Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Warrior class thread: because there has to be one !

Here comes the warrior's thread !

I can't comment much on the class yet, but being the class with the most weapon choice AFAIK, we will have lots to discuss.

Useful links:
    Here is a link to the Skills
    And Traits

And here is the calculator.

I am in love with the greatsword right know...

Axe + Sword all the way.
    Though currently i use mace and sword as i found a nice mace. But the off-hand sword is so much fun.

Network Hub
    Was gonna start one of these during the downtime, got distracted by the downtime ending. :P I run rifle + axe/warhorn, kite forever and ever and ever, stack vulnerability, deal massive killshot crits. Also happens to be a great sPvP weapon set, with a tweaked build.

Activated Node
    Currently using the mace/axe combo, or axe/shield when I need to tank. Loving the Norn warrior, basically a Klingon with no cornish pastie on his head.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    It's all rifle for me, keeps you out of the danger zone, puts out ridiculous damage (with burst skills it seems to be more consistent than greatsword) and a side of axe/axe when I need to do some aoe damage.

I'm more interested in what utilities and things people are using.

For me some for great justice, bolas and the damage immunity thing for when I want to charge in with axes seems the best.

The elite signet is the only signet I like and that's probably more because I don't like the other elites.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    My warrior is lvl 17 and I've mainly been using a greatsword with sword + warhorn as secondary set. Not because I have any reason to believe this is the "best" loadout (I haven't even begun to delve into the mechanics of the game yet), but because having Rush, Whirlwind Attack, Savage Leap and Charge gives me four ways to get around quickly.

For utilities I've got Banner of Defence and Signet of Might. The banner I mostly just plonk down during events to give everyone a buff and then I can pick it up after to get another run speed buff when I move on (yeah, I really like running fast!).

I put my trait points into Arms to get bleeds from critical hits and my general tactics for tougher mobs and events is pretty simple: Charge in, get some adrenaline going, hit Signet of Might, use Arcing Slice to get the Fury buff and then slice away with Hundred Blades, which now has 20% extra crit chance and leaves buffed bleeds every time it crits. This seems to work very well while soloing, but it does mean you're reliant on Hundred Blades to do most of your damage and of course you can't move while performing that move which can get really annoying in events when enemies are being pushed and dragged all over the place. I also can't imagine it working in PvP where people can just dodge out of the way or stun you.

I tried double axes for a while, which give some very nice and simple AoE, but I missed the extra mobility.

So I hit up my first sPvP with a warrior today (mostly used necro and ele for it in beta) and it was certainly a blast.

Twin axes definitely eat people (and I was using quite a mixed build, 30 str, 20 def, 20 disc), this is mostly down to the burst being great (got a few 8k crits with it) and axes building up adrenaline very, very fast. With signet of rage, bolas and bulls charge I didn't have a problem getting around and with a gun as backup people weren't able to run far.

Going to try out some other weapons and skills and report back ^_^

Network Hub
    Longbow is the only way to play, the AoE damage is just obscene, also great for soloing veterans and champions without issue.

I probably should not yet decide on something. I went with the hammer for a while now and sure enjoy it a lot.
    So many interupts. And bulls charge allows for enough movement.

Obscure Node
    I think this posts a shining example that warriors can be played in many ways there's no best choice for every situation. Just shows how strong the class is, which can only be a good thing.

Personally I've mainly used sword/board and longbow (stacking toughness vit and condition dmg) as I've been leveling with a friendly elementalist, works great for combos and I can run headlong into large groups do my obscene cc and my mate does the rest. If I was solo i'd probably be running more offensive but currently theres no need we can take on pretty much everything including some group events.

In WvWvW Sword/board worked brilliantly well too, in a small group you can tank enough and cc on the front lines for the rest of your group to jump in and finish the job, leap into hamstring, shield bash, bulls charge,flurry, fear = no escape. Longbow comes in handy when theres no straight up chance to engage/ keep sieges.

Hi, my name is Rhea the Firm and I am a Warrior.

I love this class and am very happy that I chose it as a first "main" class to play. Have to agree with Gravy about the flexibility with the choice of playstyle - there are obviously many many ways to play an effective Warrior.

I also love that the Warrior is - as far as I can tell - the fastest class to get around with. Using Greatsword & Sword/Horn, I can outrun Swiftness-buffed characters.

Whirlwind Attack -> Rush -> Switch Weapon (SW) -> Savage Leap -> Charge -> Bull's Charge -> SW -> Whirlwind Attack -> SW -> Savage Leap...

Just make sure to deactivate auto-selection for skill targets in the options and you'll be rushing through maps like nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    I also love that the Warrior is - as far as I can tell - the fastest class to get around with. Using Greatsword & Sword/Horn, I can outrun Swiftness-buffed characters.

Whirlwind Attack -> Rush -> Switch Weapon (SW) -> Savage Leap -> Charge -> Bull's Charge -> SW -> Whirlwind Attack -> SW -> Savage Leap...

Just make sure to deactivate auto-selection for skill targets in the options and you'll be rushing through maps like nothing else.
    Hi Rhea ! :P

Seriously, I will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Hi, my name is Rhea the Firm and I am a Warrior.

I love this class and am very happy that I chose it as a first "main" class to play. Have to agree with Gravy about the flexibility with the choice of playstyle - there are obviously many many ways to play an effective Warrior.

That sounds awesome and tiring, signet of rage also has a 30sec swiftness buff on it for a 60sec cooldown. So you could get that in your rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    That sounds awesome and tiring, signet of rage also has a 30sec swiftness buff on it for a 60sec cooldown. So you could get that in your rotation.
    Yeah, true, it is a bit tiring after a while. Also, I am not sure if this is the single best rotation you can choose, but you get the idea. Signet of Rage is a nice addition, and one that might make running a bit more relaxed.

"also love that the Warrior is - as far as I can tell - the fastest class to get around with."

im hard pressed to believe this..

don't get me wrong, if you are talking about which prof you can give the most movement skills I'll believe you..

but a viable build (so not with every single movement thing possible) is hardly as fast as a thief who gets swiftness from dodging and can spam his heartseeker like 6 times before he runs out of initiative

alternating between these and dodge rolls = hella fast

a mesmer who places a portal and instantly teleports = faster than your chain of movement skills

so yeah, from a competitive sPvP standpoint, a warrior is the last prof you would take to roam, it's mobility is not to get around, its to stick on its target so he can knock it down/stun it/cripple it/dmg it

and not "to get around", other professions excel far better at that..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Thief also has the shortbow for getting around.

An elementalist can get up to 20% permanent run speed buff in air attunement with the right traits, plus air attunement tends to have Swiftness access - and Ride the Lightning for when you absolutely positively have to travel 1200 units in a second.

Warrior is certainly faster then some others though.
    Last edited by Screwie; 30-08-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powernoodles View Post
    "also love that the Warrior is - as far as I can tell - the fastest class to get around with." im hard pressed to believe this..
    Well, as I said - as far as I can tell. I haven't tried all professions.

don't get me wrong, if you are talking about which prof you can give the most movement skills I'll believe you.. but a viable build (so not with every single movement thing possible) is hardly as fast as a thief who gets swiftness from dodging and can spam his heartseeker like 6 times before he runs out of initiative
    I was mainly talking about getting around, not about a viable leveling/PvP build.

a mesmer who places a portal and instantly teleports = faster than your chain of movement skills
    I wasn't aware that you can place portals that far ahead. How long is the cooldown on that?

so yeah, from a competitive sPvP standpoint, a warrior is the last prof you would take to roam, it's mobility is not to get around, its to stick on its target so he can knock it down/stun it/cripple it/dmg it and not "to get around", other professions excel far better at that..
    Again, as said above, I didn't say that the Warrior excels in PvP races. I'd be interested in directly comparing the movement speeds though in straight start-to-finish "race" on plain ground.

aye squirrel,

i talk from a spvp perspective so what is true there for sure isnt necessarily true in wvwvw/pvp

the "entry" portal lasts for a full minute, the "exit" for 20 seconds

note that both portals can be used to portal to the other so there is no true "entry/exit", they both are.

what i do is i place my portal, go to a different point, go completely nuts with aoe/fields/summons/moa etc

then i place my 2nd portal to actually go back and just watch damage tick from afar xD

pretty awesome getting lots of points from kills without you actually being there also great for teammates who are low to just portal out for a sec, heal up/lose enemy focus, and port back in the action

timing is key, if you time it with the respawn of the enemy team for instance you essentialy make a "bet" that they might attack the point you have "abandoned". in that case by having gone to the other point, i can not only go back to defend but also my allies can use the portal, keeping them "in action" at all times/at the location people are needed, increasing your teams effectiveness tremendously(or their ability to wipe faster ;p but that hasnt happened (yet) xD).

also when you have defended a point, but still need to finish the downed enemy/cap the point i drop my portal and already start running to the new hotspot of action so that whoever caps the point/finishes the enemy can instantly use my portal to come to the new location and i can port back to defend it again

thats why mesmer has such presence, that teleport alone forces you to be where the action is, and by doing so you have left a "breadcrumb trail" with the ability to go back from where you came from and giving that to your allies

still have to find something more OP than this in terms of individual impact on the team (guardians and such are great, but a guardian that is able to teleport between the 2 points just went x2 in terms of team utility)
    Last edited by Powernoodles; 30-08-2012 at 05:47 PM.

still have to find something more OP than this in terms of individual impact on the team (guardians and such are great, but a guardian that is able to teleport between the 2 points just went x2 in terms of team utility)
    That's what I thought when I saw the mesmer skills... but I can't kid myself, I am not able to manage my clones, debuffs and utility skills + I always want to go in the middle of the fight. I need something more reactive and straighforward, hence the warrior character.

aye idd love it aswell got this as my controlsupportbuild:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fIAQ...7Nubk3sAZAycDA