Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Is the trap build purely for PvP, or do people run it in PvE too? It's been useful for leveling, but I don't know whether to continue using it on my ranger once he reaches 80.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

If you're the only condition-based player in a dungeon group, this could probably work if you switch one of the traps for a stunbreaker of your choice and maybe Entangle for Rampage as One (haven't used Entangle in dungeons, not sure how effective this is).
    In open world PvE, I'd switch the pets to two drakes of your choice, because drakes are awesome.
    GW2: Urraca Aldor

Network Hub
    I decided to change my build to be more of a support class, since I think my DPS isn't that big anyway. So I'll use more spirits soon as I think there are quite a lot of benefits to bringing conditions to the party damage output and they were kind of buffed by the last patch. Might even swith my shortbow/longbow weapon combo to one melee weapon/longbow because you need to put the spirits near the enemies if you have a lot of melee classes in your party. Will see how it will work out.

I wish ANet would implement something like 2-builds-button where you could switch between two premade builds when out of combat.
    GW2: Eknurr (Lvl 80 Engi), Elaina Mischievous (Lvl 80 Ranger), Neeaha (Lvl 80 Mesmer), Bald Carl (Lvl 80 Guardian)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Agreed, the trait/build UI is a big step back from GW1. Having to completely retrait every time you want to tweak a build is awful. You have to use the wiki or pvp to tweak builds as you can't even look at trait descriptions until you've assigned the points, and if you click 6 times rather than 5 you need to start over. Awful design, and all for a very minor gold sink.
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
    ... as you can't even look at trait descriptions until you've assigned the points, and if you click 6 times rather than 5 you need to start over...
    I think you acutally can look at trait descriptions, even without putting points into a given trait line. I absolutely agree however that this is awful design and pretty unnecessary after all of this had already been implemented in GW1.

You don't need to click 5 times. Just click on the minor/major trait you want to select and it'll ask you if you want to put in 5/10/15 etc points in the tree so that it becomes active.
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Trying to main Ranger, however, unlike thief, I don't have my build set out for me, my thief build was made in BWE#1 days and was fun ever after, now it's buffed, but for now ranger somehow is fun too.

Do like GS a lot, what kind of build could I find to make it more focused on it?
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Here are some more post-patch builds.

After playing lots of WvW with the trapper build, I arrived at something like this. I switched out the sword/axe for GS because I am not l33t enough to handle the sword properly and because GS is a fantastic weapon. This build is actually far better than I initially thought. While you may need to switch one of the traps (most likely poison trap, but flame trap is not as strong due to the insane burn uptime either) for something like Lightning Reflexes or the Condi Signet, this clears camps insanely fast and is really, really strong in small-scale fights.
    It's a bit pants in a zerg though, as the range you can "throw" the traps isn't very high. Good when the enemy runs towards you, but not so good for running the pain train.

So for zerg-specific purposes, I made a shout ranger a week ago or so that looks a bit like this. Using "Guard" and +boon duration stuff (Omnomberry something with +boon duration), you have a 100% regen and swiftness uptime. Thanks to "spotter", you bring a bit of added oomph to the zerg. Thanks to all your other stuff, you don't die easily but still deal some damage. Note that I am not running one, but two bears. This has not been tested extensively, but weakness and chill can be really good in huge fights, also the bears never die so they can actually take conditions from you with the signet when you need them to. It's a bit annoying to cast Guard all the time, but it works pretty well overall. While I made this with a zerg in mind, it also works in small-ish scale fights. It's not as good as the above trapper build, but you obviously can't change your build on the fly, and it kind of works.
    Also note that the Vampirism runes can be exchanged for basically anything you want to; Healing Power isn't as high as I would like it to be, but I'm quite partial to turning into a mist and not into a corpse. The runes have saved my arse a lot in the past.

Yesterday evening I didn't want to study, and theorycrafted the ultimate ranger zerg pain train. Yes. The Ultimate Ranger Zerg Pain Train. This will only ever work in a zerg. This build requires you to dish out as much damage as you can in order to survive. Have I got your attention? Very well. Here it is. Note that GS as well as the bear stay from the previous build.
    This build relies on Opening Strike to provide the critical strikes, since Precision is very low. Here are all the things you gain by killing someone with this build:
    - Health (Sigil of Restoration)
    - Opening Strike (because of the GM trait)
    - Meaning another crit for your Maul!
    Thanks to Cavalier's gear, your crit damage is really, really high, while not sacrificing much survivability. Since I haven't tested it yet, I have put a lot of survivability into this, with condi removal, Lightning Reflexes, Runes of Vampirism (the reason for taking the heal with the lowest cooldown, since the runes benefit massively from it), -stun duration food and bears with debuffs (Muddy terrain works offensively and defensively, as you really need to land your mauls). I am not sure if this is actually needed, depending on well this works, you might switch out food for +crit damage or effect X on kill. Pets could be drakes, Runes of Infiltration make your damage go even higher etc.
    Also, you can sit in the back with Axes and have an added +10% crit damage. Which is awesome. Unfortunately, this build does not have the -falling damage trait, which is a bit sad, but oh well.
    Last edited by Labbes; 15-07-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    Interesting, your Ultimate Ranger is very nearly my build but the Cavalier trinkets seem a bit pointless with only 14% crit chance.

If I was going to mod my build for WvW I would head towards a regen ranger something like this:
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNBj...jqZhadNm+NRA-w

Ideally the armour would be Power, Precision, Healing; but that doesn't exist... also sigils on ranged weapon for more damage and stealing health when they get close.
    And yes, I work well in a zerg but not so well in small scale stuff.

EDIT:
    Actually, the new celestial armour gives you the chance to boost survivability a bit without compromising too much on the precision
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMMQNBj...O16aMtbi0vAA-w

you could of course use the runes of Vampirism for the escape and crit chance would still be 42%.
    Last edited by hawksbane; 15-07-2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: forgot to change the traits
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

I just stole this from the Ele thread in order to make it look less like Squirrel is spamming, but here are the Ranger episodes from 'Sitting on a couch'.

http://sittingonacouch.com/page/1/?s=Arrow+to+the+knee

Haven't watched them yet, so this is a much for my benefit as anyone elses.

Spoiler: They are great! Lots of hints and tips. Nearly every episode there is something I didn't know or think of using, especially the Ranger with his huge amount of pets has access to excellent combo possibilities. They also do cover Rangers in PvE and are currently running a special on Fractals, so that might be interesting for some.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Any text version? I usually read stuff while at work, listening to it is rare luxury.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

At the moment I am not aware of the existence of any transcripts, sorry Bankrotas. :/ Most of the episodes last ~60 minutes, so transcripting them would be too much work I suppose. However, if I stumble across any interesting forum threads mentioned in the casts, I'll link the here.

so apparently high zerker Rangers are usefull in high level fractals, so there is hope for me yet

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...fractal_guide/

Quote Originally Posted by hawksbane View Post
    Interesting, your Ultimate Ranger is very nearly my build but the Cavalier trinkets seem a bit pointless with only 14% crit chance.

If I was going to mod my build for WvW I would head towards a regen ranger something like this:
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNBj...jqZhadNm+NRA-w

Ideally the armour would be Power, Precision, Healing; but that doesn't exist... also sigils on ranged weapon for more damage and stealing health when they get close.
    And yes, I work well in a zerg but not so well in small scale stuff.

EDIT:
    Actually, the new celestial armour gives you the chance to boost survivability a bit without compromising too much on the precision
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMMQNBj...O16aMtbi0vAA-w

you could of course use the runes of Vampirism for the escape and crit chance would still be 42%.
    That is eerily similar, great minds think alike I guess? You are of course completely correct that the build is utterly useless, that's what I get for theorycrafting at 3AM. I rethought the very low precision and arrived at this, but I'm not sure the survivability is enough and I'm not going to invest into those trinkets just to test a build that's probably too squishy.
    In the first build you posted, would you use Entangle as a getaway tool? I haven't used Entangle in a non-condition build, not sure how well it does when compared to RaO, especially considering your build would stay at range. Also, I don't think Sigil of Intelligence is as good as it sounds, even with a crit chance of ~30%, but it gets worse the higher your crit chance becomes.

The posted ranger podcasts are really really good and have made me experiment a lot with pets. Pigs still haven't worked out really well for me, but Pumba is going to accompany me for a while.

Don't forget that you'll rarely be running alone, even in WvW, and that often the party can provide you with Fury and/or Banner of Discipline (170 Precision, 15% Crit damage), which will help your crit rate quite a bit.

I tend to use RaO for escaping, Entangle is also really usefull but I see it as more offensive (somewhat ironically).
    I wouldn't go near Sigil of Intelligence; so I'm not sure how it ended up on that axe - maybe I was over thinking somewhat.

I've also started changing my pets around, although I hate the fact that I have to keep renaming them; it is such a simple change for Anet to make.

I would stick with your original traits and go for something like this since I doubt you will be able to go more that 100% crit damage:
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fMAQNBh...2bUEtahAGNGA-w

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    My ranger hit 80 today (eighth and final class! woo!). Like the look of that build for for PvE/WvW stuff -- will give it a look.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Dammit, you beat me to it! My poor Mesmer is still sitting at level 71 because I cannot be bothered to shop for the Tailoring profession. Soon...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Gz Saph. I hadn't realised anyone else was crazy enough to level all 8 classes.
    Now I realise you, me and squirrel are all barking.
    Will be a while till my final 3 get there, and my ranger will be last of all I think as he's only 20 or so now.
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet