Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Wow. Someone posted S4League. What da fuq.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Nutmangler View Post
    8bit MMO looks pretty interesting too but it looks a lot like Realm of a Madd God, which I never played :P
    8bit MMO is a lot less Realm of the Mad God and a lot more like Ultima Online, which is the closest comparison I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    I'm actually not up on the indie scene (only two indie games I'd want to see on Steam are both aparently on the way already), so if their's a game the RPS community wants to see on Steam, could you state it's name and I'll go vote for it. Obviously the more people who agree with your pick the better.
    Signal Ops. Definitely Signal Ops. Looks f**king fantastic. That and The Real Texas, Organ Trail, Children of Liberty, Venusian Vengeance, and Hoodwink. Definitely my top picks so far.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've been pretty scant with my upvotes - only for games I consider to be something people on Steam might actually be missing

That's Qrth-Phyl (because the developer is awesome), Immortal Defense, Dino Run SE (REALLY!), DRM (another 'because the developer is awesome' choice), Racing Squirrels (just for the sheer brio of it) and Project Giana (because I was testing something and you can't unrate things once you've rated em!)

Game's I'm looking to appear on there would be SpellCaster 1&2, Escape Goat and all the Radian titles - my guess is they'll appear soon and you should vote for them all.

It's looking like right now, 1% is around 1000. I'm going off of one of the games had 800 favorites, so upvotes would theoretically be anywhere from 150 to 200% of that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Cast my first vote for Kinetic Void (Freelancer-like space sim utilizing procedural generation; successful Kickstarter).

And, uh, Wizardry 8. That can't be legit. Surely it would just come to Steam through regular channels (if it weren't out in limbo land).

Browsing the selection* I am strongly reminded of browsing the computer fairs of my youth, what with all the awesome box art attached to potentially extremely shonky games.

*browsing, by the way is a nightmare, how are they ordered? Why can't I sort by name or have a list view and aaaaaaaaargh

Quote Originally Posted by amateurscientist View Post
    *browsing, by the way is a nightmare, how are they ordered? Why can't I sort by name or have a list view and aaaaaaaaargh
    You forgot to mention how many times different games seem to repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    You forgot to mention how many times different games seem to repeat.
    Yes. That too!

Also, I keep clicking thumbs up and the list of things I need to 'review' keeps getting bigger. Going through the whole pile looks to be a task of Sisyphean proportions.
    Last edited by amateurscientist; 31-08-2012 at 12:31 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    So, from that I deduce that it's a Steam community feature. Which, unfortunately, involves the Steam community.
    This pretty much sums it up. The Steam community is a massive melting pot of "HNNNNG WAR!" gamers, 13 year old kids, the general gamers, the avant-garde artgamers, the strategists, MLG PRO NOSCOPE crowd, and every shade in between. Steam Greenlight is nothing like the community content creation stuff (Steam Workshop) where actual effort is required to contribute. It's going to be filled with absolute rubbish for ages.

In any event though, while this is probably a good thing for getting other games exposure (ignoring the blatant abuse, I mean suggesting Dungeon Keeper? It's on GOG!), it's clear that Valve are trying to corner every... um, corner of the gaming market with their distribution platform. I guess it'll only fuel the 'No Steam, no sale!" chanting, which is unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    This pretty much sums it up. The Steam community is a massive melting pot of "HNNNNG WAR!" gamers, 13 year old kids, the general gamers, the avant-garde artgamers, the strategists, MLG PRO NOSCOPE crowd, and every shade in between. Steam Greenlight is nothing like the community content creation stuff (Steam Workshop) where actual effort is required to contribute. It's going to be filled with absolute rubbish for ages.
    This.

I can't begin to describe how pissed I am that Slenderman games galore are each getting more votes than games that genuinely look awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    As it stands now, it's bloody horrible. Yeah, there's a bunch of nice-looking indie titles... But then there's A) a metric shitton of terrible crap, B) games that someone else has made and C) freeware games, because it does in no way control who can put up what. Hell, they have OpenTTD there! And the description even says something like "this is open source, and I didn't make this, but I want this on Steam pretty please". Jesus christ. One was some Vietnamese FPS game, looking nice... and then the last line of the description reads "PS. I have asked the producers and they're OK with this" (or something like that).

It's completely uncontrolled, cluttered mess.

Edit: Hahahaha the discussion forum is made of purified awesome. Counter-Strike 2!!!11
    Except that idiot posts like "please put minecraft on Steam even though I'm not from Mojang" get taken down pretty sharpish.

Your problems stem from there not being enough there. Soon the good stuff will rise to the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Seems like it's impossible to actually go through the list because it randomizes/shuffles as you go through. Up voted Project Zomboid and Towns, couldn't really be bothered slogging through the rest though.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Network Hub
    Just when you thought Steam couldn't get any uglier...

Clicking on that image gives you this...

