Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Mesmer class thread

We've got a few of these popping up for other classes so I thought I'd do the honours with a general mesmer discussion topic.

I've not been able to play much since release so my mesmer is only about level 10 at the moment. I've unlocked all the weapon skills though and am quite enjoying the variety of styles available. The staff and greatsword seem ideal for dealing out damage, although the sword/pistol combo is a lot of fun. I did manage to fall through the world using the sword's leap/replace skill, and spent an entertaining few minutes swimming round the infinite ocean which apparently sits underneath Queensdale...

How is everyone else finding the mesmer so far? Do you have any levelling tips?

I didn't go Mesmer (my favourite GW1 profession) because people in the BWEs were complaining about it not working right quite a bit. How are you finding it?

I've been playing mostly using scepter/pistol and either greatsword or sword/torch. Greatsword is great when you can keep at 900+ range, but thats often not possible. For sPvP its always sword/torch for an added invisibility. I find having around 3 invisibility skills and a blink means you can almost always escape in WvWvW/PvP, any less and its uncertain

The main downside of the sword is it seems to have one of the only skills in the game you can't move while using. Also the leap skill has a range of about 6 inches and I waste it 75% of the time.

Anyone using any mantras? They don't seem worth it at all so far. The numbers aren't great especially with how long they take to prepare, and the cooldown only starts after the last charge is used.

I'm up to level 51 now, my preference has very strongly been towards Staff and Longsword/Focus. I may swap out Longsword for Sceptor soon though, as although longsword used to be our best weapon in beta it's damage seems to have been nerfed a bit. Once I add the sceptor trait and confusion +33% trait sceptor should be more effective in pve. I use focus in the offhand as it cuts down on running time, is nice for kiting (and reflects when traited) and also the phantasm is pretty decent.

Generally I find mesmer is squishy and not always effective in a direct damage build, but if I kite while using all skills and keeping 3 phantasms up I can bring anything down without being in danger.

To that effect I also use Phantasm Defender and Signet of Illusions in slot skills. I also use a racial skill and racial elite (golem on my Asura) as they are very strong for pve.

After a bit more play I'm with you on the sword skills being a bit underwhelming. Flurry (2) pins you in place and can whiff, the leap (3) has a miserable range and sometimes fires without working - and glitched me through the landscape once as mentioned above.

I'm also a bit disappointed with the first trait I unlocked which was the blink one. The range on that is small too and, bizarrely, it stops you moving for a second when you use it, making it fairly rubbish as an escape tool. You blink away, and by the time you can resume running, the enemy has covered half the distance to your new location anyway.

I don't know, I'm hoping the mesmer opens up a little bit better for me soon. I'm half tempted to re-roll something else but it's probably way too early to be so pessimistic about the class

Quote Originally Posted by Beard Of Bees View Post
    After a bit more play I'm with you on the sword skills being a bit underwhelming. Flurry (2) pins you in place and can whiff, the leap (3) has a miserable range and sometimes fires without working - and glitched me through the landscape once as mentioned above.

I'm also a bit disappointed with the first trait I unlocked which was the blink one. The range on that is small too and, bizarrely, it stops you moving for a second when you use it, making it fairly rubbish as an escape tool. You blink away, and by the time you can resume running, the enemy has covered half the distance to your new location anyway.

I don't know, I'm hoping the mesmer opens up a little bit better for me soon. I'm half tempted to re-roll something else but it's probably way too early to be so pessimistic about the class
    what o_0

well most people probably have issues uniting their playstyle with the profession they took(due to archetypes making people believe they should roll certain professions because "theyre used to playing a bowman so they roll ranger", while to use a profession properly you play it with the playstyle it needs in sync with the role and build

mesmer is THE counter char, mesmers that think they are a dps in the same category as a ranger/engineer/thief/necro, are clueless/specced so wrong they lost everything which is imba about a mesmer

a mesmer will do dps/burst/whatever when he gets focused and throws those things back, trying to make some dps/burst build with a mesmer that doesn't rely on the counters is just a big fail, l2p a ranger/engineer/ele instead

i have yet to lose a tournament with the mesmer, its game presence > *.*

the ability to remove every single boon with 1 cd, the ability to shut down a player completely with moa/kill a player at 30% by using moa, the ability to teleport(!) instantly from one base point to another, allowing allies to use those portals to do the same = no other class is able to have such a high uptime of team pressure/support

and then we havent even talked about the insane survivability a mesmer has, porting all over the place, swapping places with your summons, going invisible, making yourself invulnerable, etc etc

ive often had the weaponbug in tournaments where i cudnt swap wep until i died

i never got to use my other weaponset because i didnt die...

staff alone got me to win 1v1 vs thieves guild thief and many other supposed "hard 1v1s"..

there is no other char better than the mesmer to be alone somewhere "chilling", being able to defend that position AND leave his position with a portal as a backup to instantly go back to the point he is defending = priceless

roamers or anyone else will lose so much uptime by fapping in between points running from one to another
    a mesmer does not know this issue

seriously in spvp there has yet to be something better than a skilled mesmer, it can counter everything.

risk/reward is the name of the game, along with roles

the role the mesmer fills has the lowest risk for the highest reward

simply the most imba prof currently in the game for sPvP

but the community at large still needs a wake up call this isnt a TDM game where its all about MOAR DMG
    this is a point capture game where the name of the game is control and uptime

the more dps you think you do, the less you actually do due to giving up control/survival
    and the more dps you think you do, the more dps a mesmer will do against you.

I played mesmer almost exclusively in GW1, it's very different this time around but still quite interesting. I'm currently level 20 and have done some sPvP as well.

As a general note I've found it incredibly important to maintain at least one illusion at all times, both for constant damage, decoy purposes and to have access to the various shatter effects. Mind wrack isn't that amazing damage-wise, but being able to confuse and daze key enemies and gain distortion when an enemy is signalling a big attack is very valuable. Now if you only could shatter illusions one at a time, instead of all at once...

Weapon-wise most of the time I go with longsword+torch and greatsword. Weapon swapping is really important, otherwise you're playing with a limited skillset. I user either Ether Feast or Healing Seed (Sylvari racial) as heal depending on whether I'm soloing or doing events or PvPing, with Blink and Decoy as my staple utility skills.

My playstyle is very mobile and hit and run-oriented, both in PvE and PvP, and mesmer seems to suit it well. In PvE I often gather a bunch of enemies on me, start beating them up all at the same time with longsword's Blurred Frenzy and swapping to greatsword for Mirror Blade, Mind Stab and Phantasmal Berserker, and then either Blink or Prestige myself out of the group or throw them away with Illusionary Wave, Blink out of range and continue once my skills have recharged. Here's some more thoughts on the specific skills:

Longsword+torch:
    Blurred Frenzy may not be the most amazing damage dealer, but it is decent and the trick is in distortion it grants. With good timing you can negate your enemy's main attack with this, while dealing damage yourself. This skill also has surprisingly big AoE.

Illusionary Leap helps you maintain illusions and catch stuff that is moving away from you, both because of the cripple, and because you can use Swap to go where your illusion is. This also allows you to move towards a distant enemy from the middle of a furball.

The Prestige seems pretty bad at first sight, but combined with your illusions it is again very useful, as your enemies will start attacking your illusions instead when you stealth. This gives you crucial time to heal or recharge a skill. In PvP you can escape surprisingly well with this, as people expect you to continue in your original direction: start running away, gain stealth with The Prestige and turn 180. You can gain crucial distance and time.
    Phantasmal Mage isn't particularly good, but again helps you maintain illusions.

Greatsword:
    I swap to this when I'm at range and enemies aren't concentrating on me, or the enemies are suitably bunched up. Both Mirror Blade and Mind Stab are useful against groups.
    Phantasmal Berserker can also hit multiple foes and being able to cripple groups is good when you want some breathing room. Same goes for Illusionary Wave, when I get overwhelmed by melee enemies and need space swapping to greatsword and using this helps. Too bad it doesn't throw enemies off cliffs.

Blink is crucial in PvP because you not only gain distance, but also break stun. Combined with Arcane Thievery this allows you to escape most pursuers who think they can still catch you by crippling you. You can also use it to close in with ranged opponents or catch escaping low-health enemies. I always have Blink in the same slot, bound to q (I play with wasd), and I can doubletap it almost reflexively when I need to get out of trouble fast.

