Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Yeah, it was a valiant effort and I applaud everyone's patience. Next time we try, we should give it a go outside of peak hours if possible.

Network Hub
    I'm somewhat less available during the week, but would be happy to join in whenever I can. Kudos to everyone there though, you all showed tremendous amounts of patience.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Yesterday we tried both the Manor and (later that day) the AC and it worked without issues, so the latest update may have fixed that.

Main problem with AC right now is being in such a highly populated zone. Got all the people levelling in Charr starter zone + all the people camped outside the dungeon trying to get in.

Did Sorrow's Furnace yesterday with the guild and we had no problems. Hopefully the latest fixes have helped.

As I said yesterday, I plan on trying another run this evening (8 p.m. BST) so I'd be happy if someone else wants to do it as well.

I probably should immediatly start looking for a group for the Manor-story mode as well as for the dungeon afterwars, since I'm already Level 49.

Edit: I edited the OP with the new information.
    Last edited by MOKKA; 03-09-2012 at 11:17 AM.

I will be around or that attempt!

I still need to do both

I heard manor is quite short and easy, so if AC still doesn't work then you may still be able to clear it without losing an evening. You're also nearly ready for the level 50 dungeon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    I just hit 30, so... I guess I could join in tonight? I'll need to find where it is though, as I've just been bashing things in the frozen wastes up until now... A quick explore in the Charrlands sounds like it'll get me to where I need to be?
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

Yeah, the dungeon is in the eastern end of the Charr starter area, Plains of Ashford, near the northern border. If you've just hit level 30 you should also receive an in-game email telling you where it is (at least, that happened to me).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    I heard manor is quite short and easy
    Story mode is. Exploration... not so much.

I'm up for AC or anything I can enter (lvl 55). Still haven't done any dungeons yet.

I'm up for giving AC story mode a go, a group of us got through a chunk of it at the weekend but I ran out of time and had to go (which probably wouldn't have been an issue had it not taken such a ridiculous length of time to get in there due to the buggy party system)

Success! After several attempts to get everyone in the same dungeon, and after a few problems at the start we went though it without much of a problem. Thanks for everyone who showed up.

I'm thinking about turning this thread into a 'general Dungeon Story Mode'-Thread of some sort, but I have to think about how to do it properly.

Yay! Once we got inside it was a surprisingly smooth run, barring a couple of daunting moments and an early near-wipe in a fight we weren't prepared for.

The loot was pretty nice - I picked up several greens and blues throughout (plus the gold headpiece reward at the end).

Left to right: NieA7 (necromancer), MOKKA and myself (elementalists), Eir and Garm (Team Garm), Alini and groovychainsaw (guardians).

Getting into the dungeon though, woah boy. After a touch of experimentation we hit upon a couple of theories regarding the party UI, the overflow and multiple dungeon instances. It seemed to improve our luck. I'll write a guide later, if it would help.

We should totally try the exploration mode sometime!

I popped on last night to try and get onto an AC run but with guild chat being fooked I quickly got annoyed and went to play Blood Bowl instead. I want to try and get a group to run tonight about 8pm BST. If you're interested let me know so I can contact you even if guild chat decides to still be buggered! Also someone thats run it before would be handy for that oh so useful "this is whats coming" advice

Got a couple of questions for those who have dungeon experience.

- How important do you think class balance is? I notice two guardians in the picture. Do you feel the overlap of their skills reduced effectiveness? Or do you think the dungeon would be viable with a party of 5 guardians if specced right?

- How hard did you find story mode? I have seen reports indicating that these dungeons are far harder than those in WoW. Do you feel that is actually true, or just hype?

- How long did it take, especially considering wiping and learning the encounters?

Just interested as I'm fast approaching lvl30, and will likely to be trying to arrange a dungeon run or two next week. So I'm looking to make sure I get it arranged properly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Well, I enjoyed myself last night (see big green tank-man, right of frame). As a pretty casual player up until now, it forced me to tighten up my skill selection throughout to improve my capabilities and act more like the tank i knew I was. It was fun getting combos/synergies with others, too, even if it was mostly inadvertent (we didn't choose 'roles' or any of that stuff, just dived in).

It was much harder than PvE, for sure, with opponents with much harder hitting skills and huge health bars (seriously, kinda stupidly tough for most mobs). Whether or not it was harder than a WoW dungeon, I'm not sure. You'd be much more likely to 'wipe' in this as the standard mobs are a much tougher challenge (taking on three at once was usually touch and go for five of us). But then you can all respawn at a nearby checkpoint and go again, with a minor debuff, and the baddies don't respawn, so you're more likely to complete the dungeon than if you wiped in WoW. I died a few times, getting rezzed by others often and occasionally getting killed outright and beaming back in nearby (there are several checkpoints) to run back into battle. The only way you would fail would be if you ended up so nerfed from deaths that you can't compete. Supposedly the 'exploration mode' follow on for this dungeon is much tougher. I could see us failing to get through that if it really is much tougher than this was.

In terms of class balance, i don't think its as important as it would be in say, WoW. As all of us can heal, pull, nerf, buff etc. depending on weapons/skills/traits, it's really up to the players to fulfil a role. I, for one, tended to go toe to toe with everything and smash heals/debuffs down. The other guardian was mostly hitting ranged, using AoEs etc. (i think, they were a little asura person, who kept getting lost by my feet! ;-D). I adapted throughout the dungeon by switching weapons/skills etc. to be more resilient. It really helped me tighten up a good guardian build compared to my usual unthinking clicking in PvE (another good GW2 thing - quick change flexibility!).

As an example of the sort of strategies needed, in one of the best boss fights, I pulled one half of a boss couple off to one side and kept them occupied whilst the others went to town on the other boss (they were more powerful together, so pulling them apart was useful, and I felt like i was performing a good, tanky role but holding one boss off). So there's definitely some team strategy to be employed, and some foreknowledge of the dungeon made it easier. As an example of more annoying design, the final boss had a huge area of effect smackdown that was difficult to see over our own AoE spam, and it instakilled me 7-10 times in the final fight, which was a bit annoying when I thought I was being excellently defensive most of the rest of the time.

As for time, about 2 hours would be reasonable, i think, for your first run through. Bearing in mind it took us nearly 1/2 an hour on top of that to all appear in the same dungeon instance, too... (we finally cracked it when we were all on the same overflow server, then one party member went in to the dungeon, then we waited for a prompt asking us if we wanted to join them. Only one needs to run through the gate, it seems...)

Most importantly, it was great fun, with a nice group not being too hardcore about it, and we battled through most bosses very nicely, whilst coming close to complete failure a couple of times. So the difficulty is probably pretty well pitched (for me!). It's been a while, but I definitely enjoyed myself more that I used to in some of the WoW dungeon runs, although that could be more down to the excellent company I had this time around ;-).
    Last edited by groovychainsaw; 04-09-2012 at 04:00 PM.
    Benevolent dictator of the RPS Blood Bowl Divisions of Death - Join us!

Quote Originally Posted by desvergeh View Post
    - How important do you think class balance is? I notice two guardians in the picture. Do you feel the overlap of their skills reduced effectiveness? Or do you think the dungeon would be viable with a party of 5 guardians if specced right?
    Bring the player not the class. Also, each class can play very differently - any combination of dps, support or dps/healing support/healing so you shouldn't feel gimped if you have 5 of the same class. Diversity has its advantages but I don't think it's all too necessary.

- How hard did you find story mode? I have seen reports indicating that these dungeons are far harder than those in WoW. Do you feel that is actually true, or just hype?
    It is hard, especially if you are an ex-wow player. You need to learn that 1. there are no such things as tank, healer, aggro 2. you need to dodge out of harm's way all the time 3. you have to be a team-player (keep an eye on your mates, revive them asap, use skills that grant boons/remove conditions preferably for the whole group etc).

Only did AC story mode, but some of the trash packs were quite challenging (silly 3 rangers oneshotting everything with spike trap) even more than some bosses. You need to figure out the gimmick of each boss fight but it only takes a bit of practice. I heard explorable mode is even worse, so from what I saw the most important part is that your group learns how to play together.

- How long did it take, especially considering wiping and learning the encounters?
    I think it took us a couple hours to do AC story with a few wipes at the Lovers and that 3-ranger pack.

Got a couple of questions for those who have dungeon experience.

Overlap in skills wasn't that much of a problem, since one guardian used a scepter and the other one used melee weapons (at least from what I saw), so their roles were a bit different. It might be possible to do a run with a whole Guardian-group but this would certainly require a bit of planning. But I'm guessing here, I think someone needs to find it out by trying it.

The enemies in the story mode were certainly harder then in the normal PvE. They hit harder, they took more hits to kill and they usually came in balanced groups. I can't commentate on how hard these dungeons are compared to WoW, since I never played WoW. But judging from my experiences with GW1, and I think it might be better to compare the dungeons in GW2 with the endgame areas from GW1, simply because both were essentially created by the same people, I think the story mode in AC was comparable to a high-level zone in GW1. Which means that you can get in trouble if you simply rush forward without paying attention to popups and positioning. But if you try to pull enemies into areas which you've already cleared and try not to get trapped in a narrow passage, you should be fine.

Judging from how ridiculous some of the harder endgame areas in GW1 were (some areas in the Domain of Anguish for example), my guess is that the explorable mode is probably going to be a completely different beast. This also goes along with what I heard from other players.

I would like to try out the explorable mode someday, just to see how good of a comparison this acutally is.

I think about one-and a half hours or something. I don't know when we started because it took some time to get into the dungeon, so it might've been a bit longer.

I don't think I'm all that qualified to talk without more experience (and I've never played WoW), but the stated aim of ArenaNet is that these dungeons can be done with any combination of classes and, given the variety of skills and self-sufficiency available to every class, I can very much see how that would work.

I would say that condition removal is a must (preferably the kind that help allies too), and combo fields - any combo fields - improve your efficiency dramatically. Always try to help allies who are downed right away, leaving them to sit out the fight or die only makes it harder for you. One or two rez skills on the team are handy for this but not necessarily required as the waypoints (in Catacombs at least) are not far from each boss fight.

Mostly though it's being careful, noting how enemies behave, pulling enemies with care and reacting (or changing your build) as needed. Oh yes, and watch out for traps.

In all it took us about 30 minutes to access the dungeon, then 90-120 minutes to complete story mode. That's with one full party wipe that I remember, which wasn't even against a boss but 3 veterans at once. There were other close calls though.

EDIT: And everyone has answered before me already My input, fwiw.
    Last edited by Screwie; 04-09-2012 at 04:18 PM.