Page 110 of 214 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160210 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 4280
    But it is already through the roof. Honestly, I am not sure if the notion of monetizing everything is for the good of the game in the long run. They have already turned basic features of the game (trait reset, custom arenas) into paid services and it doesn't resonate well with the community.

Edit: Interestingly, buying gold on the black market gives you roughly double the amount of what you would get by buying from Anet.

Disclaimer: I do not in any shape or form endorse gold sellers / the black market. The above is merely an observation made based on data provided by gw2tp.com (which in turn also do not endorse the mentioned services).
    Last edited by Squiz; 22-11-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    I think it would push it to over 10g tbh. It jumped up by over 1-1.5 gold with the tower items unleashed just 2 weeks ago.
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

From a certain point onwards it doesn't really matter anymore how much it increases, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    From a certain point onwards it doesn't really matter anymore how much it increases, does it?
    hmm... there will be I guess a point where you can't earn enough gold per day to cope with using that for gem purchase (and other items) and thus real money will be used - and that is where anet will be rubbing their hands with glee.
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

In an overall sense, maybe. A lot of people however will stop bothering to buy stuff from the gemstore. I certainly won't do it in the foreseeable future since I actually want to use the gold I make playing the game on other stuff. And given the rather poor quality of items offered I probably won't spend any more real money on the game either (except maybe for an expansion... yeah, one can dream).

Network Hub
    I'm just glad I got my extra character and bank slots back when they were more affordable (in gold).

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    In an overall sense, maybe. A lot of people however will stop bothering to buy stuff from the gemstore. I certainly won't do it in the foreseeable future since I actually want to use the gold I make playing the game on other stuff. And given the rather poor quality of items offered I probably won't spend any more real money on the game either (except maybe for an expansion... yeah, one can dream).
    and you aren't who they are aiming at... for a number of reasons but the above show that. I'm not either and I tbh I doubt any of us in RPS are - we're here together because of similar brain types.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    I have a simple Philosophy regarding gem purchasing and buying stuff in game:
    1. I will use gems to enhance the overall game rather than for specific characters
    (the exception being Transmutation Crystals, since there is no other way of getting skin & stats)
    2. Other than the above, if I can't get it with in-game currency, it ain't worth having.

I don't have a problem giving Anet money, they do need to pay the developers after all; although I'll wait for them to start producing some good new content before I give them any more.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMonster View Post
    and you aren't who they are aiming at... for a number of reasons but the above show that. I'm not either and I tbh I doubt any of us in RPS are - we're here together because of similar brain types.
    oh, you are quite wrong there. There are a few RPSers who spend real money on the game.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

@Yargh: I couple of months ago I would have agreed with you but then Ascended weapons were introduced and Ascended armor announced. Now I use my alts for farming orichalcum nodes, exploiting class specific farming spots and maybe running around with a WvW zerg every now and then. Oh and I played two or three matches of sPvP a couple of days ago (they were really fun though).

@Monkey: I may not be part of the target audience but I am a part of what keeps the game alive, the overall player population. Who's going to pay for cosmetic stuff if the game itself become stale and grindy in the long run?

Ahh, there is a difference between target audience and being a target for money - ie whale.

and to answer Hawks point too - we (some of us) might spend money because we want to for a very specific reason. Whales just spend money because...
    Last edited by MonkeyMonster; 22-11-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I've not spent anything on the gem store as I simply think the items in there are too expensive.

If things were half the price or better I would have picked up countless things but it's not exactly a micro-transaction when it costs more than some games for a mining pick.

All my gold is going towards the very very slow legendary process so no more gem stuff for now.

Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    All my gold is going towards the very very slow legendary process so no more gem stuff for now.
    Same here. No idea what comes after that though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    A page worth of debate since I last checked this morning. Oh well - I'll chip in:
    I've got no problem with paying real money for stuff in the gem store - the game has to pay for itself, and I far prefer a single payment, optional microtransactions for character slots or cosmetic/convenience items, and possible future payments for expansion packs to a sub based model. So does most of the rest of the planet given the decline in sub based MMOs. I think much of the gem store stuff is overpriced, and spend far less there than I would if there were more microtransaction level stuff (8.50 for a glowy green axe - no thanks. 0.95? - I'll take four please... this seems so at odds with the app store model I'm amazed, but I'm not ANets economist)
    I also have no problem with being able to buy the same goods with in game currency, so those more time rich and cash poor can compete. It is inevitable the cost of gems will rise over time, as it is doing.

I have 3 issues: One is RNG - that the gem store design exploits gambling mechanics in a way that I think is insultingly poor design. RNG for game drops is lazy game design but is acceptable; in the cash shop it is not [disclaimer: I blew some gems on 25 keys, got nothing, and won't do it again. I didn't like the RNG before or after, I'm just as much a sucker for an occasional flutter as anyone else]. Essentially they make less money out of people like me who will buy something for a fixed cost, than out of gamblers who will buy an unknown chance at something. This is straight out of F2P economics/psychology and the only solution is to ignore it.
    My second problem is that in game cash does not reflect time played or skill closely enough. Some activities (WvW, fracs, open world pve) give rubbish gold per hour compared with others (farming, dungeons, zerg of the month, COF1 back in the day). This leads to folk farming the most profitable routes over and over which isnt fun, or choosing not to and falling behind the inflation curve. This is then worsened enormously by TP flipping and RNG (specifically precursor drops or forging). Again, I can live with it by focussing on the things I like to do, which since dungeon updates and next weeks frac one happen to be relatively profitable, but I cant avoid the inflation or impact on the gem price.
    The 3rd issue is the biggie though. The current gem store setup is profitable enough for ANet it drives the rest of the game's development and design - living story, achievements and temporary content are all designed to keep people playing and on average buying gems regularly - for time limited offers or RNG keys. I'd give them 30 quid in an instant for an expansion pack. But as enough others globally won't, I fear we wont see it and eventually that will drive me from the game.
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Final point (I promise) is Skill. The number of rewards linked to skill is limited to frac weapons (and they are RNG based), some titles (dungeon master, the Teq ones), Arah skins as that doesn't have a fast/easy path, perhaps one or two of the harder LW metas, but I cant think of any that werent trivial offhand. Tribulation mode skins are the only things that truly fit this description, and they are for a mini game rather than anything to do with the actual game mechanics. This seems strange to my eye, as having challenging content that you can brag about seems essential in this kind of game.
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

The last point (skill) has been raised numerous times by players on the official forums as well. Basically, most "endgame" content is dependend on RNG and/or your time to farm gold in Dungeons/current meta abuse and not on skill or even time invested in farming/gathering stuff per se. Sure, you can farm ori/logs and turn them into gold, but you cannot get a quantifiable estimate of how close you are to acquiring items like RNG box locked skins (if not on the TP) or - and this is what bothers the bigger part of the critics - a Precursor. Basically, you farm easy content/current money making meta and buy stuff off of the TP that came as lucky drops from other players.

I can see that Arenanet has to pay the developers, but in honesty, I'd rather not incentivise the continuation of the current LW model and rather hope for a paid expansion. If the future development of the game doesn't turn into another direction, it's probably best not to invest any more real money into the "experience" anyway and rather hope for a better pay2play game (i.e., something with a set price attached to the box like GW2 did it but with better monetisation options).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    I've spent cash on inventory/bank space and a character slot. I've spent gold on gathering tools and a couple of skins. I don't mind paying for content, but with the prices in the gem store there's going to have to be some serious convenience to be had for me to whip out my credit card. If the price of gems keeps rising to unreasonable levels I will simply not buy the sort of things I've previously spent gold on.

I do wonder though - surely at some point the market for tiny conveniences and skins will start to become sated? Having no other source of income for the game seems a little vulnerable but for all I know they're raking in bazillions and I'm some sort of ancient fossil. Possibly a pterodactyl.

Also the Black Lion roulette boxes are horrible.

Hey all,

Been on a bit of a hiatus recently, so haven't been in game much. Not run off, just taking a bit of a break to play some other stuff and to come back in refreshed and with a new time sink goal. I think Chakan is currently dead half way up the krait tower.
    My Blog|Steam|GW2 Main: Chakan Khimar

so perhaps the geeks amongst us can build/find a bolt on for organising who would like to do fractals/dungeons etc with an avail/def (permitting cataclysms) or space fillers.
    just aware that we've incidents where passers by in the guild can fill slots of the core who agree to go because of chance and thus there isn't enough to create 2nd parties for those who wanted to but arrived a few minutes after?

Although the attempt to fell Tequatl failed tonight on GH, there will be further events like this in the future. Check the GH community forums for more information.