Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    I decided to go for a Axe/Axe Axe/Warhorn build in WvW because axes are cool. I might switch out one of the two for GS or sometimes LB, but I love offhand training too much to take a 2-handed weapon.
    GW2: Urraca Aldor

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    since they added a pull to the offhand axe it has become a great offhand option, but I currently prefer sword for the main hand for the extra damage and the evades (I am pretty squishy), not being able to interupt the chain on skill 1 is irritating though.
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera

As per Malawi's Useful-Class-Quirks-and-Glitches thread, you actually can interrupt the sword chain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUwHpIxY52U

but I shouldn't need to. and sometimes there isn't time to hit another skill and then dodge.

A week ago or so I came up with this build that could be quite fun, but I haven't really tested it yet. The runes are quite cheap, and I wanted to try a human elite skill because always using Rampage as One gets old after a while. I intended it for WvW group fights, I actually have no idea how well this would do when roaming, might work if you switch the pets for snow wolf/snow owl.
    I would guess that it relies too much on the elite, but as I said it hasn't been tested yet due to lack of a reliable and fast internet connection
    http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fMEQ...CoOXUtHvIa1A-w
    GW2: Urraca Aldor

still not much of interest for Rangers

faster arrows...

well, free and immediate trait refunds so RIP bear/bow Rangers.

Poison Master is pretty good though, at least in PvP and WvW. And yes, condis are ok in WvW, despite a multitude of cleanses, especially since poison can be reapplied almost instantly, all of the time.

Also, Read the Wind is perfect for sniping players running in zergs. Think of zerker eles.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    I'd rather you didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    Poison Master is pretty good though, at least in PvP and WvW. And yes, condis are ok in WvW, despite a multitude of cleanses, especially since poison can be reapplied almost instantly, all of the time.

Also, Read the Wind is perfect for sniping players running in zergs. Think of zerker eles.
    a Norn with a shortbow just looks ridiculous though. Still I play a condi ranger in PvP so maybe i'll start doing that in WvW too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    I'd rather you didn't.
    I think we can all hear you say this pretty much every post on here for the next few days bar your own obv
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    I'd rather you didn't.
    The reason for this being?

Think of zerker eles I meant.

Read the Wind will be very useful in WvW but is pretty useless in PvE since it doesn't decrease your cooldown and PvE mobs are too stupid to dodge arrows anyway. I think they really need to move piercing arrows to Adept.

Network Hub

Soooo Rangers?

Hi hi,

So way back when the game launched I mained a Ranger and got it to max level, loved the game on the leveling and everything but end game with friends I felt like I was being carried hard because Rangers were just so underwhelming, the general concensus was that Rangers were no good in almost all situations and that any other class brought more to the table. I restarted on some alts but lost interest and left the game for "a bit".

I'm coming back to play with some other friends now and I was wondering... did they ever fix Rangers to a usable state?

there was never anything wrong with Rangers, it's just that most people don't know how to play them/with them.

they actually have one of the highest single target DPS in the game.

actually I should clarify that a bit, the traditional Bear/bow ranger who spams knockback gave us a bad name.

Longbow has been slightly improved, but still needs some work. Pet AI has been improved but also still needs some work - and they do 1/3 of our damage so on 1 shot bosses they can be a hindrance.

Have to agree with Hawks, the major issue with Rangers being perceived as weak/bad is that players expect to stand around in max LB range autoattacking/barraging enemies while their "tanky" pet keeps enemies away, never using their F2 ability.

For WvW, Sword/Dagger - Axe/Torch builds work pretty well (not in zergs I think but for roaming it's fantastic), in PvP Spirit Rangers should still be a thing, for PvE, you've got decent party support as well as Sword for good DPS (not up to date on the current meta builds, maybe Hawks or Malawi can comment on that).

Edit: Would people be ok if I merged this thread with the existing Ranger thread?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    you've got decent party support
    Permaaoefury khem khem.

OT. even as more casual GW2 player, ranger is pretty good at knocking down enemies and keeping himself up. Melee ranger is so much fun...
    Last edited by Bankrotas; 02-07-2014 at 11:34 AM.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

and dead rangers are OP

for PvE
    traditional meta is 30/25/0/15/0
    there is another build that does slightly more damage but the difference is marginal, and this build is better for using FSG.

Ranger DPS is actually pretty low, but Spotter and Frost Spirit are powerful team buffs which pulls them out again.