Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar

No-Nonsense Guide to Gearing Up at Level 80

You just reached level 80 on your first character and want to finally sort your equipment out, but when you look through the forums all you get is either too much information, too little information, or complete misinformation on how to gear up?

Don't worry, I got you covered.

What stat combination should I buy?
    For your first set on every class, always go for the Berserker's prefix, which is Power/Precision/Ferocity. This is the best stat combination for general PvE, dungeons and world bosses. Having a full Berserker's set will make it much easier to earn money, which you can then use to buy other gear in the future, such as Soldier's or Power/Vitality/Toughness for World versus World.

Exception: Mesmers want Assassin's to maximize reflect damage.

Getting started before transitioning into proper gear
    Once you hit 80, you probably don't have enough gold or other currencies to buy everything on the list below, so do the following:
    On the trading post, buy a full set of Masterwork Berserker's Barbaric/Prowler/Feathered armor, Berserker's Elder/Mithril weapons (every weapon your class can equip), and Ruby Mithril Amulet/Earrings/Rings of the Berserker. Buy 3 Major Runes of Strength and 3 Major Runes of Fire and put them on the armor. Buy a Major Sigil of Force and a Major Sigil of Accuracy for each of your weapon sets.
    This will cost you about 1g.

Currencies:

Gold: Run dungeons, kill world bosses, or buy low and sell high on the trading post. There are many ways to make gold, but this is not a gold-making guide.
    Laurels: Finish your dailies and monthlies. Finishing 5 daily tasks will give you 1 laurel per day, finishing 4 monthly tasks will give you 10 laurels per month. Do not waste this currency. Spend your laurels combined with badges of honor on the laurel vendors in WvW, not the ones in major cities, to get the best deals.
    Dungeon Tokens: Each unique explorable dungeon path you run per day awards you with 60 dungeon tokens. Running the same path more than once a day will lower your rewards. Citadel of Flame, Crucible of Eternity and Ruined City of Arah give tokens you can use to buy Berserker's gear at the dungeon vendors in Vigil Keep. Always check to make sure you are buying the right armor class and stat combination.
    Badges of Honor: WvW loot, gaining WvW levels, achievement chests, WvW jumping puzzles. If you want to primarily earn this currency by playing WvW, follow the transition gear advice above but buy gear with Soldier's stats instead. The quickest way to farm these is in Edge of the Mists. Follow the commander.
    Guild Commendations: Earned by participating in guild missions. You can get up to 6 a week in total. RPS runs the full set of guild missions every Sunday, and a bounty and rush on Wednesdays. Check the announcement thread for details.
    Fractal Relics & Pristine Fractal Relics: Earned by running Fractals of the Mists. You will spend normal relics to buy a backpiece and infusions, and pristine relics to buy ascended rings in the future, but this is too advanced to be covered by this guide.

Stat breakdown per gear type is about 50% for trinkets, 30% for Armor, 20% for weapons.
    Check prices using http://www.gw2tp.com/

Armor

If you have run Citadel of Flame, Crucible of Eternity or Arah explorable paths:
    Go to the dungeon token vendors in Vigil Keep, ask for armor, and click on the second tab.
    A full set is 1380 tokens, which means 23 runs total.

If you have Badges of Honor from playing WvW or achievement chests:
    Go into your server's WvW borderland and speak to the armor vendor. Select the tab with Berserker's gear.
    A full set is 950 badges and 5g 44s.

If you only have gold:
    On the trading post, put in buy orders for Berserker's Draconic/Emblazoned/Exalted armor pieces. Buy orders for boxes of armor can be cheaper depending on the market.
    A full set is about 21g for all armor classes.

Weapons

If you love playing sPvP:
    Go into Heart of the Mists and enable the Citadel of Flame, Crucible of Eternity or Ruined City of Arah reward track and finish PvP matches. Hotjoin ("Play Now") games have a daily limit on reward points. If none of these reward tracks are currently on rotation, you need to finish the story mode of one of these dungeons first.
    You can get three weapons on the reward track.

On the trading post, put in buy orders for Berserker's Pearl weapons. Look out for bargain named power/precision/ferocity weapons that might be cheaper than Pearl (maces for example).
    Expect to spend 2g 50s-3g 80s per weapon.

Trinkets

Accessories (ascended):
    Go to the Guild Commendation Trader in Vigil Keep and select the 'Ascended Gear' tab.
    Buy Altheas Ashes and Magister's Field Journal. Both together will cost you 10g and 24 commendations.

Amulet (ascended):
    Go to the laurel vendor in your server's borderland.
    Buy a Distinguished Circle of Logic. This will cost you 20 Laurels and 250 Badges of Honor.

