Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Name is TailSwallower.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Skydancer in game.
    CWalker00> SKYDANCER YOU UTTER BOLLOCKS

evil jace in game

you guys play this much i think lone wolfing it all the time im missing something

Quote Originally Posted by Eviljace View Post

you guys play this much i think lone wolfing it all the time im missing something
    It's far, far better with a team, that's what it's designed for after all. There aren't many other games I've played where teamwork pays off so spectacularly well. A coordinated team of 8 average players can absolutely wreck 8 superb individuals playing alone.

All that's lacking now is a fully implemented matchmaking system.

I was kind of wondering what prompted the bump, but now I see:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/561...0#entry1130260

NDA is dead. Now all questions can be answered directly!
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Obscure Node
    I'm new to the RPS forums, but I've been playing the MWO beta for a few days now. My username is the same in both (Kenseu, if you didn't know that). I'd love to join anyone form the community in a game sometime.

Note: I am American, so my use of the letter "u" may differ from yours.

so we going to get a team up for this

maybe a name for the team?

Team name: STOMPFACE!

Or simply STOMPSTOMP

So the NDA's finally lifted and I can't remember my in-game name. That's embarrassing...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    So I am thinking about building a mech designed for taking out components of enemy mechs, especially heavies and assaults. Especially weapon hardpoints like arms and shoulders. Any idea what to go for? I was thinking about a Hunchback and filing it with medium lasers but I don't know if ACs wouldn't be a better way to go.
    The mech should not be designed to be a brawler, more like popping up in a fight, taking out a component and going back into cover. So movement and rotation speed should still be a important criteria. Any suggestions?

For the role you've described the Hunchback with lasers is pretty good. The Jenner with laser can be almost as good, but you're trading armour for speed and can't quite get as many heatsinks. You can also just about fit a gauss rifle on the Raven, which makes it excellent at pissing off bigger mechs, but you'll only rarely kill things with it.

You can build a knife with anything that isn't missiles, machineguns, flamers, LB-X, or PPCs.

-

The Swayback (laser hunchback with 6 medlas on shoulders, a medlas on each arm and either a small or medlas on the head) is excellent for hit and run. Each medium laser is 5 points of damage, so six of them are better than a hit from the ac20 a hunchback usually carries. You also don't have to worry about ammo explosions.

The problem is that you run VERY hot. You can get off one, maybe two shots before shutting down and have to give up engines and armour to do so, as well as packing all your heatsinks in areas that are easily removed by opponents. It's also a little hard to aim the laser array precisely.

If you're crazy you can downgrade to small lasers (still better than an ac20), which used to let you fit an engine fast enough to let you outrun lights. However, things changed and now you get a little less heat dissipation and a lot less speed, so big mechs will probably just swot you after you've burned through their rear armour.

Lasers have two real drawbacks: excess heat which will force you to shut down (or, if you're hammering O, take internal damage and crits) and their damage is done over a brief period of time. Pulse lasers are better than medium lasers at surgery - they do their damage over a shorter period AND do slightly more damage, but they run a lot hotter and have a shorter range before damage falloff begins.

PPCs are like bad lasers. They have a small AOE for damage so whilst they do all their damage at once it's never where you want it to be and they have travel time / occasionally just clip through targets.

Autocannons and the gauss rifle deal instant damage to a single component, which is nice, but they weight so much and are so prone to exploding that it's rare to recommend them. On the other hand, for a fast hunter you'll want an XL engine which means ammo explosions probably aren't going to bother you anyway. The Gauss is the best of a bad lot, and it only takes two shots from one to headcap any mech in the game. Doing THAT, however, requires good aim and probably an arm mounted ballistics slot.

The LB-X is currently a shotgun. It's worthless at anything further than arms reach and is nowhere near as good as it is in tabletop.

-

When the next couple of heavy mechs arrive things will open up. Neither of the current ones is particularly good. The Dragon lacks a clear role and the Catapult does very little an assault mech doesn't do better.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

what is the full list of mechs avaiable now?
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Currently its:

Commando
    Jenner
    Raven
    Centurion
    Hunchback
    Dragon
    Catapult
    Awesome
    Atlas

Of course there are several variants of those with different hardpoints.
    Likely that there are some other mechs introduced with the next patch. Announced mechs like Cicade, Cataphract, Stalker and Flea aren't in yet.

*edit*
    Aaaand of course after tying that found this:
    http://mwowiki.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
    ;)
    Last edited by bonkers; 06-10-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Network Hub
    Man they probably dont have any of the mechs I like, they never show up in the games.

*checks list*
    Centurion
    Trebuchet

welp im good. Does anyone know when the founders package ends? I want to buy it right before the beta ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Inverselaw View Post
    Man they probably dont have any of the mechs I like, they never show up in the games.

*checks list*
    Centurion
    Trebuchet

welp im good. Does anyone know when the founders package ends? I want to buy it right before the beta ends.
    You're playing with fire if you don't get it soon; officially founders' was supposed to end a few weeks back but they've obviously kept it open due to demand.

Obscure Node
    I'd like to join you gentlemen, my ingame name is doktorzli, I specialized in light scout role, piloting jenner and commando. Hopefully raven one day when they implement EW :D
    Any TS servers we use?

I have been playing for nearly 2 weeks now, after my first night of closed beta, I immediately plunked down 60$. This game made me stop playing Torchlight 2, Borderlands 2, and the Close Quarters expansion on BF3. I got my first mechwarrior experience back in the "Crescent Hawks Inception" on the C64 and by reading every Battletech book I could find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BattleT...39;s_Inception

"CrockdaddyAoD" is my in game name. Please feel free to add me. I favor heavier mechs. I like LRM boats on the lake and large caliber AC variant weapons. I hate Jenners with a passion, even while I respect those crazy bastards.

It finally runs smoothly now after the NDA-drop patch (on my C2D dual-core winXP32bit machine).

Did you guys start a corp already?

I am Lyesainer in MWO, add me up whenever you want to. (still a noob to this rly, haven't played the tabletop and all, so i am struggling with the (lack of) tooltips and general module info of the game). Will probably end up playing a Hunchback, for obvious reasons :P
    --
    -- V. Don Quixote. Tyler Durden. Donnie Darko. Martin Sillenas. Maynard. Rorschach. You. Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback View Post
    [...]haven't played the tabletop and all, so i am struggling with the (lack of) tooltips and general module info of the game).
    I don't think tabletop experience would be much use, but if you've played any of the older MW games you'd have a decent idea of what was going on.

I've played a couple of rounds, but nothing about the game draws me in. Sure, part of that is the MP-only factor, but I've played a couple of hours of Hawken and thoroughly enjoyed myself.