Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Steam Greenlight

So, I just discovered Steam Greenlight... Seems like a nice idea to me. The community wants a game, votes it, and it gets to Steam. What are your opinions about it?

Here's Valve's explanation:

What is Steam Greenlight?

Steam Greenlight is a new system that enlists the community's help in picking some of the next games to be released on Steam. Developers post information, screenshots, and videos for their game and seek a critical mass of community support in order to get selected for distribution. Steam Greenlight also helps developers get feedback from potential customers and start creating an active community around their game as early in the development process as they like.

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    My opinion is that if you don't vote for Project Giana you're a heartless bastard that should die by fire.

As it stands now, it's bloody horrible. Yeah, there's a bunch of nice-looking indie titles... But then there's A) a metric shitton of terrible crap, B) games that someone else has made and C) freeware games, because it does in no way control who can put up what. Hell, they have OpenTTD there! And the description even says something like "this is open source, and I didn't make this, but I want this on Steam pretty please". Jesus christ. One was some Vietnamese FPS game, looking nice... and then the last line of the description reads "PS. I have asked the producers and they're OK with this" (or something like that).

It's completely uncontrolled, cluttered mess.

Edit: Hahahaha the discussion forum is made of purified awesome. Counter-Strike 2!!!11
    Last edited by Velko; 30-08-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Activated Node
    You'd expect it to be filled with crap in the first few hours - the real test will be to see if the weighting algorithms in the back-end will start to filter the stuff that has no chance from things people might find interesting. This kind of system has been done before, so it's mostly a solved problem - the question is just if Steam will get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Edit: Hahahaha the discussion forum is made of purified awesome. Counter-Strike 2!!!11
    Oh dear god.
    I should've known better. Goodbye faith in humanity.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Ha, screw you guys! You wouldn't know a good thing if it tried seducing you anyhow!

Oh god. It's too funny.

Anyhow, I've up-voted TrackVerse, Little Racers STREET, Cute Things Dying Violently, Project Giana and Dino Run SE. On top of that, I've favourited Perpetuum, Flowstorm and Gear Up. Of those last three, Gear Up has a great art style and looks like a fun vehicular combat game, Perpetuum looks like a decent mech shooter and Flowstorm gets my "Best on show...at the moment" award as an arcadey racing game. Plus points on that one for having a level editor.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 30-08-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Seduce Me is one of the few sort of interesting games there.
    I wonder how Valve plans to counter snap judgments, anti-anime downvotes and stuff like that.

Miasmata caught my attention with its survival horror involving cartography and microscopes. Watch the trailer, but skip to 3:00, that's where it gets interesting.

Minecraft clones, form here to the horizon.

Seduce Me has been banned. Here's another one that's not going to last long.

And look! It's Fly'n!
    Last edited by LTK; 30-08-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Here are the ones I'm really rooting for:

Signal Ops This may very well be one of the most original ideas I've ever seen. At the same time, it kind of reminds me of The Sting!

Children of Liberty

Residue

Venusian Vengeance I watched this one on TIGSource for a while. This guy's made a lot of freeware games, and I respect his work, and think he deserves to have at least one game get on to a large digital distributor.

Waiting for Horus Another one I watched on TIGSource. The devs are pretty cool dudes, they had regular play sessions for a while, and the game's got a great aesthetic.

Will Fight For Food Great game with some good humor. I wish it were quite a bit longer, but I really liked it.

Hoodwink

AirBuccaneers

NEStalgia

McPixel It's a clear parody, but you can feel the love that went into making said parody.

Mutant Mudds Let's prove Steam wrong on this decision. The game looks awesome.

Organ Trail

And ones I just found really interesting:

Saturday Morning RPG

Legends of the Old West

International Racing Squirrels

Enola

The Intruder

DramaGame Probably much more interesting in theory than in practice.

Aril

8bit MMO

Gear Up

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Seduce Me has been banned.
    It was less offensive than some of the fucking disgusting 2D games already up on Steam.

Anyway Greenlight is already an entertaining circus.

Organ Trail and Slenderman source I rated up. Organ Trail looks pretty humurous and Slenderman Source I've been wanting to try. 8bit MMO looks pretty interesting too but it looks a lot like Realm of a Madd God, which I never played :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Secrets of Grindea looks interesting. Basically a SNES RPG with co-op, ala Secret of Mana.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    This is classic Valve trolling,

2009: "You cannot imagine how much clutter we get to filter from"
    2010: "You truly cannot imagine how much clutter we get to filter from"
    2011: "You REALLY cannot imagine how much clutter we get to filter from"
    2012: "Announcing Steam Greenlight!"
    Last edited by pakoito; 30-08-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    It was less offensive than some of the fucking disgusting 2D games already up on Steam.

I think you mean mobile ports.

Other games that RPS has covered also appear: Octodad, The Real Texas, and Project Zomboid (although I don't need to tell you about the last one).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    The first thing I clicked on was Air Buccaneers. Full of comments from people accusing it of being a copy of Guns of Icarus.

Yeah, because a game from 2003 is totally a copy of a game released in 2010. Plagiarism cares nothing for your petty notions of chronology.

So, from that I deduce that it's a Steam community feature. Which, unfortunately, involves the Steam community.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    So, from that I deduce that it's a Steam community feature. Which, unfortunately, involves the Steam community.
    I giggled.

I'm actually not up on the indie scene (only two indie games I'd want to see on Steam are both aparently on the way already), so if their's a game the RPS community wants to see on Steam, could you state it's name and I'll go vote for it. Obviously the more people who agree with your pick the better.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post

EDIT: Taken down as I posted it

"Big Nigs Over the Border Racing"

No really...
    Last edited by trjp; 30-08-2012 at 10:47 PM.