Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    In PvE I have been using Longbow :-

1v1 Lay traps, 3 for weakness, start backing off, 2 for flurry of shots, they will hit the traps (burning and cripple), 4 to push them back, 5 to rain arrows and cripple again, 1 to finish off.

Vs groups put the rain of arrows sooner then kite in circles - or switch to great sword which is practically a AeO with the basic swings.

I definitely the traps the most useful - though only the burning and cripple ones. I use the condition removal as my third utility since getting rooted leads to a swift death.

----

PvE is definitely a million times easier with a bear (or two ) since the cats I was using before got 1 shotted by any melee enemies a few levels above mine. The bears seem to be able to tank anything 3 or 4 levels higher for long enough. Especially if you switch pets when one get low.

The polar bear is trivial to get (won't give spoilers) so I would recommend to all for PvE.

---

Recently I have switched to Shortbow and Axe and Torch based on conditions - more for a change than because its more effective. I was underwhelmed by Axe main hand at first but then I realised it hits 3 targets at once so its actually not that bad. Torch has good synergy with axe main hand 2 (burning field + projectile finisher), and the area burning also works pretty well with traps.

---

Sword, meh. He prances and dances but he doesn't do a lot. Probably just need to practice though! Maybe better in PvP.

---

Horn I like since it gives a speed buff. Duration is pretty limited though. I tend to pick this up for WvW. The summon birds seems to do next to no damage though with a pretty long cool down.

Dagger - not really used it to be honest.

Just found out the GW2 RPS forums
    Currently i have a longbow/shortbow swap, which seems to work nicely for me (but then again, i'm only lvl 26 atm).
    I do have a question, a very basic one, but i fail to find a good answer to this:
    Should i go for Power, precision or is a combination between the 2 the best? It is not very obvious to me, though on 1st sight power seems better. The same for the traits, i have a hard time choosing between the 1st (bonus to power and +condition damage) and 2nd (bonus toprecision + crit chance). The condition damage is nice to have with the shortbow, but the +crit chance seems better in general. Any help would be appreciated!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I'm level 72, still using long/shortbow.

I'm as selfish as they come (three signets!) and it works great. What really makes the build is the Piercing Arrows: What that means is that all arrows go their full travel length, so like column shot in AoC, they just run through mobs of enemies, cutting a line through them. In other words, all my shots are AoE.

You don't know how it feels until you knock back 3+ enemies with a single Point Blank Shot, then unleash a Barrage and a Rapid Fire that hurts them all.

And since I have four different types of regeneration, just about any pet I put up front does perfectly fine. Hell, I've been dabbling with Summon Fern Mastiff to have two fern hounds running around with me, knocking things down and eating them.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Woah, you are hells of selfish. I am running three signets but at least I am using the healing spring rather than the "screw everyone else" troll unguent.
    I'm also experimenting with using a pink moa, since a) Pink. Moa. and b) it's got an aoe heal ability that will occasionally proc, which should allow me to give a bit of extra heals to the party without having to remember to press F2 for the fern hound's command heal.

I really like the lynx model, and it does a very satisfying amount of damage, but as soon as a fight gets interesting I go back to wishing I was running double bear and could basically tank forever. Bear/Giant Flamingo should work nearly as well and allow me to do a wee bit more damage. Plus, Pink. Moa.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    Woah, you are hells of selfish.

10characters
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Obscure Node
    I ding'd level 80 on ranger a few days ago. Getting my arse kicked in the final story mode thingy. Advice welcome!

From what I can tell, the "level 80" guys in the final story quest (victory or death) are actually level 140-ish for some of them (seems pretty random which, some go down easy, others literally take 10 minutes to kite ONE of them while my little group does damage).

Anyone done this story quest got any pointers? I wasted maybe 50 silver on trying to do it (you have to repair your armour enough times they give you an armour repair place within the quest itself).

Another thing, they give you a revive orb just before this quest. Think they were taking the piss with that?
    Last edited by zoombapup; 27-09-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zoombapup View Post
    I ding'd level 80 on ranger a few days ago. Getting my arse kicked in the final story mode thingy. Advice welcome!

From what I can tell, the "level 80" guys in the final story quest (victory or death) are actually level 140-ish for some of them (seems pretty random which, some go down easy, others literally take 10 minutes to kite ONE of them while my little group does damage).

Anyone done this story quest got any pointers? I wasted maybe 50 silver on trying to do it (you have to repair your armour enough times they give you an armour repair place within the quest itself).

Another thing, they give you a revive orb just before this quest. Think they were taking the piss with that?
    What kind of a bloody muppet can't do the last quest. LOL ITS A GROUP QUEST U NOOB!!!!1111!!ONE!!1

Obscure Node
    NOOB indeed duffin old chap. Yeah, for some reason I didn't see the "requires 5 people" bit at the door when I went in the instance

Man that quest is loooooong. I was nackered at the end. Can't say it dropped anything brilliant either. But at least its done now. I can retire to my knitting and crochet. Now somebody fetch me a cup of cocoa and read me a story

So does that mean you'll do some pvp now? :P

Network Hub
    I often used Swoop in my journey. Dagger and axe are perfect as well.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    So does that mean you'll do some pvp now? :P
    Of course honey plums. I'll do pvp anytime. Just need to figure out a build. Still watching instruction vids for that kind of thing. Try it tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by zoombapup View Post
    Of course honey plums. ... Try it tonight?
    And in the game!!

Hahahaha!

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    And in the game!!

Hahahaha!
    Oh you wag!

I still don't know what I'm doing in PVP, so if anyone wants to see truly horrible play, join us tonight!

Obscure Node
    Holy carp. I just saw in a video that your pet can res you if you're downed! I didn't know that! I just spammed the keys that weren't on cooldown when downed. no wonder I revived so much. You live and learn.

Network Hub
    Yeah... I can agree more. Same as me before. Just keep on playing.

Believing that the leaked patch notes will be entirely accurate, I came up with this ranger build yesterday:
    Klick me!
    I've been wanting to do a condition ranger for a while, I don't really think it's going to be nearly as strong as the beastmaster bunker I currently run, but I hope it's going to be fun as well! It's certainly the most AoE a Ranger can bring to a WvW zerg.
    Basically, I put as much into Condition Damage and Toughness (because of the runes of the Undead) as possible, while trying not to neglect Vitality and Healing Power too much. The Power and Precision stats are mostly side effects. This build is meant to be played mainly with Axe and Torch (which can probably be replaced with an offhand weapon of choice). There is very little survivability; in theory, I would rely on the sigils, as well as the sword evades, to survive: The axe is good for tagging enemies, so you should get some healing out of the sigil, while the weapon swap fury is useful to fire off the on-crit condition removal.
    Entangle is the elite of choice because it ruins people's days. It's possible to switch the -50% falling damage trait for the reduced cooldown on Survival skills, making Entangle more readily available. Also, you could probably switch one of the traps for Lightning Reflexes to add some survivability then, with the reduced CD and all.
    The sword/axe set is for the (as of yet unconfirmed) pull on Axe 4, which makes most sense together with sword and it's single-target damage. Also, as stated above, sword is really useful with its multiple evades.
    Healing Spring could be replaced by basically any other healing skill, I put it in because it has the most utility and you can heal siege with it, which is always good.
    Pets are Wolf for the fear and Moa for the Fury, because they won't deal much damage due to the absence of beastmastery traits. Drakes could also be useful, but I'm not sure whether my own condition damage counts for the pet or not.
    I went for +condition duration food, as I think it makes more sense there than the measly +10% on a weapon, as well as for +condition damage nourishment.

I'll probably run this inefficient but fun trapper as soon as I have run Sorrow's Embrace some more to get the silly helmet!
    Last edited by Labbes; 22-06-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    GW2: Urraca Aldor

I'll be interested to see how that works, I'm not really sold on condition builds for rangers.

adding the pull to the offhand axe means that I could use greatsword - axe/axe for an alternative weapon set, but as I run longbow most of the time I don't want people getting close to me.
    the improvements to the longbow are welcome but didn't get the only improvement I wanted, which was an improved cast time for Point Blank Shot - it's currently pretty useless in any form of PvP.

I also would have like them to add blind to the number 4 skill on warhorn which they haven't done either.

The spotter trait now looks pretty enticing if you're running in a group (especially with AH Guardians), while the new grandmaster trait would be pretty good for regen rangers.

the pet's damage nerf doesn't bother me too much, as I don't spec for pet damage; but I can see some people being a bit peeved; they didn't really need nerfing in my opinion.

the other thing they should have done and didn't is to change Signet of the wild and move it to the healing skills, then a new signet to boost crit damage and you could build a really good signet ranger, since at the moment all the signets are defensive.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Anthrax Lake | Fuschia Panthera

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    I'm helping you with your stat spreads a bit: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMEQRAs...AzhQEVLEwi1A-w

Also I have to say this, for a condition build you don't have a lot of conditions (you don't get that many bleed stacks outside of the elite). Maybe think about adding spike trap, and how about that reef drake?
    Last edited by Malawi Frontier Guard; 23-06-2013 at 01:56 AM.

Network Hub
    The long sword has a rather satisfying leap into combat like a friggin' hawk + the claw like a huge friggin' bear! The animations with both of these animals actually appearing is nice. So I tend to use it quite a lot. But the axe in the offhand? Why didn't I ever think of that? Sounds very cool.
    Easy (nCore) likes Braaaains
    Find me on Steam

So, after a bit of sPvP testing, I changed my build a little to this: Klick me!
    I switched out the Frost Trap for the Spike Trap because while chilling is nice, it doesn't kill people as fast as bleed does (I'm thinking about switching the poison one for the frost one though, as chilling is simply insanely useful with its combo field)
    The "keen edge" Marksmanship trait will be changed to trigger on opponents with low HP, so there's some more bleeding. The second Marksmanship trait I'm not so sure about, I might take Spotter to give +150 precision to allies, since there already is lots of cripple/chill in this build.
    I'm not entirely sure about the Wilderness Survival traits, as there's 4 useful ones and I can only pick two. I don't think taking regeneration without buffing regeneration is worth it, offense is the best defense!
    You might ask, is it effective? To be quite frank, it is not. In a 1v1 situation, I don't think I have won against a competent build. I have won against crappy players however, so that's at least something.
    It is fun though. Very, very much so. With the shitton of AoE conditions you can throw out, you might go down first in a 3v3 situation, but you get rallied most of the time because people die before you do. A lot. Also they are often so low on health that they can't afford to stomp.
    You can Entangle people just outside of a point to cap it while they can only watch.
    Burning has a more than 100% uptime, the Flame trap itself accounting for 50% if the enemy does not move out of it.
    Also, there's a lot more micromanaging involved than with my BM bunker, I mostly forgot about the utility on the sword/axe set, so maybe this is more effective than I think.

I'm helping you with your stat spreads a bit: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMEQRAs...AzhQEVLEwi1A-w
    I thought about something like that, simply due to the fact that a one-trick condition pony can be hardcountered by a Guardian. With stats like that, I'd have much more evenly distributed damage between weapons and conditions.
    The problem is that focusing on toughness/condition damage provides the needed survivability. By taking three traps, you sacrifice a lot of the awesome skills that make life as a ranger easier. I don't feel confident enough to go glass cannon without lightning reflexes

Also I have to say this, for a condition build you don't have a lot of conditions (you don't get that many bleed stacks outside of the elite). Maybe think about adding spike trap, and how about that reef drake?
    Thanks, that is completely true. Unfortunately, pet condition damage doesn't scale with your own, so I focused on utility pets where pet stats don't matter. I might substitute the wolf for a reef drake though, depending on how useful fear will prove in a WvW environment.

Edit: As an added bonus, this build annoys the hell out of thieves. It doesn't kill them, of course, but at least they don't get to kill you easily either.
    Last edited by Labbes; 24-06-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    GW2: Urraca Aldor