Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

I Prefer Round-based to MMO FPS

After a good year with Planetside 2.

Don't get me wrong, to me it's more exciting to game with a larger group of players in MMO. The issue is player count.

I am living in different time-zone from most players of Planetside 2 who I believe are mostly in the west. For connectivity reason I cannot game with Europeans through EU servers. With nowadays technology, Internet is still pretty much geographically divided that you have to establish a direct cable connection to a zone for that connectivity to be good enough for gaming. Connection to Europe requires some rather complicated rerouting, so ping is too high. Connection to North America through optical fiber cable on the sea bed of the Pacific Ocean is at least acceptable for gaming for most of the game.

Result is I only encounter enough number of players during Saturday within the few hours around noon to play with satisfactory experience. Today is my long week. When I was back to my home town from work in the city with half and an hour of commuting, it's already 2p.m. Most have already left the game so I don't even bother to go to any cyberbar to play, where minimum consumption is an hour rate.

Round-based shooters, on the other hand, never give me this problem. Even the games are generally populated with the same pattern I observed from Planetside 2, once I get in a round with 32 players populating a Bad Company 2 round, I don't worry about adding more players in that round since the game had been well designed to entertain the players in the round well with on-going player count. Of course, population of those games also affect experience, say, for Bad Company 2 I always wanted to play Conquest in Laguna Alta but I generally couldn't find a server with sufficient population during the time I could play, during nights from Monday to Friday. Yet above all, I still managed to play Bad Company 2 every weekday's night.

I hope Sony would acknowledge this issue and start server operation over here.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I just remembered Sony is a Japanese company. The fact that they don't set Asian servers is a ridiculous region-dividing asshattery.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    I just remembered Sony is a Japanese company. The fact that they don't set Asian servers is a ridiculous region-dividing asshattery.
    Oh yeah. Ping of games which are run by Japanese servers are very low. Actually any server running in East / Southeast Asia is so much welcome.

I wonder if bandwidth cost is a factor for such decision. I recently read that Google abandoned a major development plan of running a data center in Hong Kong. Google didn't confirm anything except discontent over rocketing land price (but damn they already bought the piece of land in Hong Kong, maybe they sold it for some quick profit like those speculators are doing?). Speculations are, however, that Google may be seriously worried the already high and yet still being inflating bandwidth cost there, largely thanks to telecom facilities there being monopolized by PCCW. I learnt that when someone tried to rent a Battlefield 3 server in Hong Kong but soon gave up exactly due to this problem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I'm guessing in Planetside 2's case it's probably the merits of popularity. I get the impression that the popularity of FPS games in Europe and NA far outweighs their popularity in Asia, and even then Planetside 2 doesn't attract enough people to run that many servers.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    SOE is not in Japan. They are in San Diego California.

They also had to make deals with different companies to manage the servers in different territories I believe... one was some German ISP for EU or something.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by mickygor View Post
    I'm guessing in Planetside 2's case it's probably the merits of popularity. I get the impression that the popularity of FPS games in Europe and NA far outweighs their popularity in Asia, and even then Planetside 2 doesn't attract enough people to run that many servers.
    It's not like they even tried, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    It's not like they even tried, though.

(Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-