Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Obscure Node
    I've been using this build the last couple of days and loving it. It's a high survivability build and I can easily take out multiple level 80 mobs with it:
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fgAQ...qA1RqQrVmxsdhA

Clones! Clones everywhere =)

Time to bring back this thread from the dead with two specs I've been having fun with lately.

First is a confusionless condition semi-bunker stealthy spec. It's based on rabid gear so high toughness high cond dmg. You basically dance in and out of stealth (which due to the new prismatic understanding buffs youevery bloody second with protection, aegis and regen) while using staff autoattack (from yourself and clones) to bleed/burn the other guy(s) to death. You have lots of escapes and amazing survivability. Good fun in small scale WvW and duels - not so much in dungeons or zergy WvW.

Second is a burst shatter spec - full on zerker glass cannon. This is based on a tPvP build and a work in progress as I don't really care for some of the utility skills or sigils they're using in high-end tPvP. But oh my does it kill. Especially if you're in a teamfight and not focused, you will wreck everything. The GS and Pistol phantasm hit like bloody trucks and the shatters are a great burst. If you can get an immobilize in with sword 3 then a sword 2 will again rip through the poor sod's health pool.

Both specs use create-a-clone-on-dodge and vigor-on-crit. I honestly can say I can't play without perma vigor-on-crit anymore (be it on the guardian or mesmer).

I've been having a lot of fun with my first spec, but it's slow and tactical, basically you wear down your opponent. I've had fights with thieves where we both danced in and out of stealth, successfully escaping their burst and them simply grinding them to a pulp. On the other hand, playing burst shatter is so damned fun, it's kill or get killed high-adrenaline gameplay with very very quick payoffs if done right.
    Last edited by noaru; 15-07-2013 at 01:24 PM.
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

An update to my burst shatter spec. The link also has the gear I'm running - I've taken PTV for legs and helm because the %crit ratio is very bad on them. I'm also running with some PTV accessories for added survivability. I'm probably going to swap to Scholar/Eagle runes once I'm comfy with the spec and feel like throwing gold at the TP for them - Ruby Orbs work quite nicely at the moment. Oh and Sigil of Air is the cheaper version of Sigil of Fire.

I'm liberally changing between focus/pistol/torch - each has its advantages. The focus phantasm does the most damage, but it doesn't hit as reliably as the pistol one. Blink and Decoy are there to stay, but the third utility can be Arcane Thievery, Mirror Images (good for a burst) or Portal.

LE: If you want to test in sPvP, run Berserker Amulet with Divinity runes.
    LE2:
    One thing about Illusionary Persona - the shatter effect on you is melee range. So when you use Mind Wrack, you have to be in melee range in order for the damage from yourself shattering to be dealt. Kinda makes sense, but not obvious.
    Ideally, you'd get some ranged damage in, while spawning clones (one from GS, one from dodge) then swap to sword, use the clone that immobilizes and teleports you in melee. Then at the same time shatter and pop sword 2 and giggle at the numbers.
    Ofc, that doesn't work as planned most of the time, but if it were that simple everybody'd be oneshotting people in pvp.
    Last edited by noaru; 17-07-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

Thanks for the tips. I am gonan try the mesmer in sPVP soon, so this will come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Finally blew all my laurels, commendations, karma and badges of honour yesterday on getting Lady C some vastly improved gear. I'm not entirely clear how I managed to get her to L80 with L20 trinkets and blue L60 gear, but there you go.
    Have gone zerker sword/focus/GS, ascended zerk trinkets and a 50:50 split of zerk to soldier armour (zerk chest/legs)

Still unsure if I go shatter (20/20/0/0/30?) or glamour/phantasm (20/20/0/30/0?) build though. I won't be in wvw much, as I'll leave that to other alts, and zerker armour seems suicidal there, so suspect this is mainly a dungeon character. Any thoughts on shatter vs phantasm from those more experienced with mes?
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

For PvE, unless you're running high-level fractals, you should be running the most dps you can (and that's shatter atm). If you want a more supporty build you could go phantasms too. I'd suggest you muck about with the specs and pick whatever you like.

As for WvW, I've been having so much fun as glass cannon... even in zerg-v-zerg (keeping your distance and staying out of the way are crucial). I'm also getting better and better at estimating when I should run and when I should fight, because survival is key. As opposed to my guardian which lives to be in the thick of it... guess I played tanky melee for too long

Also updated my earlier post (with the traits) with a few observations based on gameplay.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thanks Aliss. My essential problem is having too many characters, and not being clear about their roles, and they don't get played often apart from my warrior/Ele. Will take your advice and go shatter for a bit, as Arah/ high level fracs will be for my warrior, and practice playing mes for the rest if the month...
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    So how about Runes of the Centaur then? How about those Runes of the Centaur? Swiftness on heal. Pretty useful, huh?

Useful, yes. Depending on your plan, you might want to use Runes of Air though, as they grant you better single target DPS. The new Runes of the Traveller are the new hip thing to use though, perfect for the lazy player with the passiv 25% move increase.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Here's my current build that I usually run in dungeons and while soloing. Very shatter heavy sword/focus build, but with 20 points in Inspiration for Glamour Mastery and, more importantly, Warden's Feedback. This means missing out on 20% Mind Wrack damage, which is usually anathema in a shatter build, but it comes down to perhaps 2-5k damage lost every 12 seconds versus near endless reflects, more runspeed, more retaliation (leap through Curtain), and more Wardens (with whirl finishers for even more damage or AoE cleansing).

The other trade-offs are losing a bit of power and condi damage for vitality and healing power and losing the wonky vulnerability minor traits for phantasm retaliation and AoE regeneration which seems more than a fair trade. Also no Greatsword Training, but I rarely use the greatsword now - more on that later.

First utility is usually a glamour skill, most often Null Field (AoE condition cleansing, boon stripping and a combo field? Yes please!), the second is always Blink, the third is usually Decoy or Mirror Images depending on the situation.

Gear is full zerker with scholar runes, apart from two zerk/valkyrie accessories and a soldier cloak I haven't bothered to change for a whopping 52 vitality and 16 toughness, so I'm pretty glassy. Staying alive is usually all about mobility, using lots of active defences (another pro for Warden's Feedback) and switching greatsword for staff as my secondary weapon. I found I almost never switched out of sword/focus to GS unless I wanted to get out of melee to survive and the staff is just so much better at keeping you alive.

A quick comparison of the defensive qualities of the two:

Greatsword has
    AoE cripple.
    A knockback you rarely want to use in group content and which usually doesn't work on bosses.

Staff has
    Chaos Storm - AoE daze, weakness, poison, chill for foes and swiftness, aegis, retaliation, etherial field for allies.
    Chaos Armor.
    A short cooldown retreat that can be used while stunned and combo with Chaos Storm for more Chaos Armor.

In addition you get an auto-attack and clones which debuff enemies and buff allies along with a phantasm that usually hits like a truck in group content. I still use GS when I want to stand at max range and DPS or need some AoE burst, but for most situations the staff is much better utility and group support without sacrificing much damage.

I haven't played in ages but have picked up the game a bit more again recently. I've retuned the mesmer to be a 10/30/0/30/0 build focused around Phantasm damage. I'm using a sword and focus with the offhand swap to pistol, mainly using projectile reflects and other utilities in dungeons.

For skills it's Feedback and Blink almost always slotted, and then Signet of Inspiration or Null Field in the last slot, or something like Portal/Decoy when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    This made my day:
    - If you are a fat norn or charr, consider turning your culling settings (in Graphics) to Lowest so your clones get generic human NPC models. This will prevent your screen from filling up with masses of rolling blubber obscuring everything.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Thanks for posting that build Malawi.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    So is there some secret to making a phantasm build actually work and be enjoyable? Looks great on paper, but whenever I've tried it I just find it wonky and annoying. Soloing is rather slow and dull, dungeon trash either die too fast for your DPS to ramp up or outright kill anything you summon before it has a chance to do damage. There are few bosses where you can reliably keep three phantasms up, not to mention the huge DPS loss if you have to shatter or re-summon phantasms to deal with adds.

The reliance on weak summons with longish cooldowns just makes it seem inherently crippled to me, but I'm open to the idea that I may have missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    The reliance on weak summons with longish cooldowns just makes it seem inherently crippled to me, but I'm open to the idea that I may have missed something.
    Oh man, don't let Necromancers hear you saying that. Clones and Phantasms are incredibly easy to resummon in comparison to minions.

Obscure Node
    Love that build Malawi! I was running something very similar but trying to work out a way to get those nice phantasm recharges in.

Anyone have any tips for WvW gear and traits? Am likely to get into it more and more as I tick things off of my PvE to-do list. I currently have full zerk gear and am wondering what I should switch for WvW. Is PVT pretty much a must? I've been considering a mash-up of knights and zerk to hit 50% crit chance whilst giving a fair damage reduction (27%), though obviously lacking vitality. I normally go with "If I'm getting hit I'm doing it wrong". See link for details:

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/...1.38.3k.34.0|e

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    "If I'm getting hit I'm doing it wrong" works for PvE and roaming, but for zerg fights you have to assume that you'll be getting hit and spec to soak up a decent amount of damage. I'd say your toughness looks ok but that you could stand to gain some more vitality for WvW. (Some of this you can get with food, of course, but a few PTV or similar gear pieces wouldn't go amiss.)
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

It depends really... if your preffered position in a big skirmish is at range picking off people then you should favor damage gear with a bit of PVT (pretty much what I do). You also need to be good at escaping whenever it gets too hot - mesmers have plenty of tools to allow this.

If you want to run in a tight group and take the zerg head-on and survive all of the maneouvers then you need to go mostly PVT and think how you can help your group (focus skills reflect projectiles, feedback, null field, chaos storm etc) and trait accordingly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Mesmer forums:
    -"Greatsword sucks!"
    -"N-no, you!"

Oh wow, I found a gem: "I called my build Mahou Senshi Shoujo/MSS. It comes from Japanese which means Magical Warrior Girl. " https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...esmer-10th-OCT
    Last edited by Malawi Frontier Guard; 23-10-2013 at 10:05 AM.