Decoy is yet another illusion, and again you also gain stealth, which combined with the fact your illusion is a clone, helps you break contact.

I haven't yet gained access to the elite slot in PvE, but at least in PvP the elites aren't generally terribly good. You're rarely in a position where either stealthing all your nearby allies or having quickness field would be a massive deal.

Moa Morph can be super good situationally though, it reminds me a lot of GW1 mesmer skills as it essentially shuts down single enemy for 10 seconds, giving your teammates time to beat the bird up, letting you escape a dogged pursuer, or something else along those lines. If the enemy player is clearly specced as area support, denying the opposing team their support character can turn the tide when fighting over a control point.

TL;DR: mesmer is still all about the tricks, not brawn. And it is still engaging to play.
    Clips are fully loaded, and then blood floods the lawn

Hey, I'm not saying I'm necessarily down on the mesmer, just that I was hoping for a bit more maneuverability than I seem to get from the skills that root you in place (sword 2, greatsword 3 etc) and disappointed in the way some of them bug out like sword 3. I'm definitely going to persist with it, as level 12 is hardly a good enough point to reach conclusions. I've only been able to play for a small handful of hours so I really haven't got a handle on the game yet.

I found a good set of pointers on a mesmer thread over at guildwars2guru.com about some of the internal synergies we can use. For example, this chap suggested throwing a staff chaos field at your feet, then using the backwards escape (2), which triggers the combo field and gives you a free chaos armour. Also the concept of standing closer than you might be tempted to when using the staff, so that the auto-attack bounces to you and provides boons.

There's obviously a lot to learn.

Yep, for thief there are a lot of little tricks like those too. The more I play the game, the more I like it, it's quite deeper than it appears at first sight! So, is mesmer + greatsword any good? I just like the looks of it!

Reading through all the skills and trying to work out what can combine nicely, I'm tempted to run with Staff + Sword and Focus for a bit.

Start with some staff auto-attacks, then pop the warlock (whose damage is boosted from the conditions applied with your attacks), drop a chaos field, and (2) away, giving you chaos armour. Swap to sword and skill (3) a clone back in - I guess this should mean that your clone buddy here picks up Chaos armour too? Both the leap skill and Swap are listed as combo finishers so I suppose moving through the field with both of these should keep the armour refreshed.

Equally Temporal Curtain from the focus is a combo field, which would again seem to synergise with the staff (2) and sword (3) to leap back and forth through it.

Hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by zanchito View Post
    Yep, for thief there are a lot of little tricks like those too. The more I play the game, the more I like it, it's quite deeper than it appears at first sight! So, is mesmer + greatsword any good? I just like the looks of it!
    Its probably the most straightforward damage option. The basic attack is very strong as long as you are far enough away. Its also one of the only ways to summon illusions on your target rather than at your feet. The bouncing blade and phantasmal swordsman(?) both summon right on your target, which is nice when you are on the walls of a keep and they are on the ground or vice versa. Most of the other summons appear next to you, which can mean they just sit around and try to look tough without being able to participate.

The knockback move is also excellent, either as a way to give yourself some space or as an interrupt and CC. You can also blink behind an enemy and knock them into your allies which is always fun.

Network Hub
    I've been playing with the Sceptre/Focus + Staff combo so far (mostly PvE).
    Focus is lovely for the speed boost while running away/around and handy in massed fights for the field effect (removes conditions).
    Scepter is great for 1. creating a clone at the enemy location with every 3rd strike, 2. ray of confusion (this creates 5 stacks of confuse on the enemy, causing many of them to self terminate when using a skill)
    Staff has the lovely Chaos Field (hilarious in massed WvWvW fights) and several nice defensive moves not to mention the multipurpose basic attack.

I've been using at least one clone utility skill (usually the 2 clone summon + distortion) in an effort to keep as many clones / illusions up at once and keep on spamming the shatter skills.

spvp:

played with staff and greatsword

although the knocback is great these 2 together are just a tad too much dps minded in my opinion

switched to sword+torch/staff and finding it hard to die, ever.

staff being great for all its stuff, sword&torch being great for the 2 survival skills 2 and 4, 2sec invulnerable and invisbru works rly well, use the invisible quite a lot to chain moa with

once you get used to the range of the swords 3rd skill its a rly imba way of pinning your opponent down(melee love you)/closing gap when an enemy is trying to cap a point so you can keep it contested/moving away from shit/...

Quote Originally Posted by Powernoodles View Post
    spvp:
    once you get used to the range of the swords 3rd skill its a rly imba way of pinning your opponent down(melee love you)/closing gap when an enemy is trying to cap a point so you can keep it contested/moving away from shit/...
    Yeah, feels like leap is more intended to keep people from escaping rather than to try to jump on someone with. The immobilize on the second part of the skill is awesome.

Currently I play sPvP as sword+torch/scepter+pistol, but I think you (and a nice drop last night) have convinced me to try out staff again.

Quote Originally Posted by lasikbear View Post
    Yeah, feels like leap is more intended to keep people from escaping rather than to try to jump on someone with. The immobilize on the second part of the skill is awesome.

Currently I play sPvP as sword+torch/scepter+pistol, but I think you (and a nice drop last night) have convinced me to try out staff again.
    nice!

as mentioned before dont forget you can get chaos armor from using your 2 on your 5, also try to keep chaos armor/your 4 for the moments where you (expect to) get lots of attacks in a short time, this will give u lots of boons and them lots of conditions opposed to using it for boons when youre not being focused and therefor seeing it run out without having procced (i also run into dmg on purpose with it to get more procs xD)

i also have arcane thievery and null field as utility spells which together with your 5 from staff and spamming 2 for summons that use the staff 1 = your power goes over 9000

then i fill the cd downtime up with dodge rolls, more staff 2 for the "teleport", and sword torch skills, before you know it you can rinse and repeat again with staff 5 and null field

both of these give confusion combo to projectiles, so u can either stack them or use them after one another for longer confusion combo uptime

tend to be liberal in use of null field and keep arcane thievery/moa for the more special moments

almost forgot, if you use the prestige (torch stealth)and null field/5 from staff you will give you and nearby allies chaos armor when you leave stealth
    Last edited by Powernoodles; 30-08-2012 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powernoodles View Post
    what o_0

well most people probably have issues uniting their playstyle with the profession they took(due to archetypes making people believe they should roll certain professions because "theyre used to playing a bowman so they roll ranger", while to use a profession properly you play it with the playstyle it needs in sync with the role and build

Care to share a build?

http://www.gw2db.com/skills/calc/mes...0|0|0|0|0|0|0|

alternate between moa/quickness ulti

Major

Minor

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgAQ...z1ckUoaoWpC2GA

still a bit undecided about the chaos tree were you can choose between 20% reduced cd on staff skills or the mirror of anguish

getting the staff reduce will give you some min/maxed theorized increase in uptime of your stuff, but the fights dont really last long enough to say i can use my staff skills noticeably more..

whereas the reflect cc every 90seconds syncs very nicely in the whole counter idea (seeing as we have rly little to no pure cc), will pop every fight and chains nicely also with other spells/nuke/moa/...

so yeah instead of throwing one more chaos storm on average in a fight i prefer to SURPRISE BITCHES and reflect that often crucial cc they use to chain me to death and just counter that chain right back to them followed with all my goodness

I played more PvE last night and got to around level 17 (woohoo, right?) and am definitely enjoying the mesmer more now. I used sword and focus or pistol, plus staff swap, the whole time and found it very effective. The biggest learning for me is simply to be patient. I can't do big burst dps, but if I'm cautious I am massively survivable and can contribute a lot.

I'm opening with an auto-attack, then summoning the (3) warlock as the second auto-attack launches. As the mob(s) run at me, I create a (5) field and (2) back out of the way, then swap weapons and create the off-hand phantom. If I'm the focus of attention, I can use the sword (2), focus (4), or pistol (5) to stay alive with immunity, running away, or stuns respectively. This lets the phantasms do some damage. If enemies turn to the phantasms, I shatter them for more confusion or damage and kite around within the chaos field using dodge, sword (3), and utilities. Generally between the weapon skills, dodging, and decoy, blink, or mirror image utility skills, I've got more than enough tools to stay alive for CDs to reset.

It's definitely starting to click.