Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49
  1. #21
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    105
    Here's the PCG interview that was promised!

    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/28/in...kwork-empires/

  2. #22
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    118
    boatmurdered!

    Terry Gilliam!

    8 core CPU support!

    finished reading this, and if they can pull off this extremely ambitious project and live up to the (apparently sky high) hype, it'll be something really special indeed.

    Also



    x10.
    Last edited by Prokroustis; 29-08-2012 at 12:33 AM.

  3. #23
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    That hellhole known as "Spain"
    Posts
    1,780
    Charles Dickes with 'Nam flashbacks.

    Oh my.

  4. #24
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    226
    The interview makes me so excited. Deformable terrain, adjustable size of buildings with consequences on input/output, DF/settlers type control, megaprojects, mad science, people collecting pictures of dead badgers, the list goes on and on.

  5. #25
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    μ
    Posts
    1,118
    So much awesome.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

  6. #26
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,000
    I do feel a little bit of apprehension. This is an enormously ambitious project. The proposed feature list is very large and full of complicated things which interact in complicated ways. Their previous title is a very nice take on the classic Rogue-like formula, both well designed and executed, but it doesn't seem like it would prepare you for something of this magnitude.

    I'm way more excited than apprehensive, though. If they can implement even a few of the things they say they want to I shall be most pleased. Games like this often take a while after release to fully mature anyway, and I don't mind that.

  7. #27
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    1,002
    Gaslamp has just posted a really interesting article on the design of the game's factories:

    http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/09/...-for-everyone/

  8. #28
    Network Hub Chaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Gloucester, UK
    Posts
    291
    Reading about the setting for this reminds me a bit of The Light Ages by Ian R. Macleod; set in a Victorian steampunk world, powered by an other worldy magical substance. I still haven't read the follow up set in the same world, The House of Storms yet. Although that's possibly because I found The Light Ages quite grim and depressing, in much the same way that China Miéville's New Crobuzon books are.

    But really looking forward to this game anyway.

  9. #29
    Activated Node ConcreteOtter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington, the state
    Posts
    51
    Thanks for the link Faldrath. After playing a disappointing demo of XCOM, reading the posts by Gaslamp Games on their development of Clockwork Empires has really brightened up my day. An open look at design and development decisions is far better as creating excitement over a title than a 6 GB cut-scene laden demo, but maybe I am in the minority on that. But back on topic, this title has a lot of promise and the theme looks refreshingly different from recent city builders that have focused on realism and graphical fidelity.

  10. #30
    Lesser Hivemind Node ado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    645
    I love everything I read about this game so far, but from those PC Gamer screenshots I'm not really that in to the art-direction they're going with. Oh well, I'm sure the final game will look better in motion and less... Dopey.
    steam

    http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

  11. #31
    Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    611
    I wish there was some RPS coverage on this and the latest DoD expansion.
    steam


  12. #32
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    1,002
    http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/10/...s-game-design/

    This was one of the best things I've read today. And yes, I do hope someone at RPS is taking a look at this series, every single post has been interesting.

  13. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,069
    Lovecraftian
    This word has lost all meaning after year 2000.

  14. #34
    Lesser Hivemind Node Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Capital of Scandinavia
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    This word has lost all meaning after year 2000.
    It does seem to have become one of the most frequent adjectives used to describe games as of late. I don't really pay attention to it anymore. The game does look fun though.

  15. #35
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/10/...s-game-design/

    This was one of the best things I've read today. And yes, I do hope someone at RPS is taking a look at this series, every single post has been interesting.
    Thank you! Great post and what seems to be a great game in the making.

  16. #36
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    226
    http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/10/...shiveringhope/

    Copied from one of the comment threads today.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    I do feel a little bit of apprehension. This is an enormously ambitious project. The proposed feature list is very large and full of complicated things which interact in complicated ways. Their previous title is a very nice take on the classic Rogue-like formula, both well designed and executed, but it doesn't seem like it would prepare you for something of this magnitude.

    I'm way more excited than apprehensive, though. If they can implement even a few of the things they say they want to I shall be most pleased. Games like this often take a while after release to fully mature anyway, and I don't mind that.
    Same here. I'm getting a lot of Molyneux vibes from these guys, as in they're getting really excited and throwing out a ton of wonderful ideas without first taking the time to figure out if they can actually deliver on them. I hope they can, but I get the feeling they don't realize what they've gotten themselves into.

  18. #38
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    16
    Do. Want.
    Naow!

  19. #39
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius Wangenheim View Post
    Same here. I'm getting a lot of Molyneux vibes from these guys, as in they're getting really excited and throwing out a ton of wonderful ideas without first taking the time to figure out if they can actually deliver on them. I hope they can, but I get the feeling they don't realize what they've gotten themselves into.
    These guys often respond in the comments on their blog, and from their responses they seem quite reasonable. I got the feeling they know how to separate the "This would be really cool and amazing" and "This can be implemented and will enhance the game". So I'm optimistic at the moment, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

  20. #40
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    These guys often respond in the comments on their blog, and from their responses they seem quite reasonable. I got the feeling they know how to separate the "This would be really cool and amazing" and "This can be implemented and will enhance the game". So I'm optimistic at the moment, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Well, passion is always a good thing in development. I mean, honestly, the Molyneux-Factor isn't quite a bad thing. It just shows how development really is. People imagine things, people have to cut things. That's how it works in the end. And seriously: Most Molyneux-Games weren't bad. Just compared to what he wished the games to be. So your way seems to be the best one: Being optimistic and taking everything we can get in the end. Even if half of the ideas are in it'd be still a good game.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •