Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks! I'll re-investigate the build and go full zerker then.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinch View Post
    Thanks! I'll re-investigate the build and go full zerker then.
    yeah, as squizz does I am known for lying down on the job as such but if you go around tagging when zerging - high chance of rallying. I went the other route with signets and enjoy a fairly vertical life most of the time in pve. Am building up a suit of pvt armour for wvw and fractals with runes of strength to main power and might (mostly for wvw)
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

One thing I wanted to note is that although my last post argues in favor of might stacking, it might (haha) be a good idea to keep an eye on the composition of the party you are running in. If you have a Guardian that brings a lot of might, you may be better off with Axe/Mace and Greatsword than A/M and Longbow. Every second you are not clobbering your opponent with your axe is a second you lose damage potential. But since we usually don't hold DPS championships, that might be a negligible point to consider.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I see you finally converted to axe/mace monkey! Did the same 2 months ago, works nicely, though may play with mace 5 agin after your comments.

Kinch. I ran a shout warrior for. Few months and it was fine, good survivability but the heals were less good than expected and you sacrificed a bit of damage compared to having a banner. Get full zerker but have a piece or 2 of defensive armour (cheap from karma vendors in Orr) handy to swap in unless you're better at dodging than me and monkey (not hard in my case...).

Keep reading bout warriors and longbow for might stacking. I'm not even sure my warrior has ever used a longbow. May have to invest in one when I get a few more badges of honour.
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Cheers. I've picked axe/mace & GS and went full berserker mode. Having played engineer since the headstart, I have to say I'm loving the crazy damage output and evil mobs dying in a few seconds.

Think I might reset or look at this as dual axe or axe n mace is chuffin lethal and more suited to my zerker rush attack style.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fIAQ...YqSioavBRUNA-e
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Monkey, you might want to look at this thread for PvE Warrior stuff:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...ractals-62513/

Basically, Axe/Axe isn't very good damage-wise, at least not in PvE.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Monkey, you might want to look at this thread for PvE Warrior stuff:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...ractals-62513/

Basically, Axe/Axe isn't very good damage-wise, at least not in PvE.
    I've read the axe axe isn't however... I suspect that is when you are micro managing dps based on ideal situations, and I far from managing to be ideal.

I have however have found on a number of occasions now that leaping in with the f1 twirl and smack then recharging using whirlwind plus 2,3 and 4 (and sometimes triple 1) full recharges it even before the cool down has occurred if more than 1 combatant so I can pretty much kill or tag large/huge numbers of enemies quickly and efficiently plus the spin is moveable (as opposed to 100 blades). GS (in my hands) does not come close to speed of killing plus I am still actually traited for GS and gun when I am leaning more towards axe and bow more often now - so with better tweaks it would be even faster. Mace 4 and 5 have their uses but the cooldowns and longer and I find myself using them in how I play than 4 and 5 of OH axe.

But thank you for linkies; as often as I apparently seem clueless on some details, while I know there might be uber tweaks to maximise builds I *should* run part of me has always disliked ubernerd levels of micromanagement so I might stubbornly out of an obscure sense of denial (or stupidity) ignore them in favour of how I like to play... if that makes sense

Hey, I am the first to tell people to play how the would like to play. Axe/Mace & GS don't require "uber" levels of micromanagement btw, you can actually very easily get into a simple rotation.

Axe/Mace #2, then #4 for Vulnerability, then just auto-attack. That's the basic principle. The Axe chain has amazing damage if you learn not to interrupt Triplechop (by watching the animation, listening to the choppy sounds or noticing the icon changes in your bar).

You can then start to work from there, maybe swap to GS after the initial Vulnerability application for 100 Blades if your enemy is stationary/not facing you, then #5, then switch back to Axe and repeat your chain. Axe/Mace #5 is often used as an initiator use against bosses (even with Unshakable you'll get the first KD) or two control stacked groups of enemies (remember how we pull Chanters around a corner in the Cliffside Fractal?) to reduce damage/keep them in place.

Lateron, you may find GS #3 handy for both avoiding and dealing damage, especially if close to a wall (whirl into obstacles for extra damage). There is always room for improvement.

As I've said above, use what you feel comfortable with. But proper usage of Axe/Mace & GS is not as complicated as you might think.

