Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar

Wargame: Red Dragon

As of yesterday evening the early access Beta for W:RD is live.

Expected bugs and balancing aside, quite enjoying what I'm seeing so far. New deck mechanics encourage specialization and artillery has seen some work. Planes are a bit too powerful again, persumably because of the Naval inclusion.

Map design however is fantastic, a lot better than the initial WALB maps were. Amusingly I couldn't process the existence of "hills" the first time I played it; it opens up a plethora of possibilites.

Anyone else here stomping around east Asia?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    I took a brief look at it this morning before going off to do important stuff, and I am impressed by the deck choices, which seem to enforce specialization a lot more too.
    I also like the new "coalition" decks.

But I haven't played it yet, just looked at the stuff on display.

edit: scissored out incorrect info
    Last edited by Grizzly; 19-03-2014 at 02:19 PM.

To get an idea of the units, you can check out the armory on imgur.

The pictures were made in the closed beta however, so stats aren't accurate.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    eh, still have to play the first game. Quite current with all the fun Cold War mess nowadays.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Is there a group move command this time? That is, a move command that causes everything selected to move at the speed of the slowest thing? This was conspicuously missing from Airland Battle.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Is there a group move command this time? That is, a move command that causes everything selected to move at the speed of the slowest thing? This was conspicuously missing from Airland Battle.
    Unfortunately, no. You could try suggesting it in the forums, but I don't know if they'd be able to work it in by release this April.

Obscure Node
    Played a game of it last night.

I'm not sure where people are getting the "planes are too powerful" thing from. Or those that complain that tanks are all but useless. Perhaps it was just the map I played on - Cliffhanger, I think? Lots of hilly terrain. I had an assortment of Tigers on the field, on top of my ground forces, while my team mate had various choppers carrying TOW-2s, which did, admittedly, tend to put a dampener on anyone trying to move much armour about, but they certainly weren't being shot up by planes. Artillery is very effective against soft targets, and from what little experience I had, borderline useless against hard targets (and my poor opponent wasted dozens of high calibre rounds trying, and failing, to kill AMX-30 Roland 3s.)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Tanks have always been a little tricky to use correctly in Wargame, right? We get too used to other RTSs where you just drag select a bunch and a-move. Are the complaints coming from experienced players?

Tanks are still great. With the current state of artillery (i.e. still in need of tweaking) most players just micro recon and try to snipe stuff, but a proper tank assault with proper support will still wreck havoc.

The problems with planes atm is that they aren't too powerful (imho they are just right), but that AA is a bit too weak. A slight accuracy and/or range tweak across the board might make AA nets a lot more viable now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strazz View Post
    Unfortunately, no. You could try suggesting it in the forums, but I don't know if they'd be able to work it in by release this April.
    Thanks, that's a real shame though. I love Wargame, but the interface is just needlessly awkward. It's strange for such an otherwise lovingly-crafted title to be missing such basic control features.