Page 59 of 208 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 4145
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlupius3 View Post
    And to be fair, it is not a gameplay-trailer designed to show how the game actually is, but a pre-release trailer to make people enthusiastic of the world of GW2.
    You are correct, this isn't a gameplay trailer but an advert to show off the most fascinating aspects of the game world. Still I find it interesting to see how different these elements appear in-game compared to the trailer. It almost makes the personal story look engaging. No, but seriously, those player character shots really bear little similiarity with the actual game. At least WvW seems to be portrayed halfway accurately.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    Wow, that game looks amazing; I vote that Zongkong develop GW3.

Seriously though, advertising rules are not as strict in Asia as they are in the Western world so Anet's chinese partners are able to show something that is more, err, aspirational.

I am also curious about how the servers will be split up, since our best bet for night coverage is Australia who would be much closer to the Asian servers I assume.

Also looking forward to the new influx of bots and the resulting crash in fine mats prices. Although I suspect that Anet's new crafting materials produced from lower tier mats is partly to combat that.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hawksbane View Post
    Wow, that game looks amazing; I vote that Zongkong develop GW3.

Seriously though, advertising rules are not as strict in Asia as they are in the Western world so Anet's chinese partners are able to show something that is more, err, aspirational.

I am also curious about how the servers will be split up, since our best bet for night coverage is Australia who would be much closer to the Asian servers I assume.

Also looking forward to the new influx of bots and the resulting crash in fine mats prices. Although I suspect that Anet's new crafting materials produced from lower tier mats is partly to combat that.
    Games are often put out in china with different payment models and I quite expect GW2 to be similar to this.

If so the chinese servers could be completely separate to the others, thus things like the trading post could be unique to the chinese region. This would stop any trading post price crashes and hopefully minimize the bot population spilling into other regions.

Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    Games are often put out in china with different payment models and I quite expect GW2 to be similar to this.
    I once read that the Asian MMO market often is more grind- and RNG-oriented than the Western one. Oh wait...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    The Chinese servers will be completely separate -- I'm pretty sure that's confirmed.

It's a good trailer, but it gives away most of the visually spectacular occurrences in the game in advance.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    It's a good trailer, but it gives away most of the visually spectacular cutscenes in the game in advance.
    Fixed that.

Edit: I realise I'm being a bit cynical at the moment. I'll have a cool drink after I get home before posting again. Many excuses.
    Last edited by Squiz; 29-07-2013 at 03:20 PM.

It's a fair cop, but in fact lots of them aren't cutscenes -- that's one of the reasons why it succeeds in showing off GW2's graphical muscles. At worst many of the shots are from camera angles that one can't access from one's character. But there's very little pre-rendered that I noticed -- it almost all seems to be in-engine. So by the standards of some game trailers, it seems a bit far-fetched to say that it's advertising a false product.

Cool drink or not, I need to comment now. The thing is that it doesn't really matter if it is in-engine or not. I agree that the game itself looks good, but those scenes are definitely not taken from the game itself. You see many more animations and details than are present in the game: Eir stroking the wolf's head, Rytlock climbing the tank, tanks rolling down the ramps in the Black Citadel, the player characters directly engaging with Zhaitan, some kind of assault of Undead troops while a Pactcopter (whatever they are called) crashes from the sky, the main player character looking around in D. Reach, an much more busy Rata Sum market square, the list goes on. The duels between various characters appear to be over-dramatised sequences that could take place in the game. The general feeling the trailer evokes however is that the game is much more alive and engaging than it is in reality.

I am laughing my ass off at the trailer, need I say more?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    But honestly, it's better release trailer, than what we had/
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tweetiti's Avatar
    the fractal bit is so unfair to see, when do we ever see this angle?
    Tweetiti but also (ex Knickers) Burlesque Galore, Melons of Steel and Liltweetie

Hey guys.

So I just had the realization that I had but a week to get my first assignment in. I was kinda hoping that I would have already had it in by now. But err guess life happens or something like that.

Anywho I'll be taking roughly a two week break from GW and everything that isn't studying my ass off. (Kinda a shame I really liked how this month's content was going, but there are things that are a bit more important to get done)

Anywho hoping someone will keep the Thursday night raiders going. *eyes Fersu, Aliss, Saph, and Yargh and yes Yargh you have lead people off a cliff you are perfectly qualified*

Anywho see you guys soon, and don't have too much fun without me

-Jar

Hey Karuji, best of luck for your ongoing studies! Stuff like that is indeed a tad more important than gaming, although you will be dearly missed around here.

Hope to see you again real soon!

Queen's Jubilee, which is the next "content" patch coming up, will hit the servers on Aug. 6th. A few details on the content could already be gathered from the press invites:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...6th_first_few/

Apparently, the secret tugged away under the tent in D. Reach will be the new "Crown Pavilion" (that's a new boss monster, for sure!), and I would bet my left Windows button that the announced convenience area has something to do with it.

That's the GW2 news for the day, move along.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Good luck with your assignment, Jarnade. Rest assured that there will be plenty of lemming like charges off cliffs in your absence.
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Obscure Node
    Ditto, Jarnade!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tweetiti's Avatar
    Lol poor Yargh is going to faint
    Tweetiti but also (ex Knickers) Burlesque Galore, Melons of Steel and Liltweetie

It's Queen's Jubilee next week, as many suspected: http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/r...ugust-6th.html

Expect more details later today, I reckon. There are murmurs that we might get LFG (or some other major quality of life update) this time.

Jarnade, good luck with your studies. As I said before, I'm happy to lead as a last resort

Good luck with yer assignments Jar, we'll keep the lemming commander's seat warm for ya! No pressure Yargh!
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Well it standart story of a student, good luck aceing it :P
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!