Page 28 of 47 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 560 of 936
  1. #541
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    μ
    Posts
    1,118
    Charming. And you're clearly an idiot. "Gamer" isn't an ideology.
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 25-09-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: temporal paradox
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

  2. #542
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,313
    Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    "Gamer" isn't an ideology.
    Kind of rich talk coming from you tbh. After all aren't you the one attempting to bend the industry to your vision? Boycott this, boycott that? Whose the idealist in this situation? I'm merely commenting on a state of being. Unless you write you're not a writer, unless you game you're not a gamer. You don't game.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    He who controls the Doge controls the universe

  3. #543
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,155
    But he does, just not to the degree of others?

    I read at a very slow pace because most of my time is taken up by gaming. Am I not a reader? I also don't read books in genres I don't like. Am I not a reader? At what percentage of playing available games/reading available books do we qualify to use the tag "real gamer" under our signatures?

  4. #544
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I read at a very slow pace because most of my time is taken up by gaming. Am I not a reader? I also don't read books in genres I don't like. Am I not a reader? At what percentage of playing available games/reading available books do we qualify to use the tag "real gamer" under our signatures?
    I think where you're finding reasons not to play a game that are external to the quality of the game itself then I'd say there's a question mark over your investment in the medium.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    He who controls the Doge controls the universe

  5. #545
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    μ
    Posts
    1,118
    I was going to rant about "investment in the medium" and how it's entertainment and you should really get over yourself, and why my avoiding certain publishers (more or less, unless they release something I really want) is hardly an attempt to bend the world to my whim. But then I thought, as I'm sure many have before me, "I'm not going to argue with a cunt like Kadayi. He's not worth the effort". And I immediately felt much better.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

  6. #546
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK
    Posts
    2,307
    I was going to argue with Kadayi on your behalf, but then I arrived at the same conclusion.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

  7. #547
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,313
    All I see is a couple of guys without a viable counter argument.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    He who controls the Doge controls the universe

  8. #548
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,436
    I think the point is some people put playing the games above any idealogical concerns about what the industry should be. Other people take certain moral standpoints (or even fanboyish adherance to a single platform) and will not play some games they'd otherwise play because of that.

    Both those standpoints are valid, but I think the former is more concerned with playing games while the latter is more concerned about the industry as a whole. Whether that makes the former more of a real gamer I can't even say.

    I certainly prefer gaming on the PC, for example, but of course I own all three consoles because how else would I play Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Uncharted, Super Mario Galaxy, etc.

  9. #549
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,313
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Both those standpoints are valid, but I think the former is more concerned with playing games while the latter is more concerned about the industry as a whole. Whether that makes the former more of a real gamer I can't even say.
    Because there's more constructive meat in the former rather than the latter Dean. People can come up with innumerable reasons as to why they won't buy something, but beyond personal chest beating about whose the more holy in the temple courtyard what exactly does it achieve? I mean Ubisoft revoked their always on DRM over a year ago yet go a few posts up and there's Col of Nature going on about how he won't buy their titles. What's the reason now? Hurt feelings? It's laughable the shit these clowns come up with.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 25-09-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    He who controls the Doge controls the universe

  10. #550
    Lesser Hivemind Node johnki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    736
    Look, we all play games, and we all seem to play games pretty religiously.

    Part of the whole "eschewing this and that" is our passion for gaming and refusing to support people who really don't give a damn about the people who are, you know, funding their further efforts by buying their shit.

    The people who make the game are important. The same way people will refuse to see movies based on actors, or even directors. It's just knowing those people were involved and supporting their brand of screwing the consumer kinda makes some peoples' skin crawl.

    And part of being a "true" anything is caring about all this stuff. Part of being a music buff is learning all the people's names from the band, learning who produced it, learning that the singer used to run a farm where they killed puppies. Part of being a movie buff is learning the names of the actors, and the director, and all that.

    And part of being a gamer is learning to give a damn about all of this stuff that we've been talking about.

  11. #551
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,313
    Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    And part of being a "true" anything is caring about all this stuff. Part of being a music buff is learning all the people's names from the band, learning who produced it, learning that the singer used to run a farm where they killed puppies. Part of being a movie buff is learning the names of the actors, and the director, and all that.
    Killing puppies? Really? The defense to your absurdity is to go for the surreal? No ones died as a result of DRM in games as far as I'm aware. You make out that it's some terrible crime, but it's no different that any other business attempting to protect their bottom line. Do you protest your local supermarket for employing security guards, employing item tags and bleeper gates? Do you feel that their very presence means they are marking you out as a criminal?
    Last edited by Kadayi; 25-09-2012 at 07:10 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    He who controls the Doge controls the universe

  12. #552
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    And part of being a "true" anything is caring about all this stuff. Part of being a music buff is learning all the people's names from the band, learning who produced it, learning that the singer used to run a farm where they killed puppies.
    Pertinent:

    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  13. #553
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Because there's more constructive meat in the former rather than the latter Dean. People can come up with innumerable reasons as to why they won't buy something, but beyond personal chest beating about whose the more holy in the temple courtyard what exactly does it achieve? I mean Ubisoft revoked their always on DRM over a year ago yet go a few posts up and there's Col of Nature going on about how he won't buy their titles. What's the reason now? Hurt feelings? It's laughable the shit these clowns come up with.
    I dunno. I think some of that chest beating might be part of the reason Ubisoft did dump that DRM, but who knows for sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    And part of being a "true" anything is caring about all this stuff. Part of being a music buff is learning all the people's names from the band, learning who produced it, learning that the singer used to run a farm where they killed puppies. Part of being a movie buff is learning the names of the actors, and the director, and all that.
    And part of being a true true music/film buff is being able to enjoy the thing despite the external baggage attached to it? I still like Morrissey's music though I find the man to be an insufferable arsehole. Ditto U2. Bernard Manning was an awful racist but he was a brilliant gag writer.

  14. #554
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I think where you're finding reasons not to play a game that are external to the quality of the game itself then I'd say there's a question mark over your investment in the medium.
    I don't think so. Generally speaking you would be correct, but in some cases not so much. If I don't agree with the business practices of a company (like say using child labor or foreign labor with poor working/living conditions) that is a valid reason to not support that company by giving them my money. Obviously those extremes don't exist in game development (although they do in the production of the hardware we play our games on), a lot of companies do treat their employees like shit and other such business.

    I am not personally boycotting any game publisher or developer though, just playing devil's advocate.

  15. #555
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,436
    You rarely see people boycotting games or even getting that angry about worker conditions though when it comes to gaming. Even though a lot of the crunch conditions are awful. It's generally DRM and DLC.

  16. #556
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I don't think so. Generally speaking you would be correct, but in some cases not so much. If I don't agree with the business practices of a company (like say using child labor or foreign labor with poor working/living conditions) that is a valid reason to not support that company by giving them my money. Obviously those extremes don't exist in game development (although they do in the production of the hardware we play our games on), a lot of companies do treat their employees like shit and other such business.

    I am not personally boycotting any game publisher or developer though, just playing devil's advocate.

    But man, those Nikes are so comfortable. And Nestle chocolate is just the best!

  17. #557
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    And part of being a true true music/film buff is being able to enjoy the thing despite the external baggage attached to it? I still like Morrissey's music though I find the man to be an insufferable arsehole. Ditto U2. Bernard Manning was an awful racist but he was a brilliant gag writer.
    Pertinent.

    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    You rarely see people boycotting games or even getting that angry about worker conditions though when it comes to gaming. Even though a lot of the crunch conditions are awful. It's generally DRM and DLC.
    I do. I think it's a damn shame that the software world isn't unionized, and that unpaid overtime with no job security is the name of the game. And I've mentioned that before, on several occasions, on this very forum.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  18. #558
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,313
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I dunno. I think some of that chest beating might be part of the reason Ubisoft did dump that DRM, but who knows for sure.
    What I found particularly amusing was the continued chest beating about it despite the fact Ubi had dropped it over a year ago. I'm even more tickled that there are people even now still citing it as a reason to continue to boycott Ubi.

    And part of being a true true music/film buff is being able to enjoy the thing despite the external baggage attached to it? I still like Morrissey's music though I find the man to be an insufferable arsehole. Ditto U2. Bernard Manning was an awful racist but he was a brilliant gag writer.
    Most musicians are generally cocks on the whole. I'm hard pressed to think of any who come across as anything less than odious half the time. But I think that's a bi-product of fame and a certain amount of adulation. After years of it there's clearly a tendency to let it go completely to their heads. However as you rightly say what matters is the product, not the person. I don't have much time for Bono (forever immortalized in that southpark episode) but I can't deny that U2 have produced some great tunes over the years.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    He who controls the Doge controls the universe

  19. #559
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I do. I think it's a damn shame that the software world isn't unionized, and that unpaid overtime with no job security is the name of the game. And I've mentioned that before, on several occasions, on this very forum.
    Well yeah, but you don't not buy games because of that, or else you wouldn't ever buy any games.

    It's also worth noting that Orson Scott Card's involvement in Shadow Complex ruffled some feathers, but far fewer than when Bioware announces Day-one DLC.

  20. #560
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Well yeah, but you don't not buy games because of that, or else you wouldn't ever buy any games.

    It's also worth noting that Orson Scott Card's involvement in Shadow Complex ruffled some feathers, but far fewer than when Bioware announces Day-one DLC.
    I'm finding it funny how Kadayi gigs me on my purchasing decisions and outspoken nature - cuz I'm a corporation-hating flag-burning rabblerouser - and you just broad-stroke paint me in with the general observation about how boycotts are rarely effective - cuz I'm a corporation-ambivalent consumer sheeperson.

    I let politics affect my purchasing decisions. I'm also very much on the side of letting piracy be my consumer advocacy group. Hell, I haven't purchased anything from Blizzard or Ubisoft in years. I'm also very much in the business of rewarding Valve because they are, by far, the fairest publisher out there. Am I hard-line about it? More than Gundato, less than Vinraith.

    Also, who cares about Orson Scott Card? Paternalist claptrap back in the age of rose-tinted futurism.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •