Anyone playing Dust 514?

I know it's a PS3 console toy game, but they recently debuted some of the EVE interconnectivity, so I figured at least some EVE players might check it out.

I'm in the beta now, but I haven't played EVE, so I was wondering if any of you lot have tried it out. If so, how was it? Is it anything like as advertised, with EVE corps hiring mercs to take planets or somesuch, or is everyone still playing in bubbles?

Banned
    Well it's still in beta, right? So obviously it's not yet connected to the "real" EVE, at least not for the general populace.

Besides, the new Destroyers(which will get bonuses to planetary bombardments) aren't in EVE yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Well it's still in beta, right? So obviously it's not yet connected to the "real" EVE, at least not for the general populace.

Besides, the new Destroyers(which will get bonuses to planetary bombardments) aren't in EVE yet.
    True enough, though the latest update now includes cross-game chat and is encouraging EVE players to start sending feelers out to recruit Dust players, to eventually build some kind of planetary presence for whenever the game goes live.

In such case, has anyone playing EVE started that process? The game clearly intends for an ideal model of having EVE corps "call the shots" for Dust mercenaries, but of course all this will hinge on having the EVE corps actually interested in doing so.

Right now there's not a huge amount of infrastructure to support that. Dust players are assigned to prebuilt corps and CCP arranges "corp vs corp" events as a way of simulating the more organic clashes that happen in EVE proper.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I signed up for the beta but never heard anything. Don't want to pay for access, especially while I'm busy with Planetside 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    I signed up for the beta but never heard anything. Don't want to pay for access, especially while I'm busy with Planetside 2.
    I believe active EVE players and PS Plus members get access automatically with the latest update.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    I really don't understand why there ins't a PC version of this. EVE is a PC exclusive and most of the fans are pure PC gamers. It just doesn't make sense to release Dust 514 only on PS3 where most people never heard of EVE.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroKnight View Post
    I really don't understand why there ins't a PC version of this. EVE is a PC exclusive and most of the fans are pure PC gamers. It just doesn't make sense to release Dust 514 only on PS3 where most people never heard of EVE.
    The most pertinent answer is that Sony wanted an exclusive game and CCP wanted a console presence. Since base EVE is thoroughly incompatible with most console styles of play (and most console players), a middle ground had to be found, which is ground-based play.

The happy coincidence is that ground-based play expands the EVE repertoire beyond ships and spreadsheets (undeserved as the reputation may be). For some reason console players (or publishers catering to console players) are allergic to games set exclusively in space, so there we go.

And yes, I'd love to have a PC version of the game, and in fact I do predict that if Dust 514 doesn't quite take off (playing the beta these feelings are reinforced :( ), CCP may be persuaded to go PC and allow EVE players to occasionally take a break from the ships and get to the shooting.

Activated Node
    I haven't played EVE either but I had a quick hour or so on this.

It felt like a weird old game. Fairly hefty learning curve, no tutorial, odd control mapping. Nice enough but bland looking map. Having said that, the map felt too big, there was quite a lot of trudging across the map only to immediately die in a fire fight or get picked off by a sniper way off in the distance.

On the plus side, once I was actually with a few other people and in a proper fight, it felt quite good. In addition the extensive RPG element to the customisation looks interesting but again, little explanation of what's going on.

I think I'll need to play it for a little while to decide if it's worth investing the time.

Activated Node
    How I generally feel about console-exclusive deals: they get only one finger out of me.

I'm not interested in Dust if it's not on the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
    I believe active EVE players and PS Plus members get access automatically with the latest update.
    I'm neither of those right now.

I put my key in a few weeks ago, but every time I get a chance to play the server is down.

Due to my 3 EvE accounts I got spare keys. Help yourself.

4UGN2-6WBHQ-VNHUH-K8E5D-88LYE-NNWBC-VJ006

4UGNN-FXCGA-JK69F-N7BSL-DYGPQ-MJZKP-BP006

Please tell me once you redeemed one of these.

Here's another code if anyone wants in:

CHPMH-D3RFH-EKPZ2-H9T8M-Q4JF5-T7TTR-FM006

Quote Originally Posted by unangbangkay View Post
    Here's another code if anyone wants in:

CHPMH-D3RFH-EKPZ2-H9T8M-Q4JF5-T7TTR-FM006
    Used this key, thanks.

In the interests of furthering discussion, let's extend to EVE players as well. Do any of you plan to hire console players to o take planets for you and such. Are what CCP has shown regarding the updates to EVE that involve the capturing and exploitation of planetary resources compelling enough for you to start making connections across platforms and game genres?

Banned
    All this really means for me personally is that PI is now out of my reach because as soon as I start some jackoffs will attack and destroy/capture my buildings.

Well, never was a fan anyway.