Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    I run full zerker with ruby orbs for pve with axe/axe and gun generally though have oh mace, gs and hammer for the fun of it. WvW or dungeons I run pvt armour with runes of strength for health plus more dmg (overall). I run signets (and signet mastery) in both with shout if i don't need to remove conditions (ie have a friendly guardian). I no longer but a trait in anything ranged. wvw or dungeons I run with bow for aoe being far more useful is majority of wvw though gun sometimes too - for slow primarily (hello grawl fractal)

I may well swap my pvt for soldier gear instead depending as most people see it as better than straight pvt.

You get better at dodging as time goes on - don't worry about it really as we're not the sort to boot you for not being the best at dodging traps - hawks is still here and he has a very unhealthy fascination for rolling in them.
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Confused, monkey: PVT = soldier's gear.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    Confused, monkey: PVT = soldier's gear.
    you and me both - I was also confusing myself mixing up sentinel and invader.

Plus I was (until recently) thinking there was a power + critical dmg + vitality (or toughness) armour - but that cake as ever - is a lie - or that is special drop only armour and fecking rare.

anyway, so I have a "soldiers" set which is made up from 4 orr karma sets, one wvw invader item and one ac item (which semi explains why I was confused.com) please...
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Well yeah don't use that in dungeons.

There is Power/Crit/Toughness, it's called Cavalier's. (Well it's tou++/pow+/crit+, but it's the right three stats at least). There's also Power/vitality/crit, which is Valkyrie.

soldiers? sometimes it makes me slightly less prone to be found sleeping on the job...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    I'm trying really really hard to communicate something here, Monkey. Dungeons are easier if everyone has Berserker gear. There is no next level, practice-until-you-get-there armor.

My view is that what Malawi says is only true if everyone knows the content very well. That is, if you don't know the dungeon inside out, it's not easier for you to be in berserker's gear (either for you, or for the party), since you'll likely be up and down like a yoyo.

It's about margin for error; which, when you get better, you don't need.
    Last edited by jha4ceb; 04-10-2013 at 08:26 AM.

I see... both the points. Perhaps I have been under the mis-apprehension of having more hit points allowing me to sleep less and thus waste less others time and overtime mean my dps is a lot higher.
    Given the amount of onscreen flashes, graphics and animation I rarely see anything bar the exceptionally blatant telegraphing moves until as Saph has said you know them really well.
    I am starting to be a lot better against cof1 and ac3 due to having been doing a lot more. Sometimes however I am like octopus dad and thus having more health stops me being such a revive burden.
    Perhaps I have given the false impression of having been around a long time - I haven't in game, barely nudged the time needed to be good so I occasionally have to take precautions...

Oh and don't forget I don't always have a good grasp of game mechanics as they happen - if you can't do criticals against an opponent then crit dmg boost is useless?

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    It can be a funny one, I'd suggest getting more berserker pieces.

I'd say that in the majority of fights having more damage is waaay more useful than more health, a lot of encounters only start to get tricky at all when fights are lengthened by a lack of damage and entire parties have to dodge over and over again. Less times you make the entire party dodge = more survivability.

Other fights such as subject alpha or lupicus are more than capable of outright killing you regardless of how much health you have thus losing the damage is a much bigger loss than defence.

But I certainly suggest having both suits of armour for different situations and over time weening yourself off of the soldiers gear.

The only non-crit-able boss I can think of in dungeons is the Nightmare Tree on the old TA paths.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMonster View Post
    Oh and don't forget I don't always have a good grasp of game mechanics as they happen - if you can't do criticals against an opponent then crit dmg boost is useless?
    It is, but pretty much everything that isn't a dragon or construct can be critted so for max damage zerker gear is almost always the best option. I find the dogmatic "must have full zerker!" attitude rather tiresome though. Unless you're aiming at speedrunning dungeons or otherwise pushing content there's really no need to min/max in this game and if you're just running dungeons with a group that wants to have fun it doesn't matter if a run takes 15 minutes or 20. If someone feels more comfortable with some defensive stats to cushion the blows when missing the occasional dodge there really is no harm in that.

edit: Turtling up in full soldier gear is probably overdoing it though - if you need 30k HP to survive you might want to look into using more utility skills to counter damage and learn when to dodge rather than try to soak it up using armour and HP.
    Last edited by Skalpadda; 04-10-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Hinteresting... I thought I had detected more survivability when I had been lying down more often once donning my soldiers gear in a given situation. I may have been fooling myself because I suffer from that gw2 disease of having money to spend on stuff so it seems a good idea to get more armour...
    Hmm, I shall therefore *try* to be a better glass cannon and upgrade to be a diamond cannon instead of altering into a iron musket with different armour.
    Still puzzles me that there are so many sigils, runes, armour sets etc out there that aren't actually conducive to a good build...

Speaking of turtling up, I'm trying to decide what to do with my warrior and one thought was to get her some tanky gear, load up with a longbow and warhorn, some shouts and banners and play sort of an invulnerable buff bot in group events. Stacking might and fury on people and stopping them from running around like headless chickens every time a dragon opens it's snout seems like it might be useful but I've never really tried playing support in this game - I just want to try out something different.

Any thoughts or tips you big-brained fellows may have would be very welcome.

Well, shout warriors are getting a buff in the next balance patch; but if it's for dungeons, I'd be surprised if the utility of a support warrior exceeds having another out-and-out DPS warrior, since these still put out a decent amount of buffs. For World vs World, on the other hand, what you describe could be pretty useful.

Not dungeons, I was just thinking open world PvE events (dragons etc), though WvW might be an idea as well. I use my mesmer for dungeons mostly, and the engineer is turning out to be a beast for solo PvE. I like the warrior but I find pure DPS a bit dull so trying to figure out a niche for her.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm with monkey here, although there are some paths I know well enough to go full zerk or close to it(cof1, hotw1-2, se1, coe1-2, TA up, most fracs) I still miss a number of tells due to my aged reflexes and general dimwittedness. Kohler particularly. Many Other paths I have only run a handful of times, so don't really know when to dodge unless there are red circles! Always improving though.
    Im definitely getting better tho, and now will swap between warrior or guard to fill needed role. Actually lady C is now fully kitted out in zerk now so have Mesmer too.
    We're a casual guild, in the main, and apart from the Arah runs before the summer don't do much in the way of build/party optimisation. Most of the time the first 5 people to say yes group up, and that is great, fun, and usually works, TA f/u and frac wipes excepted. Apricot is right though, full zerk might stacking melee DPS parties are optimal and we can aspire towards them. Hopefully as time goes by we can get more experienced with other paths (Arah and hi level fracs), and have more of us able to swap class to benefit the party (despite shitty character based frac reward progression...)
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Obscure Node
    I must say that so far I've found my health in dungeons is pretty binary; either fine or dead, since the bosses hit so hard.

I spent all my knowledge crystals buying some armour upgrades only to find that I had spent about 150 crystals on rare gear (it was all better since I mostly had green berseker gear). I didn't see the other buy tab - I need more COE runs now, or do all the dungeon chit vendors sell berserker warrior gear?

And thanks to Saph - his showing us that heart vendor selling spy kits on Sunday means getting commune skill points in Straits of Devestation and Malchor's Leap has become bearable.

cof does berserker - hence the number of people who will jump on a cof run - though I have also now realised i need a set of zerker for alt... Plus I could also get a nother set of zerker around for runing it rather than orbing it.

Oh a little reminder if you run rune sets to give your breather one too should you be caught in the water without that it will lose the 6th rune as breather replaces helmet (kohl).

Good, roll on home time please.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    COE, COF or Arah; crafting, trading post or WvW tokens are your options for berserker gear.
    Cof is fastest unless you have spare wvw tokens from achievement chests.
    Arah tokens is probably the least speedy option...
    TP is pricey (5g a piece) but price is likely to collapse when they bring out ascended armour (glut of supply from people crafting it if levelling armour smith follows same path as weapon, decrease in demand as its no longer best in class) to about half that.
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet