Thread: Distant Worlds

Obscure Node

Distant Worlds

I notice this on sale at Matrix/Slitherine (never thought I'd put those words together in a sentence!).

I like the idea of a deep space based 4x game. Would people recommend it? Is it worth getting the expansions or is the base game enough to get a good taste for the game?

Graham

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Never played it. It looks nifty, but make sure to look up what the download rules are. I know MatrixGames at least used to use a service that has the "extended downloads" as an optional dealy (pay a premium to be able to download the game you bought for a whole year!) and there may be DRM on top of it.

The former obviously isn't a huge issue if you archive it yourself, but it is pretty shit compared to most services these days.

All that being said: I almost always gravitate back to Galactic Civilizations 2 or Space Empires 5, depending on if I want an offensive or defensive oriented game (SE5's chokepoints make an interstellar Maginot line VERY effective), and a few of the more recent titles to come out in the genre have done really interesting things regarding automation so that you can be more of a galactic emperor than a galactic bookkeeper (stuff like having planets automatically improve themselves based on what you want the world to be doing, being able to automate colonization by picking a planet and the AI building a ship and sending it over, being able to just say "I need X Imperius Class Star Destroyers in this system" and the AI optimally using your shipyards throughout your empire to get them there in a short amount of time).
    Last edited by gundato; 09-12-2013 at 06:34 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    tl;dr version: Yes, get it now.

longer version: Simply put the best 4x space game ever made. Massive, a bit obtuse (there is a learning curve), highly customizable (you can automate most everything) - it has pretty much everything. Great exploration, expansion possibilities, great diplomacy, war, pirates, events, personalities...it's killer. It's also huge. At the very least get the base game and the first expansion (Shakuri, I think), but I recommend the entire package. It's the only 4x game where you could play as just one small ship in a larger empire to doing virtually everything in that empire. It's costly, a bit dense and it's going to require some effort to get into it. But once you do, it puts all other space 4x games to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Granath View Post
    tl;dr version: Yes, get it now.

longer version: Simply put the best 4x space game ever made. Massive, a bit obtuse (there is a learning curve), highly customizable (you can automate most everything) - it has pretty much everything. Great exploration, expansion possibilities, great diplomacy, war, pirates, events, personalities...it's killer. It's also huge. At the very least get the base game and the first expansion (Shakuri, I think), but I recommend the entire package. It's the only 4x game where you could play as just one small ship in a larger empire to doing virtually everything in that empire. It's costly, a bit dense and it's going to require some effort to get into it. But once you do, it puts all other space 4x games to shame.
    Agreed, grab it now. I bought it for full price, very pricey but so worth it. It is hard to get the hang of initially but so worth it.

Obscure Node
    how does it compare to say, aurora 4x?

I'm intrigued to find the player overlap between obtuse free 4X Ascii game Aurora and legendarily expensive 4X game Distant Worlds.

(I bought Distant Worlds and bounced off it, then I picked up the first two expansions and bounced off it twice more. It's either a job or a movie, depending on how much you automate it. I didn't care for it at all.)

Can't say I ever really got into the game. Everything I did felt meaningless. Do I need this gas mined? I dunno. Guess there's no harm in mining it anyway. How much of that shit I have? I dunno. What happens if I run out? Dunno. There may well be a magnificent game in there but it was hard to reach. For me at least.
    Read more here (On hold) or on Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    On the Space 4X angle, DUngeons of the Endless made me finally give Endless Space a shot

Keep in mind this is a VERY limited exposure, but I really like it. I am a bit concerned that some of the research times aren't balanced and it is way too easy to get a shitty start (after 30 turns I didn't have much), but I acknowledge that might be that I am out of practice and need to get used to the rules. I do like having the whole tech tree available at the start, but it would also be nice if there were more synergy (something few 4x games do).

The combat is a nice mix of automated and controlled. In theory, I love micromanaging my combat. In practice, after the first dozen times I just auto-resolve. This lets me manage while still being able to have multiple fights per turn.

And the interface is gorgeous.

All in all: I like it. I think they have a lot of great ideas, although I am not sure how the pacing will work out. And I am really looking forward to their fantasy/terrestrial 4x Endless Fantasy or whatever.

The biggest thing I think they got right: Decoupling upgrades from the system (for the most part). Primarily, you improve the quality of a system/planet through your hero governor (you can specialize planets and there are a few general improvements, but it is nowhere near as advanced as many 4x titles). This works very well with the GalCiv/MOO style galaxy map in that even losing a system isn't too big of a detriment as you can still re-allocate many of those bonuses to a different world. Gets rid of a lot of that "I NEED to keep this world" while still keeping each individual system/world valuable (a governor who can triple your science output works best in a system with high science output, for example)
    Last edited by gundato; 14-12-2013 at 02:39 AM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

As for Distant Worlds, the Addons really add to the Game (at least the first two, i have no Experience with the last Addon).
    This makes it quite expensive.
    Nonetheless it is one of the top complex 4x Space Games.

But if you have not played it yet,try :

Master of Orion 2
    : turnbased
    + graphically aged but imhO still the Classic 4x Space Game , well rounded in all Aspects.
    + Dirt Cheap
    - Old game ,if you do not get it from GoG you will have to tweak a bit to get it to run.

as to the other mentioned 4x Games:

Space Empires 4 : Turnbased
    + Gigantic Techtree ,more than any other Game,you can build a lot of Stuff ,Hover Tanks,Time Manipulation Cannons,even Ringworlds and Dyson Spheres.
    - Ai has a hard Time using all that Tech correctly.
    - Late Game can be a Grind/Micromanagement Nightmare.

Galciv 2 : turnbased
    + Ok Techtree
    + Streamlined Interface
    + In Comparison a good AI
    - Space Battles are *very* simple,essentially three damage Colors vs three defense Colors.
    If you like to tinker with Ship designs,avoid this one.

Space Empires 5 : turnbased with Realtime Battles ,3D
    + similar gigantic Techtree as SE 4
    + realtime Space Battles
    - Ai still stooooopid
    - Late Game Grind
    - emulates an old Version of Directx ,without a strong Cpu you will experience crippling Fps drops.
    - Parts of Diplomacy are broken
    Great Search Engine for Game bargains:
    http://isthereanydeal.com/?by=price:asc