.

Steering back to topic

The only time i play this game on my own (i.e not on comms) is when i'm sat in the middle of the friendly Zerg as a support class or in a ground vehicle or sat in a Scythe or Wraith Flash... Cultivating exp... Other exceptions are people i've befriended from the TVA Team speak inviting me to their ops, or applying modest amounts of freedom to myself with the Traitors.

Any other time i've lonewolfed* i've been immediately out rambo'd by blatant xMLGpro360NoScOpEx lone wolves, or farmed by someone from *insert infamous outfit tag here*
    Last edited by NickWhite; 08-12-2013 at 03:45 PM.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    I don't tend to completely lone wolf but I do go with open squads sometimes. It can be nice just to go around with random people every now and then.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Let me add to the above that lone-wolfing on Indar is nigh on impossible, Esamir and Amerish are much better continents for that.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Network Hub
    I get the impression that you're more describing aspects of small-scale fights in general, rather than just lone-wolfing. A lot of that does happen in small fights, they're just very rare during primetime thanks to Lattice.

I suppose the specific aspect of seeing *just* groups of pubbies working together is unique to that type of fight, but you can see that happen in 12-24 size fights, if you cast an eye over non-Outfit players. Just because you're in an Outfit squad doesn't stop friendlies from helping other friendlies (although your Outfit members take precedence in case of repairs/healing, I feel).

Apart from anything else, I get that feeling of camaraderie ten times over just by working with my Platoon. Special moments of teaming up do happen. They're maybe a tad rare, but in times of crisis, I've seen awesome feats of spontaneous teamwork (in addition to regular teamwork).

As for Platoons stifling tactical creativity - I've never got that impression. Unless directly ordered to do/not do something, I've both witnessed independent thinking from others, and pursued my own independent goal. I love those moments. They really do help make the game special for me.

I was wondering around mekala earlier. There were a handful of each faction and I was wandering around as a max with a couple of others. nothing was said we just stuck together. It was bliss.

Until a tech plant alert happened and a full platoon was dropped on our 6 guys. Thanks Blizz.... uhh... SOE.... uhhh... higby pls?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I lone wolf occasionally, if no one's on when I want to play. I usually go for the fights where my tastes differ from the rest of the outfit, the ones where numbers suggest impossibility. Hell, usually the numbers are right, but to me the odd occasion where the much smaller zerg somehow manages to exploit a weakness in a much larger zerg - usually one person (me, I look for this specifically ) taking down a vital sunderer or killing enough medics to let the smaller force push in and turn the tide. Worth a month of deaths for that one minute of gratification. Don't need to be literally playing with people, to be playing with people.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    If I decide to lone wolf, itl usually be to go on a proper sniper style hunting expedition :P.

I actually find that the lattice makes it easier to find big fights regardless of number of players. Hotspots tell you where people are, you just have to roll up and hope that there is enough of a supporting force to not be overwhelmed.

Even if the odds are overwhelming though, the nature of lone wolf style of play means that youre not likely to make a difference, so you end up playing more for the joy of simply playing..

You tend to take more pride in the kills, because they become more of a challenge. If you are on your own and take on a small squad of 5 or so people, triumphs can be hilarious and glorious.

Sniping is generally what I find best for the odd occassion where I lone wolf, as the distance means you can take your time in setting up, and then pick targets that are less likely to give you away. Much more difficult to hide from 10 people looking at you when youre shooting as opposed to 1 guy who you target.

Im always saying how little value I put on winning in these games. Sure, its nice to win, and its certainly what you should aim for when playing in a team, but there is just as much, if not more, fun for me in going up against adversity and even losing, given you have had the struggle of a good fight doing so.

Even when playing as a team with you guys, I find that the sessions I enjoy most are the ones where we lose a lot and get pushed back, because the hilarity of going up against a bigger force, and trying to do daring things/run in all guns-a-blazing is so much fun.

