Page 14 of 206 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
    Hey, welcome back Timofee, hope you are all relaxed and smooth going (even more so than usual, hurr hurr). See you in-game soon!

Obscure Node
    rps were well-represented in the business of getting e-drunk

+

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Welcome back, glorious leader Timofee!

Darnit I missed the Pink Day fun (stupid XCom!).

PCGamer's hands-on preview of the Halloween update:

Very excited now!

Unfortunately the update is going live about 5pm PST, so us Europeans won't actually get to see it until tomorrow morning

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Looks fun, but having to wait isn't :O

And somehow people will be able to make tons of money during this event (see Black Lion Chests)...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    My pc is not good enough to play WvWvW :/ big battles take too much out of my old laptop.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Don't want to spoil too much, but if you like exploration there are some new events in Mount Maelstrom which have you kill a veteran mob (called Keeper of [Element]) and then leads into something else that's pretty cool. I haven't seen these before and found it in three places this evening so I assume it's among the new events and other things they added with the patch.
    Last edited by Skalpadda; 24-10-2012 at 05:42 AM.

The Lion's Arch ghost hunt is very poorly explained (hardly at all). I've had to read a wiki to figure it out.

But the costume brawls are fun to watch. The first time I saw one I felt more confused than after watching the Hotline Miami trailer.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Obscure Node
    finally, some fov changes (albeit still being tested)

if you add -testVerticalFov at the end of your gw2 shortcut (with a space) you will finally have access to Tyria's sky

e.g.
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe" -testVerticalFov
    +

examples (not the best location to show it, really)

WvWvW has been fantastic this week. We've had some really good commanders.

BTW I've put in a request on the GH forum under Krathor to join the RPS group on there. Can someone approve it? I'm looking forward to Mumbling it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Krathor View Post

BTW I've put in a request on the GH forum under Krathor to join the RPS group on there. Can someone approve it? I'm looking forward to Mumbling it up.
    Just PM Timofee, he can get you in. The GH forum people are really excellent. Anyone only slightly interested in WvWvW should register and get on that Mumble server.

Quote Originally Posted by Krathor View Post

Done

10 char

Linsey Murdock Unveils New High End Ascended Gear

Not particularly happy about it.

Quite early to start the power inflation game and one of the things I appreciated the most in Guild Wars 1 was the fact that you could gear up your characters with relatively low effort and focus on improving your playing skills rather than your equipment.

Also, I hate RNG.

Hope we won't get a new carrot to grind every three months.
    Last edited by Kismet; 13-11-2012 at 08:06 AM.
    No stone left unturned. No tree left unpruned.

I really don't like it in principle, but willing to wait and see in practise. Hoping in the long run that ascended items fall in places other than a single dungeon in the future.

The stat difference is, at base, neglibile. The bonuses that come from infusions are unknown at this point but, since they are slottable and come in different types, I doubt they are unimportant outside of the Agony defence aspect. It irks me that they bothered to add an increase at all at the base level, but maybe the ascended items are limited in their stat combinations and therefore exotics will still be more desirable in general use.

Agreed on the last point, but this is one part of a bunch of new content. If they keep bringing the new content I'm happy to continue ignoring gear grinds and just keep playing the fun parts.
    Last edited by Screwie; 13-11-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Without random loot drops, the only real reason to keep playing is the legendary grind.

As it is you can max out your character from level 1 to lvl 80 in full exotic gear in a couple of months (or a much, much shorter period of time if you set your mind to it). After that how many really want to grind forever for a long term goal?

Sure, some people are happy to PvP, but I suspect for most people gear acquisition and refining the look of their character are why they play this type of game. There's very little gear granularity. There aren't really any exotics that are "better" than the exotic you're currently using, just exotics specced to a different speciality.

Having said that, I'm just not getting bogged down in any kind of grind, including any rare loot grinding. I found dungeons to be no fun at all so I'll probably level up a few more character classes some day and leave it at that until there's a rise in the level cap or some other wrinkle to catch my interest.

I'm pretty much over my GW2 obssession. Had to happen eventually.

frightlever, have you by chance already tried WvWvW?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    The stat difference is, at base, neglibile.
    It amounts to about 8% higher stats. I wouldn't call that negligible. Granted, it's only 3 slots for now, but they've made it clear that all armor will receive this new tier in due time.

Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    Without random loot drops, the only real reason to keep playing is the legendary grind.
    Or, you know, people could keep playing because they find the game fun in itself, not for extrinsic rewards.

When did that go out of style?

There's already plenty of MMO options for skinner-trained rats who love gear treadmills. GW2 was supposed to be the chosen one! I mean, the one without vertical progression. It's in their damn manifesto, FFS.

*sigh*

I increasingly get the impression that Anet understand, and are excellent at, broad strokes game design but are middling to poor when it comes to the finer details. Decisions such as this and the large number of niggling little things they steadfastly refuse to change annoys me greatly.

I worry that its not too long before they post along the lines of "Don't worry guys, we've added a new harder dungeon - the bosses have over 300% more health."

That is the day I shall stop playing. Although at this rate it may come before then.

Also the day I sweep to power on the tide of popular opinion / blood (delete as appropriate) is the day I ban with guns people who think more health = more challenge.

sad face

Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    *sigh*

I increasingly get the impression that Anet understand, and are excellent at, broad strokes game design but are middling to poor when it comes to the finer details. Decisions such as this and the large number of niggling little things they steadfastly refuse to change annoys me greatly.
    I do think it's a symptom of their multiple development teams for different areas of the game. The people making this content are not the people who made the Halloween content and neither of them are the people working on the first big expansion. Maybe more overhead in the minutae of what each of these teams are doing might help them stick closer to earlier design principles.

(Another theory is that after a pretty crappy year for NCsoft, they are leaning hard on ANet to improve player retention/milk out more money-moneys. Who knows?)

Personally I am in the opposite boat right now, I'm still enjoying the game and wanting to see more - especially the PvE - but I just can't find time to play.

I am turning into a super casual and when I eventually drift away from the game it'll probably be before ascended items (and possible imagined future loot curves) have had any noticeable effect on my enjoyment. Kind of a selfish attitude, I admit.