Rings (exotic):
    On the trading post, put in a buy order for Ruby Orichalcum Rings.
    Two rings will cost you about 9g.

Runes and Sigils

For the time being, runes are as follows:
    Engineers and Elementalists: Buy 7 Runes of Strength.
    Rangers: Can buy 7 Runes of the Ranger. Otherwise:
    Everyone else: Buy 7 Runes of the Scholar.

What weapons to buy first by class (dungeon utility):

Warrior: Axe, Mace, Warhorn, Greatsword, Longbow, Sword. Low priority: Shield.
    Ranger: Sword, Warhorn, Greatsword, Longbow, Torch. Low priority: Dagger, Axe.
    Elementalist: Staff, Scepter, Dagger, Focus. Low priority: Second dagger.
    Guardian: Greatsword, Hammer, Sword, Focus, Scepter. Low priority: Staff.
    Engineer: Pistol, Shield. Low priority: Rifle.
    Necromancer: Dagger, Focus, Warhorn. Low Priority: Staff.
    Thief: Two Daggers, Shortbow, Sword, Pistol.
    Mesmer: Two Swords, Focus, Pistol. Low priority: Scepter.

FAQ:

Is crafting cheaper than buying on the trading post?
    No.
    I heard I should use Knight's first to get sta-
    No.
    I have calculated that Celestial gear ha-
    No.
    Last edited by Malawi Frontier Guard; 21-04-2014 at 02:22 AM.

Ascended gear followup.

Oh god he's targetting our young now!

PS Really good guide btw, thanks.
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

Excellent guide, now nobody has an excuse for crappy gear. Except lack of funds.
    GW2: Urraca Aldor

I omitted the rings because they're too expensive in laurels. I'll put that in the ascended guide.

Which I have now committed to.

I'll add axe as low priority.
    Last edited by Malawi Frontier Guard; 13-04-2014 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    I omitted the rings because they're too expensive in laurels.
    I missed the part where you talk about buying the amulet in home borderlands. I wanted to do a sneaky edit, but you were faster! At least you didn't quote me.

No love for staff mesmer?
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

No.

I also can't spell transition.

Quote Originally Posted by Krathor View Post
    No love for staff mesmer?
    Staff mesmer commanders unite!

Quote Originally Posted by noaru View Post
    Oh god he's targetting our young now!
    RUn for your lives! But thanks for the guide
    Tweetiti but also (ex Knickers) Burlesque Galore, Melons of Steel and Liltweetie

Network Hub
    Stop telling me what to do! If I want to stand in the pretty red circles, then I'll stand in the pretty red circles! And if I want to waste my money on buying Cuddlebear's Sword of Foehealing for my dungeon runs, then I'm gonna do it!

Quit trying to make me an effective player!

Nice work, thanks for that Malawi. I would love to link it in the resources thread, however I got that very annoying bug that currently prevents me from editing the post. Maybe Duke could try and edit that post for me. In case that doesn't work, I'll try to contact an admin and ask for help.

Nice guide, but I'd disagree with the weapon priorities for necro purely out of personal bias.

Yeah, if you're not running a power build, you pretty much need a staff off the bat.

Edit: Also, as a minor point, I would go Axe, Mace, Greatsword, Longbow, Sword, Warhorn, Hammer, Shield on a warrior.

The list is really just what you need for dungeons. I mean I could go into more detail per class and include WvW as well, but that's way beyond the scope of this guide.

These are really only minor things, but I am talking about PvE.

Lesser Hivemind Node MonkeyMonster's Avatar
    Destroying Rabbits wherever they can be found
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    Also, as a minor point, I would go Axe, Mace, Greatsword, Longbow, Sword, Warhorn, Hammer, Shield on a warrior.
    Mine would be Greatsword, Rifle, Hammer, Axe (OH Axe), Mace, Longbow, Warhorn, Sword, Shield but it's malawis fine effort we're reading and thank you Mal!
    Monksbjornsson, a glass cannon of nordic origins and gleeful slaughterer of rabbits
    Monksbane, gnarly bit of wood that rots, festers and gives you splinters of the nasty kind that really sting
    Monksgaard, a squishy human guardian badly helping to keep you alive while running away

What are the hammer and rifle for?

Alright, cross out hammer, shield, rifle.

Btw Malawi, I tried to avoid opening this can of worms...

I don't really understand why you put scepter on the list for the Mesmer. It's useless with a power build. And some encounters need you to be ranged, when you should be using Greatsword (which actually is a power weapon). I know your dislike of GS is legendary, but I find suggesting scepter as the ranged option is ridiculous.

Playing as a newbie level 80 in full glass-cannon gear as a melee mesmer is not something anyone will manage for long, for the simple reason that they won't have the experience needed to avoid all the nasty attacks.
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.