Granted not everybody enjoys that, but thats down to them. Enjoyment comes from whatever you want to accomplish... As I dont care whether I win or lose in this kind of game, given it makes very little difference to anything in the grand scheme, I tend to just play for laughs rather than for wins or score.

The best moments for me in this game have been things like vehicle runs with other people where its just me, them and the world. Lib runs, tank runs, and often sundy runs.

One of my fondest moments in the game was when I was driving a sundy full of people in the early days of the outfit, (from the pit I think, to another outpost down a large hill in a river bed on esamir, and all of a sudden a tank appeared on the hill we were driving from.

I was driving backwards for some reason and because I was running from them and didnt have time to turn, and zigzagging my way to the next base, narrowly avoiding each tank shell hurled our way. Made it to the base and around a corner to safety, and the tank couldnt win! It was odds against us, and hilarious. The manner in which I escaped with a bus load of people from death made me chuckle, and the voice comms of every nervous passenger made it so much better.

In summary, its the random adversity, and not the win, that makes the game fun for me.. Because otherwise, what you are left with is a big battleground with many similar assets and very little to do. The people make the game, not the game itself.

Activated Node
    I lone wolf'd a fair bit this weekend due to playing during the day when there's nobody really around. Surprised myself and ended up having a fair bit of fun as an infiltrator, flanking them with a silenced sniper rifle, picking off medics and such.

Then I wound up jumping in someone from EMLD's Mag during a push from Indar excavation site to Quartz ridge and spent the next hour switching from his mag to mine when one got destroyed. Sniping infantry and Max's with the Saron is fun. It was a great hour and we used tell's and the in vehicle voice pretty well.

I will say that the DIG open platoon's are generally pretty good fun too. Specially if they're being led by one of the DIGT guys.

I lonewolf in the early evenings usually. If you can find a good fight, it's great fun. However, most of the time it's a huge zerg fest.

Amerish a bit less so, because it doesn't have lattice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    I lone wolf a fair bit these days because I often end up playing at funny times (early mornings at the weekends and late nights during the week). I usually fly my scythe whenever I can and then switch to CQC infil in mid sized fights when the scythe's on cooldown. I started my scythe career lolPPAing (once I'd stopped crashing quite so frequently) and am now working on making use of the hailstorm and trying to win dogfights. A good scythe run is great fun but a bad one ends in 20 seconds with 2 or more BR80+ enemy ESF pilots. Scythes die very quickly in those circumstances. Or when they are flown abrutly into towers/trees/whatever on take off. That's when the infil comes out for a bit of a recon dart enhanced game of cat and mouse at a small base or some really satisfying behind the lines mayhem in a bigger fight.

I think both of these playstyles are ones that I'd never have developed in the regular platoon play but now that I'm reasonably competent with them they can be deployed in the platoon setting really well. I'd encourage more people to practice with the scythe. It's taken me a lot of time to become only slightly better but it's so incredibly useful to have air supremacy and RPS usually is weak in this regard because one or two ace pilots is not enough (and I'm not counting myself as one of those!).
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Main reason to lonewolf for me is to get my weapons to auraxium.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Lone-wolfing is a good way to experiment with different classes and load-outs.

When lone wolfing, I usually go Heavy and get out my lock ons. Drop one base back from a fight, and drive the mossies/reavers wild, they never figure out where it's coming from. Or sometimes I go engi and man some turrets somewhere. Like Grible's original post, sometimes you get spontaneous groups forming to defend/attack/flank etc. It's amazing how much teamwork you can actually get without any comms.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfieV View Post
    When lone wolfing, I usually go Heavy and get out my lock ons. Drop one base back from a fight, and drive the mossies/reavers wild, they never figure out where it's coming from. Or sometimes I go engi and man some turrets somewhere. Like Grible's original post, sometimes you get spontaneous groups forming to defend/attack/flank etc. It's amazing how much teamwork you can actually get without any comms.
    Amazing, yes. It's also expected An entire module of my course was on emergent bahiviour
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus