Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I'm a corporation-hating flag-burning rabblerouser
    As ever your luminous imagination and persecution complex amuses. I generally find your statements largely weak, lacking in forethought and inclined towards murky conspiracy more than rationality. Not sure where you're pulling this flag burning idea from tbh. You seem very much in the 'America fuck yeah!!!' camp from what I can recall.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 26-09-2012 at 08:38 AM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Can I just nip-in here for a second with something silly? Please??

Thanks to the feedback I got from here and some other places, I've updated my Wobbly Tower Voting System for Steam Greenlight

Breakdown of the changes is here

Quick rundown

Greenlight page is now a popup (unblock it and drag it to a 2nd-screen or a new tab or just block and ignore it)
    MANY more games visible at any one time
    Tower play-area is bigger - games overlap slightly - links shorter - borders moved - moar space to play!
    Games which 'fall off' the tower/out of the playarea are put at the top of the list instead of the bottom (where no-one could find em!)

Question
    Do I remove the sidewalls so that a collapsing tower is a bad thing? :)

Coming Soon
    Sorting, Ignoring and more filtering...

I'm not sure if you guys will find this interesting, but last week I wrote a post on Kotaku Australia about our Greenlight experience. As a marketing and promotional tool, it's the best $US100 we've spent, especially as we've struggled to catch the attention of the media.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/09/bei...l-confronting/

We're sitting at about 52% now, and it's still chugging along at 1-2% a day.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan Booker View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys will find this interesting, but last week I wrote a post on Kotaku Australia about our Greenlight experience. As a marketing and promotional tool, it's the best $US100 we've spent, especially as we've struggled to catch the attention of the media.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

No worries.

It's a shame Valve pulled the data -- Greenlight Lite was a fantastic resource. Oddly enough, they pulled the info less than a day after we published ourselves on Greenlight.

It's not our fault, I swear.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

That's 52% of your way towards the Top100 IIRC?

In the old system, that's "less than 2%" - 114 games had 2% of more before they obscured that.

For perspective, there were 52 games which had 3% or more - so that's 5 months at 10 a month before anything else gets a look-in !?

Obviously they've made this all 'secret' so they can choose what the hell they want - the stats they are showing developers are so vague??

"You are xx% of the way to the Top100" probably means "we've not decided to look at your game yet" wheras once you make it into the Top 100 you know they've looked but you have to wait to see if they're going to say yes.

I am glad it's good for you as a developer - it was certainly a good move at first and probably was still worth $100 for the first week but the movement on games now seems glacial.

They have GOT to make it more interesting for the voter - there really is no incentive to hack through that heap of games, whatsoever...
    Last edited by trjp; 27-09-2012 at 02:48 PM.

That's 52% of your way towards the Top100 IIRC?
    Yes, that's correct.

I completely agree with what you're saying -- visibility (of Greenlight) and incentive (for users to vote) are significant issues at the moment.

I'm not sure what the solution is -- I guess we'll just continue to participate in Valve's crazy experiment and see what happens. :P
    Last edited by Logan Booker; 27-09-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    I'm not sure what the solution is -- I guess we'll just continue to participate in Valve's crazy experiment and see what happens. :P
    Assuming you have an email address for contacting Valve, let them know about your specific concerns and suggestions. Brief and polite and to the point, one developer to another.

They need the feedback. And hopefully they'll listen.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    They have GOT to make it more interesting for the voter - there really is no incentive to hack through that heap of games, whatsoever...
    Yes, my interest in wading through all of the stuff in Greenlight has diminished quite a lot over the last couple of weeks. My attitude now is along the lines of, "I'll just check if the game is on Desura or something, and get it there" because I can't be bothered with the searching, the voting, and then likely having to wait ages for the off chance that maybe it'll actually be available on Steam, assuming it gets enough votes in the first place.

i think steam greenlight is nice idea
    i would like to use it in future

Network Hub
    http://www.hatsproductions.com/organ...reenlight.html

Am i the only one that this feel wrong to?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Dunno about wrong, but it seems to reward ensuring they're not in the Top 10 by 15 October.

edit: I suppose it's meant to be that each rank would include the lower ones, but it amuses me to read it otherwise. I just thought I'd say that explicitly to head off any "lol, dumbass" comments.
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 27-09-2012 at 11:12 PM.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by burningpet View Post

From that page:
    Top 30 - Release by December

Top 20 - Release by November

Top 10 - Release by October
    That's beyond wrong, it's just stupid. They're going to rush out the game if it gets popular enough? Terrible, terrible idea.

Assuming you have an email address for contacting Valve, let them know about your specific concerns and suggestions. Brief and polite and to the point, one developer to another.

They need the feedback. And hopefully they'll listen.
    As an indie game studio, no, we haven't been given a direct contact. But I do have an email address for Augusta (interviewed in the RPS piece) from my previous job at Firemint (now Firemonkeys). I'll collect my thoughts and fire something through to her. Certainly can't hurt.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    From that page:

That's beyond wrong, it's just stupid. They're going to rush out the game if it gets popular enough? Terrible, terrible idea.
    Having your game added to steam doesn't mean it has to be DONE and ready to release, it just means it will be available on steam........

I don't know about wrong but it's a bit mental.

Not unique to this particular Greenlight but there's waaay to many folks trying to compete on Greenlight. Which is insane, when they're pulling stuff like "if I get on Steam, I will give you..." it makes you wonder if they've really thought this through.

It's fairly often stuff I wouldn't even consider promising like prices for unreleased games they plan on selling primarily through Steam. Given Valve work in concert with the developers on pricing and can recommend the smartest price point for you to launch at, it seems mad to forfeit that before you make it to the gates. Offering launch sales of x amount the same, again, without access to people who know their own storefront remarkably well to advise, it's posturing and possibly complete idiocy.

Obviously not including keys to existing purchasers in this, in a lot of cases this is simply smart thinking and it's already well established that it's a viable and welcomed thing.

All in all, better to underpromise and overdeliver or just deliver what you were supposed to rather than screw yourself just racing to get on Steam, I'd have thought.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times
    Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar

I had to laugh at some of that. "Very real explaination of how we made the art and world of Organ Trail." I presume by making pixel art and calling it retro...

This sort of stuff basically says "Steam or bust" and seems to show a lack of planning from my perspective. It's an admission of "Well, if we don't get on Steam, this project is sunk" which doesn't inspire faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    Having your game added to steam doesn't mean it has to be DONE and ready to release, it just means it will be available on steam........
    That said it seems a bit ridiculous that they can bring forward release dates like that based entirely on a ranking. It's like they're deliberately delaying the release of the game as a marketing device... which seems stupid. Surely if the game is ready you'd release it and not delay it for absolutely no good reason? Alternatively the game isn't going to be ready and thus they're rushing it for no good reason again.

Also the wording says "release" so I'm running with the idea that it means it'll be out and playable by the (which is what "release" means in gaming).

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    That said it seems a bit ridiculous that they can bring forward release dates like that based entirely on a ranking. It's like they're deliberately delaying the release of the game as a marketing device... which seems stupid. Surely if the game is ready you'd release it and not delay it for absolutely no good reason? Alternatively the game isn't going to be ready and thus they're rushing it for no good reason again.

Also the wording says "release" so I'm running with the idea that it means it'll be out and playable by the (which is what "release" means in gaming).
    That was my impression as well. I'm getting the sense that they believe there's some value in making the release and Steam release one in the same, perhaps so as not to lose, ahem, steam in terms of (what) buzz (there would be) were it to come to Steam months after release. Desura drops don't make a big splash.

Ah, I just checked their Kickstarter thinking I might see requests from backers that it be distributed through Steam, and I found this:

So it appears that Steam is no longer accepting submissions for games until the 30th due to Steam Greenlight.

Although we can release through other platforms, my grand vizier tells me that we should wait to launch them all as close as possible; and I've learned to never disobey a talking stuffed animal.

It's possible that the intent is to ensure that backers have a choice as to distributor, but I think it's equally possible--and more worrisome--that they've delayed (or are prepared to delay) the release of the game to suit their purposes, at the expense of people who've already paid for it. I hope this doesn't become a thing.
    Last edited by internetonsetadd; 28-09-2012 at 06:53 AM.

Well, until we do end up on Steam, people can buy Zafehouse: Diaries directly from our site. We've just released the full version today.

http://www.zafehouse.com

We also have a sale going for this weekend -- the game's only US$10. So if you're keen, check it out. :)