An RPS X-Com savegame passy aroundy AAR type thing?

So, with all this talk about the X-Com reboot I was thinking it would be nice to start an RPS X-Com : Enenmy Unknown game. Basically, we get a list of people willing to take part, we start a new game on the hardest difficulty setting and we pass a savegame around. Each person plays for one day in-game, saves the game, writes an AAR and passes the savegame to the next person on the list. If things go pearshaped on your turn don't stress and don't replay until you get an ideal result. Let the next poor bugger fix things the next day.

Sadly I lack the time and organizational skill to keep track of this but I'd very much like to see something like this happen and would love to participate.

Activated Node
    That's an excellent idea and I'd be willing to participate as well. Only thing is, if i'm not mistaken, there are a few versions of x-com around and we would have to make sure the save is compatible... can someone be more precise on this?

Also, I guess one day in-game is not enought time.. maybe two days in-game for each pass?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Two days in game can be over in the space of half a second, especially early on. I'd suggest taking it month by month, perhaps splitting by fortnight/week in the late game.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    Two days in game can be over in the space of half a second, especially early on. I'd suggest taking it month by month, perhaps splitting by fortnight/week in the late game.
    I hear you about days passing quickly, especially in the early game. But then I can't guarantee that leaving me alone for one whole month in-game will not result in pure disaster!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    How about passing it on after each tactical mission?

Ok, so this is going ahead and I'll try to organise and keep it going but if I start letting everyone down because real life gets in the way just shout and I can pass it on to someone better suited.

To answer questions in no particular order :

1. We'll use the version on Steam because it is standardised and costs $3.00 if anyone wants to try a different version we can go ahead but if your savegame doesn't work we are going to have to revert to the last save game that worked.
    2. Please drop me a PM with an email address (See point 3.) if you want to take part and I'll add your name to a roster in the first post in this thread. This will probably happen on Saturday or Sunday. There is no closing date. Anyone can join any time you'll just be appended to the roster.
    3. For now we can send the savegame files as a zipped file via email. If anyone has an ftp site we can maybe use that.
    4. For now each player plays for a week in-game. If this doesn't work we can always change it.
    5. I want this to be fun and flexible so other than this let's just wing it.

As I say, from my side this will probably all start happening later on this weekend.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by BobsLawnService View Post
    Ok, so this is going ahead and I'll try to organise and keep it going but if I start letting everyone down because real life gets in the way just shout and I can pass it on to someone better suited.

To answer questions in no particular order :

1. We'll use the version on Steam because it is standardised and costs $3.00 if anyone wants to try a different version we can go ahead but if your savegame doesn't work we are going to have to revert to the last save game that worked.
    2. Please drop me a PM with an email address (See point 3.) if you want to take part and I'll add your name to a roster in the first post in this thread. This will probably happen on Saturday or Sunday. There is no closing date. Anyone can join any time you'll just be appended to the roster.
    3. For now we can send the savegame files as a zipped file via email. If anyone has an ftp site we can maybe use that.
    4. For now each player plays for a week in-game. If this doesn't work we can always change it.
    5. I want this to be fun and flexible so other than this let's just wing it.

As I say, from my side this will probably all start happening later on this weekend.
    Sounds awesome. I'll be sending you a pm with an email as soon as I get back home, let's get that rolling. Also i reckon it *could* be interesting if we chose research by commitee, whaddya think? I'd be pretty pissed if I got a save researching motion detector instead of heavy plasma for example :P

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    A month sounds better. Its a standard length in game, ends with a score. In something like Dwarf Fortress it goes for 1 year. Its better to have it long, to see the changes, a month lets that happen.

Part the First.

Finally, top brass have decided to go public with this thing. At this point there is absolutely no way the public does not know about the alien incursion. The decision to set Europa up in Hungary was not taken lightly. We want cover over Europe and the Middle East because of Europe's population density as well as coverage of the Middle Eastern and North African oil fields. Given the nature of the incursion I'm sure we'll expand into other territories before too long.

anno1999.jpg

On that note : Whomever decided to lay this base out for us should be court martialled. In terms of defensibility this place is the modern day Alamo. If we get invaded here we're going to have a hell of a time of it. These sunken chested excuses for soldiers are what I have to work with so I guess I'll just have to get on with it. Doesn't help to bitch to the brass anyway - nobody listens anyway.

To the men. Had to fire a few who were just liabilities and hire a few more but here they are. God help us all :

Quinns G. Smith.

This man has no mettle. Scared of his own shadow but by God does he have an arm. Says he likes "Making shit go Boom!". I can work with this - as long has whoever is on his flank is alert and knows lots of soothing nursery rhymes.

Bob G. McChucky

Another who can hit three pointers all day. A bit sunken chested but as the missus keeps saying, ahem, it's not sizeit's stamina and technique. Can't hit the broadside of a barn with an auto-cannon but we'll give him blanks so at least he doesn't accidentally kill the rest of us.

John R. Walker

According to him he can really shoot Whump Rats in Beggars Canyone - whatever the hell that means. Make no mistake - man can shoot. Slow, lazy and peobably shoots so well so that he can position himself as far away from any threat as he possibly can.

Jim H. Rossignol

Built like a brick shithouse and can handle a rocket launcher or autocannon with the best. Did I mention he has balls of steel? Stood next to Bob on the rifle range. A little slow but you can't have it all. I peg him to go far unless he cops some plasma to the cranium in his first mission.

Lewie G. Proctor

Man can throw. Sleeps with his light on at night. Voted most likely to drop is pistol and grenade and run aways screaming like a little girl at the first greyskin.

Alec R. Meer

Can red mist a rabbit at 300 yards. Useful skin since that is about as close as he is willing to get to the front line. Could be handy with heavy eapons as well considering how much time he spends in the base gym.

StrongBack H. Rii

Big. Ugly. Chickenshit. Likes fire and explosions so he'll be perfect for razing entire neighbourhoods with high explosives.

Maria Jones

Quick as a lynx. Not much good at anything else.

Michael G. Jordan

Was an NBA basketball player until he broke is legs. Ifigure that if you give him a bag of grenades he should be an asset to the team.

Deadeye R. Dick

Accurate, stong, has a steady arm and is mentally strong. Looking forward to seeing what he is capable of under fire.

Joe R. Average

The height of averageness at everything. That makes him talented amongst this crew. Keep an eye on him for possible future promotions.

William R. Tell

Man has a gift for sharp shooting and leaving brown strips in his trousers when alarmed. Quick as a bunny too - probably a talent learned from a lifetime of running away.

----------------

That's it for the grunts. I've also requisitioned 10 scientists and 5 engineers since we'll only ever win this war if we can catch up with these grey bastards on the battlefield.

Ten of those boffins are busy working on some new ideas for battlefield medicine (We need all the help we can get keeping our men alive out there.) and laser weapons (Anything to improve on these crappy weapons that we currently have.)

On Saturday we picked up our first blip. Was very small and hovering over the farmlands of the UK. We expect to see reports of inside-out cattle imminently. Sadly it was too quick for our interceptors.

first contact very small.jpg

Shortly afterwards the supplies I requisitioned arrived. Lots of explodey stuff. I'm taking no chances. High explosives and levelling of countryside ahoy.

first order.jpg
    Last edited by BobsLawnService; 04-07-2011 at 05:29 PM.