Frames. Gross. I guess the masses are not allowed to use tabs...
    Last edited by baby snot; 31-08-2012 at 06:28 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Am I alone who sees a dearth of strategy game? Filtering to "strategy", you barely get three pages and half of them seem to be miscategorized (platformers? top-down RPGs?) or TDs.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post
    Seems like it's impossible to actually go through the list because it randomizes/shuffles as you go through. Up voted Project Zomboid and Towns, couldn't really be bothered slogging through the rest though.
    Eggggh that's about the worst part. 14 pages might as well be 3000 pages since nothing stays put. There was one game I wanted to upvote but accidentally pressed back on the Steam browser. I went through three pages in either direction twice and could not locate the game again! Eventually filtered down to RPGs, which was just four pages. It only took me about 10 times paging back and forth within the four pages before I could NAIL THAT SUCKA.

Just for the record, my votes up
    La Mulana - Because it looks polished. I wanted it on Wii years ago but it never materialized.
    Mecho Wars: Desert Ashes - Because the first Mecho Wars was a bargain bin title (bought mine for $1 on GamersGate) that captured a lot of what was good about Advance Wars on GBA and NDS.
    Tales of Illyria - Being advertised as an RPG medieval take on Oregon Trail. Right on, ok.
    Children of Liberty - 2.5D stealth platformer with animations evocative of Aladdin on Sega Genesis / Mega Drive.
    Saturday Morning RPG - Amusing enough concept. Hope that works in execution.
    Project Giana - Can't get enough platformers, no sirreebob
    WazHack - side scrolling roguelike with amusing bits. Played some on Android. Had a lot of fun with poisoned water.

My vote down:
    DLC Quest - had potential, but turned out as a limp, short experience. Had it from Indie Royale. Game has no depth. A few joyful moments at the start and precious nothing else. Might as well sell us 'You Have to Burn the Rope."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baby snot View Post
    Just when you thought Steam couldn't get any uglier...
    Clicking on that image gives you this...
    Gross.
    Which is surprising... why? Then again, if that stupid Unemployment Quest, which was just stock RPG Maker VX assets with a crap storyline tacked on can get through Kickstarter, why not this?

Of course there's going to be a load of crap. Every man and his dog (or 13 year old kid and Game Maker) will be submitting their stuff.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Re: The Fall(en)

There's a time and place for brief art games on any topic. Steam ain't one of them.

Steam Greenlight: Come sift through our garbage.

Network Hub
    Sorry guys. Editing second image for clarification. I was not talking about the specific game. I was talking about the use of frames...

So, yeah, I'm doing this. (Gratuitous link).

I'm not even sure why as it doesn't bother me if I'm on Steam or not as I'm not exactly in this to make money. However, I guess part of me thought that if nothing else, it's worth trying just to see what does and does not work about Greenlight for me. If I can get on Steam at the end of it, that's even better but I'm not going to cry if it doesn't happen. I do OK as is.

And erm, yeah. Thoughts from the other end.

Submissions are nice. They're quick, easy and fairly undemanding. Formatting is a pain in the tits though. Valve also strip links out so it does make punting traffic around elsewhere more difficult. As there's no ModDB style news/updates segment for you to use, keeping a running commentary is messy and there's no reasonable way to link to an external site to do it there. Awkward.

I'm still not sure what purpose thumbs down actually serve. Surely if you don't want a game on Steam, the easiest way is to ignore it and it let it die of its own accord? But I dunno, being downrated doesn't bother me so much but it seems like a negative step where one isn't actually needed. Also having a thumbs down on collections seems well, why do that?

The Steam Community is very much what you make of it. It's dead, dead easy to pick out and point at the worst examples because it's Spufageddon but that's not fair. There's a lot of very enthusiastic and overall very nice people on there. They're not all mental loonbuckets who want CODBLOPS4000 on there, just that the discussions tab is obviously kind of a draw for those sort of people. That's easy to ignore though, just don't open the discussion tab.

Comment moderation is good! Obviously it's open to massive abuse from page owners but when within 30 seconds there's people dropping link spam having a quick and clean way to remove that is good. Also, I don't see why anyone should tolerate openly abusive comments. That said, if you delete a comment just because it's negative, you're probably a dick.

The amount needed to automatically shift into pending is obscenely high for most indies I'd imagine. I've got what I'd consider to be a reasonable profile and a fair few votes for the tiny niche games that I make and I've got no chance of making that number I don't think. But we'll see when I release in a few weeks how that differs. Having somewhere you can point to when people say "will these games be on Steam?" and you can go "well, if you vote for them, maybe..." can't not be handy but yeah, large numbers. Very large.

I'm still not sure how I feel about turning submissions into Valve's Got Talent despite all this. It being the sole route is still something I'm not entirely comfortable with but it's there now and the other route is closed so... but it does have people thinking "fuck it, you know, I will throw that out there" and I don't see that as a bad thing. Maybe throwing the game out there will bottle the lightning for a moment for the right game at the right time and that wouldn't or couldn't happen elsewhere?

Discovery is ridiculously shit. Given storefront wise, Steam does so well at this, I'm not sure how they've managed to make a complete munt of it on the community side. Sorting is guff, the shuffling makes it impossible to browse and sorting by rated/unrated very quickly becomes unmanageable. I'm trying to maintain a list of other projects I like and would recommend and that's getting tough. I can't imagine how tits up it is for a casual browse.

So overall, mainly positive with a cloudy outlook.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times