Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Nationalism and You!

I see a bit of it goes on around the forums already, so I figured maybe we should have a thread for it, link things your proud of your country for, or things your not happy with about your country I guess?

Remeber the forum rules and keep it civil!

I'll start with: The Nuclear Weapons are morally indefensible speech made by our then priminister. (audio here)

And on a sillier note, this:

Winning anything is such a massive deal, that we need also parody it!

So what about your country?

We are the least failed country. Again. Suck it. Especially you, Swedes.

Are you able to explain what that means? I've only had a quick look at that site, but it doesn't really explain what it is they're talking about.

According to Wiki, FSI is measured like this:

The index's ranks are based on twelve indicators of state vulnerability - four social, two economic and six political. The indicators are not designed to forecast when states may experience violence or collapse. Instead, they are meant to measure a state's vulnerability to collapse or conflict. All countries in the red (Alert, FSI of 90 or more), orange (Warning, FSI of 60 or more), or yellow (Moderate, FSI of 30 or more) categories display some features that make parts of their societies and institutions vulnerable to failure. Some in the yellow zone may be failing at a faster rate than those in the more dangerous orange or red zones, and therefore could experience violence sooner. Conversely, some in the red zone, though critical, may exhibit some positive signs of recovery or be deteriorating slowly, giving them time to adopt mitigating strategies

ah right, top stuff then!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    I refer you to Bill Bailey:

Also being Scottish (and hence a massive part of those stats! - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/we...burger-1272642) I get to have not only British national pride but Scottish national pride (which is generally a lot easier to handle as it mostly involves wearing a kilt and taking the piss out of the English, with bonus points for doing both at the same time!)

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    We invented the modern torpedo, we have one the cleanest seas, our handball team is among the best in the world, many of our cultural heritages are under UNESCO protection, Nikola Tesla was born and raised in our country and he was half Croatian.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    We owned half the world, bitch. Now we're like fantasy dwarves, grumbling over the lost glories of our fallen empire.

But we still have fish & chips.

The NHS. It's pretty awesome. Yeah, has some problem of course, any system as complex and big as that will have issues but in general its a fucking amazing institution.
    I have a new book out. Fancy some cynical fantasy comedy? Check it out:
    http://amzn.to/1oVrKlx

Read my other stories: http://tessstenson.blogspot.co.uk/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    We were some of the least brutal colonists. Hooray for relativism.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 23-08-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stense View Post
    The NHS. It's pretty awesome. Yeah, has some problem of course, any system as complex and big as that will have issues but in general its a fucking amazing institution.
    Shame it's in the process of being dismantled by the government we elected. I say we, I mean the retards I share this country with, I voted labour because despite their many many flaws, their base ideology isn't inherently evil.

Here are some cool things my country has produced to counter balance the bitter rage:

Winston-Churchill.jpg

I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    Only because we had much less time to fuck things up. Also, there's little incidents like the genocide that wiped out about 80% of the Hereros, which our government tried to ignore for the longest time and now does everything in its power to avoid compensation payments. So "less brutal" is a very relative term.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    I dont mean to make myself look cool by giving unconventional thoughts unacceptable to most but......

Seriously, after more than half a century of peaceful co-existence (among nations of the First and Second World at least), isn't it a bit naive to still believe in Nationalism? What are geopolitics and ethnic groups meaning to us?

But on the other hand, I am proud about my country. We achieved the dramatic economic progression since the 1980s, which is comparable with the Industrial Revolution. Europe started it, North America followed, and then the Japanese, now we achieved it too!! Even you westerners design most of the thing, we are the one manufacturing the final products, for every consumer in the whole world. Made in China prevails, Long live the Made in China!!

I am typing this post with my Made in China Dell XPS.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    Only because we had much less time to fuck things up. Also, there's little incidents like the genocide that wiped out about 80% of the Hereros, which our government tried to ignore for the longest time and now does everything in its power to avoid compensation payments. So "less brutal" is a very relative term.
    I forgot the cynical tags.

Also I just realized that this isn't a joke thread.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    I forgot the cynical tags.
    I was aware you weren't being serious, I just wanted to give some context to your statement for those unfamiliar with the (fortunately) short history of the German colonies.

The palm oil industry, of course! Suck it, Indonesia!

But really, there was a time that the badminton players from this fine little country were just so based like Indonesia and Denmark were. And it's still is. And oh, Nicol's pretty boss in Squash
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    @ Voon

Nickname "Duracell Bunny?" Ha!

Though sadly reminded me of squasg defector Peter Nicol who (understandably, really) ran off to England for more funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    The palm oil industry, of course! Suck it, Indonesia!

But really, there was a time that the badminton players from this fine little country were just so based like Indonesia and Denmark were. And it's still is. And oh, Nicol's pretty boss in Squash
    I spent my first year of university living in halls next to a group of third year Malaysian students.

They were very nice people and their food smelled lovely.
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Proud

- Housing the most diverse populace on earth without killing one another.
    - Being responsible for just about every major technological innovation for the last century.
    - Developing musical and artistic styles that have defined and dominated the last century.
    - Joyriding on the moon.

Not Proud

- Militarizing the third world in a 60-year red scare.
    - Playing marionette-master with Latin America.
    - Slavery, Jim Crow and a legacy of institutionalized racism.
    - Reality Television
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    That's a good list. I'd have to agree with all. I'd probably list the space program as a whole on there, rather than just the moon. Voyager, Pioneer, Viking, Hubble, Pathfinder, Curiosity, Galileo, Cassini-Huygens, Kepler, Mars Odyssey, and Chandra , just to name a few.