Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome 2 thread

Rome 2 thread

Someone talk to me and justify my decision not to pre order

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    if you could only find it for full price, you were absolutely right not to pre-order. Pre-ordering is a bad idea, a bad principle, bad for players, and by not doing so, you contributed a little to showing that some people are actually against it. Well done.

Ok, feel good about yourself now?

Network Hub
    I dunno. I talked myself out of it in RPS Steam chat and then had a quick sneak peek at the store page to see what price it was at...and my conviction not to give in to their stupid pre-order bonus bullshit crumbled.

I've not even completed a campaign of Shogun 2..or Rise of the Samurai...or Fall of the Samurai....or any TW game released ever. But I still bought this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    if you could only find it for full price, you were absolutely right not to pre-order. Pre-ordering is a bad idea, a bad principle, bad for players, and by not doing so, you contributed a little to showing that some people are actually against it. Well done.

Ok, feel good about yourself now?
    The fact that it's $60 doesn't really help, either (not sure about UK pricing).

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    The fact that it's $60 doesn't really help, either (not sure about UK pricing).

29.99. It was originally on at 44.99 (the inflated price that Activision demands for console versions of CoD games) but that didn't last and it was reduced down to constant -33% 'Sale' fairly sharpish. I wonder what happened to people that paid 45 for it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    You won't get to play with Toy Soldier Hoplites tomorrow like me.

If you don't like playing with Toy Soldier Hoplites you definitely made the right decision.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Amazon have the retail for 25 pounds. I crumbled for that.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Got it much cheaper on GMG (Steam wants $74.95 USD, which with the current AUD:USD is nearly $89, or the cost of a boxed copy!) including the Greek city states DLC, which is really the only reason to preorder (unless you get a decent discount too).

Um... so... 5 hours to go.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Raaritsgozilla View Post
    The reviews sound a lot like those for Empire. It looks great, there are a lot of bugs, the AI needs patching. So a few months from now, you'll be able to buy a fixed product for a lower price!

I preordered, though, and I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with it today. The preorder went on sale (that is, not the ten percent off if you preorder, an actual twenty or thirty percent off) a few times, which surprised me rather, but it did tempt me to preorder (from getgamesgo) so I guess it worked. . .

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raaritsgozilla View Post
    Quite likely you haven't completed all the campaigns or special battles of earlier Total War games, meaning there's plenty of unplayed Total War content that you have already purchased!

Also, Rome II will very likely be 50% off in a sale somewhere before the end of the year. And when dealing with Empire that lasted about 2000 years, what difference do a few months make?
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

This might help - I DID pre-order on steam because I am weak - it's the only pre-order I've had possibly ever? Anyway, it unlocked this morning just a minute before I left for work so I have gained nothing!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EOT View Post
    29.99. It was originally on at 44.99 (the inflated price that Activision demands for console versions of CoD games) but that didn't last and it was reduced down to constant -33% 'Sale' fairly sharpish. I wonder what happened to people that paid 45 for it?
    Dunno how preordering on Steam works because you can start preloading it right away, yes? So presumably the money is gone immediately. On amazon they don't take any money till the product is on it's way (not sure how it works for their new digital branch), and adjust the price accordingly. I preordered when Rome II was 30, it went down to 25 and my final bill reflected that. Hell, I think they've refunded me for prices that have dropped a little since my item has been dispatched. I'm talkin' silly amounts like 29 pence. Amazon are really cool like that. There are too many companies that would rather bite of their own hand than straight up give me my 29 pence back, usually trying to tie it an account and some points system.

Quote Originally Posted by SanguineAngel View Post
    Anyway, it unlocked this morning just a minute before I left for work so I have gained nothing!
    Mwhahaha.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 03-09-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Amazon have the retail for 25 pounds. I crumbled for that.
    Me to. Also get the stupid dlc bonus with that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Amazon are really cool like that. There are too many companies that would rather bite of their own hand than straight up give me my 29 pence back, usually trying to tie it an account and some points system.
    Steady on now. They pay no tax the bastards

But ye, Amazon do treat there customers well, just a shame they can't cough anything up for society.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Cap View Post
    The reviews sound a lot like those for Empire. It looks great, there are a lot of bugs, the AI needs patching. So a few months from now, you'll be able to buy a fixed product for a lower price!

I preordered, though, and I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with it today. The preorder went on sale (that is, not the ten percent off if you preorder, an actual twenty or thirty percent off) a few times, which surprised me rather, but it did tempt me to preorder (from getgamesgo) so I guess it worked. . .
    S’funny, I’ve read quite a few reviews now and they all appear to suggest it’s the biggest and best of the series, but are marking it down for bugs-fair enough-but mainly for providing evolution rather than revolution. Which is fine I guess, I’m just not sure why they might have expected something other than a Romeified Shogun with a few new bits. Maybe it’s just a consequence of being trapped in the hype machine. I’ve personally seen nothing in all of its development to suggest it would be anything new.

I pre-ordered,. No time to really do anything with it at present, but I’ve never not had a TW game on day of release, going all the way back to Shogun. It’s a bit of a tradition. A sad tradition maybe, but a tradition nonetheless. I'll coo at the all the little men after work. And in the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I envy those who can happily pass over some of the games entirely because the changes are so gradual these days. Rome II was never going to be the huge gamechanger Rome I was. What really interested me about Rome II were little details like fighting units garnering a reputation, building architecture slowly getting changed to reflect the occupying faction, basically anything that gives my army more personality. And of course it's always a fantastic setting to play. My interest in medieval Japan was somewhat lacking.

Everyone at TW Centre and Official forums are adorably furious. I really wish I wasn’t so amused by that. Be really disappointed if my men don’t have these faces

http://i.imgur.com/mpLB5tS.jpg

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I would be more furious about the blocky armor haha,otherwise it scored 85 on PCGAMER.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Don't know about anyone else but my game looks awful and runs like crap. Anyone else having this issue?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Mine runs ok for my settings, running on ultra and the benchmark gives me 45ish fps, but I expected it to look better. It is early days and a total war game, hopefully patches will fix it. That being said the game loads so much faster than Shogun 2