Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar

The Terrible Game

I thought it would be fun to have a thread about this game so the Dota people in the guild can talk about the Dota game that is popular. If you want, that is. Maybe you don't. Maybe I don't.

Good idea. I think there's a separate forum for RPS Dota players, but I'm too scared to go there. We can keep it in the family (insert joke about Duke's mom).

Last night's defeat against those smurfs got me thinking... they weren't that great, but had some very good synergies going - which meant that if they could initiate well we'd just melt instantly while being stunned.

We won't meet such teams often enough at our levels, but I think we could start thinking about improving our playstyle beyond the semi-random thing we're doing now. Especially if we're playing All-pick.
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

Network Hub
    All-pick is probably my least liked playmode :>
    Steam: Crux

Isn't it funny how I never get anything done on Silencer yet keep picking him?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Krathor's Avatar
    We win when you play him, so keep it up. It does seem that you spam Global Silence though.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

When do you guys play Dota? Maybe I can join in for a match or two.

Usually on weeknights Jazz - just poke if you see us in the game and we'll shout if we have a free spot.

We had the bestest game at 11PM tonight. It was truly hilarious - and we won!
    Last edited by Krathor; 18-11-2014 at 01:57 AM.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

"Uh, we don't have any carries."

Activated Node
    What are carries good for anyway? (Holy crap what a game that was)

If there's anything to be learned from last game it's that splitpushing until you die really needs to end.

I admit that my biggest enemy is boredom. Nowadays our matches are often running over 60 minutes and even by the 40 minute mark my attention begins to drift. Pushing the side lanes makes me feel like I'm doing something and you must acknowledge there have been times where a sneaky split push has won us the game. Sure, they're around 5% of the times we split push, but it's a fantastic feeling when it does work.
    Guild Wars 2:

Network Hub
    Sure it feels nice when it succeeds. But you should play heroes that excel at pushing, or at least have a reliable escape. Also not only do you give gold to the opposing team, you deprive one or more friendlies from teamfights. Map awareness also plays a big part. For me I just 'feel' it when they are coming for the pusher and should leave like yesterday :> Look at the map and think what would you do if the situation was reversed. Is that dude pushing too far alone? Let's go kill him and get free money.

ALWAYS CARRY A TP. Losing the game and having a shit in the pool? Carry a tp.
    Steam: Crux

Last night was not one my best nights... I got cocky with TA on too many occasions. That trigger finger...

But Duke, I agree with the others - this split pushing with a non-pushy support without TP and shadowblade/invis has to stop. I know you like split pushing, so pick a hero that's good at doing that and your 5% chance will increase A LOT.

Also did I tell you how much it annoys me doing all-pick and then choosing something (almost randomly) after I start losing gold because nobody could be arsed to pre-plan a little? Last night we could've benefited from a ranged carry rather than TA, but I'm not experienced enough to make that decision in 20 seconds.
    [GW2] The Blackfyre clan: Aliss (Guardian) Alyss (Mesmer) Lyss (Engineer) and others.

Yeah I'm actually agreeing; split pushing is a bit silly but tends to be a symptom of my attention span than any real strategic move. I need a MOBA that has an average game time of 40 minutes, maximum.

Unless it's like that game from the other night, but those are the exceptions.
    Guild Wars 2:

Activated Node
    I think that part of the problem with all pick is that its not really a good mode - there are just loads and loads of lose-lose situations. I think going into games we just need to pick a rough role, and then we can hash things out over that minute - and then decide on what our gameplan is going to be. I think we come up with reasonable teams pretty often, but then we get the execution in game wrong.
    Saying that I've had two of the funnest games of dota that I've ever had over the last few days, so we get things right often enough for me. (also my keyboar5d makes typ-i=ng anythi=ng ou6t a pai=n i=n the ar5se r5i=ght now)