Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
    Will try without GS for a bit, and not only because folk were rude about my naff GS skin yesterday.
    I have a few if you want a nicer skin.
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thanks for the offer, but the naff skins are the incentive to level up and gear my 3 remaining alts!
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Never used sword past unlocking the skills.
    You're missing out on one of the best/broken movement skills in the game, #2 on sword. Apart from that, the last patch has pretty much destroyed 1h sword. Cripple in the AA chain is horrible and predictable, as is Final Thrust. In PvE Warriors are still fine and unmatched in damage output, but at the same time haven't improved in PvP.

So as a few reminders to others who didn't know - you might need to really focus on the detail of the traits you invest in and then work out what you need to do best use them... So having 3 full adrenaline slots and the additive general dmg bonus that applies could well be more to utilise *before* unleashing 100 swords rather than after to help charge up the adrenaline when you've pressed F1.

and there are always fight situationals. If you have lots of casters, an interuptive weapon (ie hammer) could be far more suitable than greatsword.

Basically lots of things you *could* think about.
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Hmmm, as people have been suggesting while we've been chatting seems GS is not so hot on for pvp or wvw by the same measure so pondering a double axer but by all accounts this means i *must* also change my traits... really?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Axe offhand won't be much good in pvp or wvw -- you'll be better going axe/mace. If you're running full zerker traits for pve, I doubt that will be optimal for pvp or wvw either.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    Axe offhand won't be much good in pvp or wvw -- you'll be better going axe/mace. If you're running full zerker traits for pve, I doubt that will be optimal for pvp or wvw either.
    Hmmm, I am slowly putting together PVT exotic set for wvw - maybe even full rune set too at least and thinking i'd go towards being tankier with a bit of a kick. Just takes time/effort to get the pvt stuff though i think I can get it all in the temples - that just requires them being cleaned...

If you have full PVT gear then you can probably get away with using a fully-offensive trait set. Have you tried out hammer in wvw? There are at least a couple of people in the guild who swear by hammer warriors for wvw.

Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    If you have full PVT gear then you can probably get away with using a fully-offensive trait set. Have you tried out hammer in wvw? There are at least a couple of people in the guild who swear by hammer warriors for wvw.
    Tried once but keep forgetting as I normally run with the gs in pve then once in a fight its too late... I did do a wonderful full room jump smash that stunned a good 10+ people that same day... But maybe I just need to remember better, hawks I still would like if you could make me a bow - will look out later and send the stuff to you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    All but helmet pvt available in temples if i recall. Remember you can swap to a guest server to grab them.
    there are timers to check so you don't waste your server guest passes, eg www.gw2bear.com or gw2events.ryanfield.ca
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMonster View Post
    hawks I still would like if you could make me a bow - will look out later and send the stuff to you.
    Actually, seems given the nature of the beast - unless I have the materials it will be cheaper to buy the bow... Will check that later.

Here's a guide for DPS-oriented PvE/Dungeon/Fractal players. I haven't read it all, but the build seems to be sound both from a theoretical (math) and practial (playtesting) point of view. It's GW2guru, so expect a combination of people spouting popular but uninformed opinions mixed with savvy but elitist remarks

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Here's a guide for DPS-oriented PvE/Dungeon/Fractal players. I haven't read it all, but the build seems to be sound both from a theoretical (math) and practial (playtesting) point of view. It's GW2guru, so expect a combination of people spouting popular but uninformed opinions mixed with savvy but elitist remarks
    Cheers for that spot squiz, what I often find amusing is that these builds and how they quote one could be infinitesmley more powerful surely only works if you chain everything seemlessly in combination so given I can be more than a little spactastic I might not care quite so much of the finer details.

That said - do you guys carry stat reset books for when dungeoning then for specific trait builds? I have heard phrases that implied this on mumble but never really considered it - they are quite cheap though afai can remember

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Are you suggesting reset mid-dungeon monkey? Seems drastic, and ought only to be necessary for very specific occasions. The books are more expensive (10s?) than the standard retrait (4-5s?)
    Seems a bit drastic. I admit that the current implementation of trait changes sucks compared with GW1 (reset any skills or attributes in a hub area for no cost, save templates for ease of use. I don't care about the cash, they need gold sinks to combat inflation, but I do care about the inconvenience/poor design.
    in answer to your question, no. I try to move traits about when I change weapon, which is ok though imperfect and I often forget.

i note both you and squirrels link favour longbow. I don't think my warrior has ever used one. Is it better than rifle for ranged (grawl and dredge fractal boss and lupi are main times I use range on warrior, so usually single target.)
    Last edited by Xanadu; 05-08-2013 at 12:06 PM.

I think the longbow is primarily used for the F1 firefield and the #3 blast finisher (that is, AOE might stacks), but I do use the longbow as a ranged option every now and then for other reasons as well. The blind is a pretty useful tool and even if you don't want to stack might, other condition classes can use your firefield to apply burning.

I normally and am traited for it use gun in pve but its quite limited comparatively in wvw at least imho. There is no aoe with it for tagging for loot and while the cripple shot is useful when chasing, the stock thwap (5) is fairly useless in wvw so figured bow would be better.

I wasn't necessarily meaning mid-dungeon more before you did a big run/fractal or going zerging in wvw. Re-trait (tokens?) was what I was meaning. If you could carry a cheaper form of simple retrait rather than a 10s book might be nice.

I still have two baelfire runes so the burning arrow one will be happier

Are you suggesting reset mid-dungeon monkey? Seems drastic, and ought only to be necessary for very specific occasions. The books are more expensive (10s?) than the standard retrait (4-5s?)
    Seems a bit drastic. I admit that the current implementation of trait changes sucks compared with GW1 (reset any skills or attributes in a hub area for no cost, save templates for ease of use. I don't care about the cash, they need gold sinks to combat inflation, but I do care about the inconvenience/poor design.
    AFAIK this can't be done -- each character can only use each skill book once. And the grandmaster ones are 2 gold, so it would be pretty drastic.

So I bought an axe and mace (OH) to see what they were like...
    Fun in an answer - there will be numbers either way by a professional but for a button masher noob like myself it certainly feels like I do more damage quicker overall. The skills all work together and mace 5 takes down centaurs in mobs and you can then throw axe and jump in and slaughter them all oh so quickly.
    Kept the same stats as GS/Rifle but change the gs related ones to axe or critical hits - am sure there is a "Better" build overall for that weapon combo but atm am happy enough.

I want to play this build once my lil warrior is 80: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...ut-greatsword/
    Anyone had any experience with it?

Also, are warriors OK running all Berserker gear? Or does it make them 'oh-I-die-so-much' glass cannons? (In general PvE, not WvW or sPvP).

I run full Berserker gear on my Warrior and can't complain. I mean, I do lie down every so often in Fractals because I am bad at avoiding damage, but that's something I can work on (soloing most PvE content works fine though). The increase in damage output is something I don't want to miss.

Axe/Mace with either Greatsword (mobility) or Longbow (might stacking) is my weapon set of choice. For utility skills, my standard setup is Banner of Discipline for improved crit chance and -damage (and a blast finisher on #5, as well as swiftness and fury on demand), For Great Justice and either Shake It Off or Berserker Stance for condition clearance. Sometimes I swap the condition clearance against Banner of Malice for extra power and extra might stacks (F1 on Longbow followed by Longbow #3, banner activation(s), banner #5, FGY for 12-15 stacks of group-wide might, sometimes more depending on party members picking up a banner and using #5 as well).

Shout Warriors were very popular some time ago but personally I cannot comment on the build because I have no experience playing it.