Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monitors...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found

Monitors...

So am pondering upgrading my primary to a 24inc 1900/1200 jobbie instead of my 20(ish) 1680/1050

Seems like dells u2412M is dogs danglies by all accounts. 2nd questions does anyone want it when I upgrade. It's a dell too btw.
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Network Hub
    I'll offer 20e.

U2412M is a decent budget choice if you don't want to spend more and get stuff like 120hz or 4k screens :>
    Steam: Crux

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    U2412M is what i've got, it was great while it worked, the updated version is the U2413 is the upgrade for this but 150 (ish) more.
    I like the extra pixel height (4k screens are still too much).
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera
    Steam ID: IHawksbane

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Its a pretty game, so if you can afford it and have the PC to run at that resolution (Not sure my graphics card is up to 1200 lines - I'm jealous) go for it.

Crux - dont think 20 euro will cover the shipping for Monkey's monitor to you!
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

Hmmm... U2413 you say

On prime delivery you say

Need to still work out why a R9 270X is still only outputting c.30 fps on avg.
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

Network Hub
    Too high settings?:> I imagine GW2 is a cpu-heavy game, so it might bottleneck there as well. Not that 270X is a great monstercard, but still probably should get more than 30 fps.

Speaking of monitors, looks like my venerable almost 10 years old Viewsonic VP930 is dying :< Too bad that just five minutes ago I spent 600e on other parts. What will I do without a second screen

I do like it fancy... The card was 200+ and reasonably recent so on an "old" game should be capable of more... Though part of that will be bandwidth and potentially cpu as you say. Phenom x6 should be okay. Might just need to just play a little with settings.

Blimeh that cpu is 4+ years old... Time flies and might be time to start planning my new box

Network Hub
    Unless you already are, might be worth it to overclock that thing to get some extra juice out of it. AMD is certainly cheaper and tends to have more cores, but has nothing on Intel when it comes to actual performance unfortunately. Especially software that run on a single thread (like GW2 I think).

I've been such an amd and ati fanboy for years, seems wrong to think of going to the dark side...

and given the monster of heatsink i put on it and approaching winter I really should do this - overclock that is, there are nice n easy apps to use too iirc.
    Last edited by MonkeyMonster; 03-11-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Network Hub
    Well, the last time they were actually better was when they had the AMD 64's and that's a while ago :> The lack of competition certainly shows. Intel had 3 generations (Sandy/Ivy/Haswell) that have hardly any performance difference. Only now with the LGA2011-V3 stuff there's some progress, although they cost like 400e for the cheapest cpu. On top of that you need a new mobo and DDR4 :>

Secondary Hivemind Nexus hawksbane's Avatar
    after an hour on the phone to Dell (at 14p/min) they are sending out a replacement monitor on Wednesday
    Hawksbane | Ripley Hawkswind | Aconitum Hawkshood | Fuchsia Panthera
    Steam ID: IHawksbane

I may well have pulled hte trigger on a u2413...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I might be interested in the old monitor, depends on how old, model and what price ofc.

Been eyeing 24's myself too but right now i'm working with a 17 and 19 and the 17 has some color problems (really old so no surprise) so if the price were cheap enough, i might just be interested to get that 20 now (and then later buy a 24 or better for main monitor where as the 20 would still serve for 2nd)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Krathor's Avatar
    I'm glad you were able to get a new monitor, Hawks. Although I dread to think how much that phone bill will cost you.

It turns out that I have a technical problem of my own. Let me you all a story...
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Last night, after a very successful game of Dota, Crux was bragging to me about how much he had spent on his new PC on Steam. I semi-mocked him, safe in the assumption that my computer still had a few more years left in it.

The very moment Crux sent me his next message, both of my monitors went black. It was like they had turned off, but they weren't. I had to do a hard shut down (by holding the power button down for five seconds) and went to bed, thinking that everything would be alright when I turned it on after work today...
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

Turns out it wasn't alright: my PC booted as usual, got to that 'Windows Starting' screen with the fancy colours flying around, but both monitors went black as soon as it would be at the log on.

Safe Mode tried: Works fine. Boots as usual.

I've tried System Restore to last week, but no luck. I've tried rolling back the driver on my graphics card, but same problem. I've then disabled the card in Device Manager and... here I am!
    Guild Wars 2:

So my question is: Do I need to buy a new graphics card?

It seems to be the only issue; I'm able to start it normally if I disable it in Device Manager. The thing I don't understand is that both of my monitors are still plugged into the card - so if it was completely borked then surely I wouldn't get any image? Still, arsed around with drivers and nothing helps.
    Guild Wars 2:

Network Hub
    Easiest way would be to try another card to see if it works. One other thing that I could think of is if something forces the screens to a unsupported frequency or resolution. Since safe mode is pretty basic resolutionswise, it doesn't do that there.

Quote Originally Posted by Crux View Post
    something forces the screens to a unsupported frequency or resolution.
    This, with a confidence rating of 80%.

Do not just revert the driver, totally uninstall it if you can, then do a clean driver install. Also, use just one monitor through the process.

Network Hub
    You can use this to burn the drivers away. If that doesn't change anything, take a look at your starting processes and see if there's anything that might interfere with that (run -> msconfig -> startup).