Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    For dungeons, I run Rifle + Axe/Warhorn, with a primarily glass cannon build. There's definitely a better offhand for that, but warhorn's what I have and I keep it around for the swiftness buff while leveling. I bring the heal skill that removes conditions (lifesaver that one when mobs stack conditions), and for utilities I bring For Great Justice, On My Mark, and the Signet that grants Precision/fills adrenaline bar. My Elite is the banner, I bring it mainly for the instant rally effect. My spec is primarily into Arms for the extra precision; I have a decent mix of Power, Precision, and Crit damage on my gear. In arms I grab Crack Shot and the vulnerability on crits trait. I aim to keep vulnerability up on my main target to improve my group's damage, and I stack as much vulnerability as possible to improve my Killshot and Volley damage.

For sPvP, I use a different build. I use the same weapons (Rifle + axe/warhorn) but I build much more balanced. 25 points into Arms, 30 into Defense, and 15 into another tree which I can't recall atm. Pick up the same Arms traits as above. In defense I grab the traits to activate Endure Pain when I hit 25% health, activate the Stability stance when hit by hard cc, and gain adrenaline on being hit. I take Runes of the Soldier to gain the remove a condition on Shouts passive, to ensure I have some condition defense. I bring the heal which increases with adrenaline level, and for utilities I bring For Great Justice, Fear Me, and Shake it Off. Signet of Rage for the elite. Basic strategy is to apply vulnerability to targets to improve everyone's damage on the target, and use my cc to control their movement. Rifle 1 > Rifle 5 > Rifle 2 > Rifle 4 > Rifle 3 > Fear Me > Weapon Swap > Axe 3 gives me enough time to flip some points from full capped enemy to full capped me, while dealing significant damage to the defender. Will get me at least a neutralize against almost any defender (and, indeed, can often get me a neutralize against multiple defenders). Depending on how long it takes them to get back to me before I have to pop Fear Me I sometimes don't even have to weapon swap to get a cripple. I use Killshot whenever I feel like my opponent is unlikely or unable to counter it, such as right after they dodge roll multiple times or when they don't seem to be watching me during a multiple person fight.

Here is my future build...

It's a healing/offensive build. It needs polishing because I don't have anything to remove conditions (except last stand).

I like the idea of having a second wind trough vengeance and rally... but i am not sure I would have the time to use it since you can't use then right away, living opponents the time to kill you...

An alternative one. Without rellying on last stand. a bit more raw damage and removing some debuff with the healing signet.

Absolutely not sure about which elite skill to use.
    Last edited by Drayk; 31-08-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DeVadder View Post
    Axe + Sword all the way.
    Though currently i use mace and sword as i found a nice mace. But the off-hand sword is so much fun.
    I think this combo is terrific. i haven't played the game much but this set of weapons is very effective. can't think of other sets for now, i think.

I'm currently using a rifle as my main weapon and switching to sword + axe when I get surrounded, love the bleeding damage that can be built up with the sword which has been a lifesaver quite a few times.

As far as my elite skills go at the moment I've got the battle standard and bear form to choose between, the banner is alot more useful but the bear is great fun.

Activated Node
    Finally made the move to a missile weapon for one set, so I'm using rifle until they get close, then I smack them with the rifle butt and switch to either sword/sword or sword/axe. I love the fifth skill on the axe, the one which makes you whirl like a nutter. Good build, but still undecided with traits.

So far I've tried two set ups as a midly high level (55) warrior :

Hammer/Rifle : great AoE disruption with the hammer, people just don't know how to handle that much CC (AoE knock back, knock down, AoE snare, AoE stun) and once they tried to run away you can just switch to the rifle and take them down or catch them with the hammer's shockwave or Burst attack. Good stuff.

Longbow/Rifle : not exactly what you would expect from the class but Longbow is ridiculous AoE damage and Rifle is ridiculous single target damage, makes for a lethal duo.

As for traits, I don't remember the specifics but I've gone for a maximum adrenaline efficiency and bleed damage build, with added crit chance based on adrenaline, bleed chance on crit, bonus adrenaline on weapon switch, added regen based on adrenaline, etc, etc.
    Last edited by Choca; 05-09-2012 at 03:10 PM.

I really love dual axe for solo play, with a longbow for combo fields/might. I have yet to get into dungeons in earnest, does anyone find anything particularly useful in groups? Warhorn seems a sensible choice...?

Obscure Node
    I just picked up the game the other day, and wanted to say thank you for pointing out the Skill Calc. I'm really happy with the Warrior class, especially the Hammer skills.

I was going to try this for Hammer/Bow, thoughts?

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by ata View Post
    I'm currently using a rifle as my main weapon and switching to sword + axe when I get surrounded, love the bleeding damage that can be built up with the sword which has been a lifesaver quite a few times.

As far as my elite skills go at the moment I've got the battle standard and bear form to choose between, the banner is alot more useful but the bear is great fun.
    I think I'll go for rifle too, mainly because I'm too lazy to reroll a ranged class

Quote Originally Posted by ViperFang1 View Post
    I just picked up the game the other day, and wanted to say thank you for pointing out the Skill Calc. I'm really happy with the Warrior class, especially the Hammer skills.

I was going to try this for Hammer/Bow, thoughts?
    You're welcome.

I am playing Hammer/rifle at the moment and loving it. I play arms/defense/discipline. The Idea being my build is Dealing massive critical strike on downed opponents and still packing some defense. Its my PVP build actually

From memory it's something like this

I use lots of signet so I could use deep strike instead.

Obscure Node
    I've been considering banners, but those signets look really nice. Thanks for this.

Network Hub
    I started gaming GW2 as a thief but never really like my character so I changed into warrior, it fits my personality. At first I didn't think choosing the right profession can help you win, but I was wrong. For newbies, I think the best thing to do is to choose the right profession for your personality. This infographic might come in handy: http://forums.gamearena.com.au/guild...hoose?t=158672

I've been levelling my warriors (yes, plural) a bit these last few days and am really loving the ranged warrior I made (rifle/longbow). I destroy everything in PvE and do pretty good in attack and defense in WvW. I'm still working on my spec but getting the faster weapon switching and piercing rifle shots is my next focus.

Network Hub
    "When I'm done with you, you won't trust your own mind." .... I love Mesmer too especially its shatter skills.

By the way, you got a nice editor there, powernoodles.
    Last edited by harhis23; 28-09-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    I sort of lost interest in my warrior for a while but got back to levelling her the last couple of days. I went crafting and made every weapon set I could use, spent an afternoon playing with all of them to figure out which ones I liked and to my surprise ended up with double axes and a longbow along with these traits.

The basic idea is to open up with the bow, lay down a fire field, Explosive Arrow for area might, switch to axes and use Throw Axe (projectile finisher) as I run in, use Cyclone and Whirling Axe (whirl finishers) before the combo field fades and then either finish the enemy off with axes or switch back to bow for another fire field if needed. This way I can keep AoE burning up indefinitely while dealing heavy damage and stacking bleeds with axe skills. Watching my little Asura twirl around like a crazed ballerina spitting fireballs in every direction is always enjoyable.

The downsides are the complete lack of mobility skills and being rather squishy. The latter problem is lessened somewhat by having a ranged weapon which lets me kite a bit in difficult fights. There isn't much to be done about mobility, but at least I can swap in a warhorn to get swiftness out of combat.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    I'm currently grinding loot and karma in Cursed Shore (usually in one of those soulless PUGs where nobody talks but it's just stupid not to group) using sword/warhorn for mobility and GS to tag kills.

For WvW I swap out the GS for a longbow, and for dungeons I'm using hammer/rifle.

I scorned the warhorn while I was levelling but now I just love the sword/warhorn combo for getting me out of trouble in WvW.

I haven't played anything except warrior, apart from a level 2 Charr Necro which I lost interest in rapidly. I just love the class, but I bet everyone feels the same about their main class.

Obscure Node
    After all the nonsense of using hammers and rifles, I'm hovering around level 35 using Mace/Sword and Axe/Shield.

Blocking is really effective mechanic that I don't think I can live without. One of the most useful parts is the reflect projectiles trait. A single attack block ability like the second mace skill will reflect any number of projectiles to their source, AND with high precision theres a good chance these will inflict critical hits on their return... then add in some procs on crit traits and you have a pretty sweet build. Here's my latest skill build: Click here

After all the nonsense of using hammers and rifles, I'm hovering around level 35 using Mace/Sword and Axe/Shield.

Blocking is really effective mechanic that I don't think I can live without. One of the most useful parts is the reflect projectiles trait. A single attack block ability like the second mace skill will reflect any number of projectiles to their source, AND with high precision theres a good chance these will inflict critical hits on their return... then add in some procs on crit traits and you have a pretty sweet build. Here's my latest skill build: Click here
    This post requires context. I'd guess this a WvW build? Or sPvP? I'm pretty sure it's not a PvE or Dungeons build.

Obscure Node
    I haven't hopped into the PvP scene yet, so I mostly enjoy this for PvE. I think it's great, that's about it. Being able to start a fight with a veteran mob and take nearly no damage, because I timed my blocks and countered with interrupts/stun, is an enjoyable feeling.

Maybe it won't stay that way as my level increases, but for now I'm content.

I haven't hopped into the PvP scene yet, so I mostly enjoy this for PvE. I think it's great, that's about it. Being able to start a fight with a veteran mob and take nearly no damage, because I timed my blocks and countered with interrupts/stun, is an enjoyable feeling.

Maybe it won't stay that way as my level increases, but for now I'm content.
    A blocking build will be good practise for later but PvE, even against Veterans, is probably more about dodging, circle-strafing and maximizing damage. Not that there's a right or wrong way to play. The ethos of the game seems to be do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.