Steam Sale: Devil May Cry 4 - Worth my time?

Not that my time is valuable or anything, I liked the first two and I saw that its on sale. I'm just wondering what people's opinions are on it.

Is it a worthwhile PC game? or a "PIECE OF SHIT CONSOLE PORT!!!1!"?

Also I'll take any other suggestions on good games from the sale I guess.

I think the first question is 'do you have a gamepad?'

Oh so it's like that? I don't have one. I'm not really that concerned if it is a 'console port' anyways, but yeah I hadn't thought about that (gamepad).

Well I haven't actually played DMC either on consoles or PC so feel free to throw this out in favour of comments from someone who has, but from what I understand about the games I'd be surprised if they were as enjoyable with keyboard/mouse as with a gamepad even if the devs hadn't been lazy with the port, which they may well have been seeing as it's Capcom and their record is somewhat mixed on PC, although improving of late. Maybe check out some reviews of the PC version and see what they have to do say about the controls?
    Last edited by Rii; 02-07-2011 at 05:07 AM.

Well the steam page has a decent checklist of PC specific features. Nothing about controls but I guess I'm not all that concerned. I mean, I can usually deal with it. Plus, for $9.99 I don't think I'll be all that disappointed if at all. Thanks for the suggestions though!

I've only played it with a gamepad, so I can't comment on the keyboard controls. It's a really good port though, from what I've seen. Looks nice and performs well on my mediocre hardware.

As far as the game itself, I haven't got far into it, but if you are interested in the concept I'd go for it. I've no experience with 3rd-person beat-'em-ups (or whatever the correct genre name is), but as far as I can tell DMC4 is really well-executed for what it is. I think the one people rave about is the console version of DMC3, but from vague memories of the 'research' I did, the port of that one is a bit dodgy.

DMC4 is one of Capcom's in-house ports, and it's of superb quality. Runs smooth, looks good, everything. The game itself is something of a mixed bag -- it's got a TON of backtracking. As in the second half of the game is the first half backwards, and I think the endgame was a lot of repeated bosses.

@ MD!: Oh yeah I noticed the same thing perusing metacritic reviews about DMC 3. Might hold off on that one even though I kind of missed out on it back in my console-heavy days. :(

@Miker: I suppose I don't mind backtracking. Nice to hear that about the quality too!
    Last edited by cybrbrnt; 02-07-2011 at 06:00 AM. Reason: addressing multiple people, old post was a little late

Quote Originally Posted by cybrbrnt View Post
    @ MD!: Oh yeah I noticed the same thing perusing metacritic reviews about DMC 3. Might hold off on that one even though I kind of missed out on it back in my console-heavy days. :(

@Miker: I suppose I don't mind backtracking. Nice to hear that about the quality too!
    For what it's worth, I finished it and enjoyed it a lot, but that's because I'm a sucker for the genre after playing through Ninja Gaiden on my old, fat Xbox. Honestly though it's not the greatest steal at $10 -- Capcom tends to be stingy in their sales on their PC game.

Activated Node
    That "special" price is laughable - I bought it on reflective plastic for a fiver or thereabouts ages ago. Then again, maybe old retail is running out of it - from a quick glance at Amazon you might save eighty pee or so on Steam at the moment vs rooting round the internet for best retail price.

Anyway, yes, the "port" (not a port in a pedantic sense, since iirc they made a big deal about it getting parallel development) is exemplary. It scales well, down as well as up, and the PC version has an exclusive (and excellent) bajillion foozles mode that the consoles wouldn't have been able to do. There's a free demo that includes the game's integrated benchmarky thing so you can check which shinies you can afford without dropping below 60Hz, if you want.

If you liked DMC2 (unless by "the first two" you mean 1 and 3) I can't imagine why you wouldn't like this. The story's incomprehensible trash and the protagonists contemptible arsewits, but you already know this if you've played any of them. Style juggling on Dante's a neat step forward from 3, Nero's reasonably amusing in his own right once you've rearranged the controls so that he actually works, and I didn't personally have any backtracking gripes, since the environments are a bit like God Hand's, anyway - just functional arenas to smack monsters about in. They still haven't figured out that no one wants to play their bloody awful occasional jumping puzzles, unfortunately.

You do most likely want a toybox style controller, since most keyboards probably won't even transmit enough keys at once to play it decently without some creative rebinding by a contortionist. I don't see that as a problem, since it's what the game was designed for, but it's additional expense to consider if you don't have one.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I tried the demo out last night, as I was tempted to buy it too. It seemed pretty good, but I would probably forget about it once some games I'm more interested in pop up on the Steam sale. If it had of been below 5, I might have gone with it, but the price was quite impulse buy when I know other things are going to come along.

Only played briefly, but it seemed the combat had a fair amount of depth to it, although the section I played didn't offer much challenge, so button mashing seemed to be a perfectly adequate strategy.

The style of it is pretty horrific though. A lot of bad heavy metal music. The few enemies I did see seemed to be a little more interesting than the standard, but I didn't see that much variety to them. Just something to smash.

I played on a pad. This kind of game just doesn't feel like it should be played with a keyboard and I've got no qualms with using a pad instead. Ignoring that, the port seems very good. My system is pretty beef though, so all was maxed out. It does look quite good too.

Activated Node
    I really enjoyed it. It's like a single player fighting game. I didn't feel the backtracking to be a problem since there was still plenty of dudes to cut into small pieces and you have a whole new set of weapons to cut them with.

It also has what has to be the best piece of monster design ever: A frog with a glowing tentacle to attract prey, much like a deep sea fish, except that the light is in the shape of a naked woman. I mean what even? Clearly a must buy.

Capcom does usually very good ports. The infamous Resident Evil 4 port was made by Ubisoft, for some reason.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

I played this quite a while back on a slow dual core and a terrible graphics card. It ran beautifully and looked great, so it seems like a very solid port to me.

Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec
    The DMC games on PC strike me as titles that say "press start" on the main menu. I pass on baseless assumptions.

DMC4 is a great port, but I find the game lacking when compared to DMC3, which is a terrible port.

DMC3 has much better combat, but the level design can be extremely confusing at times. There's a lot of backtracking in both games, but if you want a DMC game, I'd have to recommend 3.

DMC4 looks great and runs amazing on PC, awesome port.

It keeps playing the same nu-metal death-emo tune (I have no idea how to best describe its musical genre) during combat which got really tiresome. That tune was so horrid but got so drilled in my head I would sing it to myself like an absolute freak and quite often have to apologise to myself. Maybe that signifies more of a problem with me than the tune, but c'mon:

The time has come and so have I
    I’ll laugh last cause you came to die
    The damage done~the pain subsides
    And I can see the fear clear when I look in your eye

Imagine listening to that in a growly emo-whisper during (almost) every fight and you have my major memory of DMC4.

I was really impressed with the frog boss's antennae too, very cool idea.