Hmm, I have never tried running two sorts of melee weapons. Always one melee and one distance.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The advantage of running 2 sets of melee is superior sigil of battle gives you might on weapon swap. Less useful with axe otherwise as the auto attack gives decent damage so you don't need to swap on cool down.
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Also, who says you can't exchange weapons between encounters? I am usually neither traited nor geared for Longbow or condition damage for example, but I will still use it for certain bosses or trash mobs where might stacking is useful. In general however, Warrior excel at melee combat, so why not focus on your core strength?

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    so why not focus on your core strength?
    see earlier comment about not being a build nerd... but I take your point and will ponder on its repercussions within my ability set.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If its a protracted fight where you need to pull back when on low health, I go axe/mace+ranged too. Thinking the 4 champs/Old Tom bits of uncategorised fractal; Bloomhunger; end of Ascalon fractal etc. But for trash melee all the way nowadays (used to swear by GS/rifle - no more)

I don`t entirely agree with squirrel regarding the Warrior not being good for range. The longbow, if properly specced and if using the fire field right, is one of the best AoE Dots I know of. Better yet, the 100% double combo with Stronger Bowstrings means an enemy can easily end up with a minute-long fire from a 1-adrenaline burst. On the single-target side, the rifle can also do some nice damage though I prefer the LB`s debuffs, especially the immobilize and the 5 second blind.

I generally go with an LB and Axe/mace giving good aoe range and stupidly powerful melee attacks. I might get around to posting a build link when I can be bothered, but it is basically 30/0/0/20/20 focusing on damage, longbow stuff, axes and that speed trait. Also Berserker`s and Soldier`s gear because reasons.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't think anyone is saying the warrior isn't good for range, compared with other classes it more than holds its own. The game does give significantly more DPS to melee than range though, probably fairly from a risk/reward perspective, though more arguable from a build/class variety, having fun and playing the game how you want perspective.
    On this note, Mira now has a longbow, just need to figure out how and when to use it. Shoot them with the pointy end, right?

i generally use gun in pve and bow in wvw for aoe as you say but don't trait for either of them deliberately anymore as focussing on melee.

Obscure Node
    Wranksly here: I'd like to plunder your brains for all the knowledge I don't have about my warrior, and I'm after any hints or tips you can give me to improve my warrioricitorial effectiveness.

I'm current running a 30/0/0/10/30 trait build with (Dual Wielding, Axe Mastery, Berserker's Power, Stronger Bowstrings, Warrior's Sprint, Sharpened Axes, Heightened Focus) for solo PvE, but I swap Stronger Bowstrings for Empowered, and Warrior's Sprint for Signet Mastery when I'm in a dungeon.

I run with Axe & Mace / Longbow. I seem to need ranged so much I've never bothered swapping in my Greatsword, which I'm supposed to do apparently, but the dungeon runs I do with you guys seem to benefit from ranged every so often.

My skill bar generally has Healing Surge, For Great Justice, On My Mark, Signet of Might & Signet of Rage, though for dungeons I swap out SoM for Balanced Stance and Signet of Rage for Battle Standard (though I need to learn to use Battle Standard more effectively - I really didn't use Standards when I was levelling and so I don't automatically use them that much.

My gear sucks of course, but I've generally got +power +precision.

Any thoughts? My reading of builds online is that they're almost always built around berserker, but that seems to carry a burden of being really good at dodging and evading.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I run a similar build to you, wranskly, and an not good at dodging!
    Only difference in skills is I tend to run GS as my secondary weapon, swap to rifle for range, as I still have to get used to longbow.
    For utilities, for great justice, banner of precision and usually the stability one. Usually the offensive banners give better boosts than on my mark, swap from precision to complement any other warrior. Signet if rage is usual elite, but will swap to battle standard in tough dungeons, mainly for the res (hello grawl shaman). I carry a second set of armour, full zerk is great if you dodge perfectly and your whole party is specced for DPS, but I usually feel safer dropping in a couple of pieces of soldier, cheap from your nearest temple in Orr. For zerk gear, dungeon tokens or the cheap badges of honour you get from achievement chests.
    Most important, play how you want, this is RPS!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    You don't need to dodge much if enemies die fast. DPS builds are not an e-honor thing, they make all content much easier to complete. Putting any Soldier's on a warrior of all classes in PvE is nothing more than a placebo since they have the highest health and armor already, and in the worst case forces the rest of the team carry your load. Don't blame getting downed on your equipment, or see it as a big personal failure. Just get up and try to get better.

Berserker's equipment is not more expensive than other stat combinations, and you should get a full exotic set on every level 80 by default. Money for that is not going to be an issue once you start to get a feel for the dungeons.