Activated Node

Snapshot by Retro Affect

I've followed the development of this game (passively) for a long time and today, out of nowhere, it was released on Steam. I want to grab it but I'm wondering if anybody else has tried it yet and can share any impressions.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/204220/

It's Kyle Pulver if I'm not mistaken, who needs to know anything else?

Network Hub
    Looks like my cup of tea. Hopefully John has a WIT coming along.

Quote Originally Posted by elephant god View Post
    It's Kyle Pulver if I'm not mistaken, who needs to know anything else?
    I thought it was him. Can always tell from the art-style.

Game looks good, but you know it will be on a bundle one day for pennies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Haven't played it yet but from the trailer it looks like it could be good fun, would be interested to hear from anyone who has played it.

Obscure Node
    This was literally an impulse buy for me. I had only heard about this game a few hours ago, and I was surprised to learn that it's been in development since 2008! I've searched for a few minutes and haven't seen any reviews for the game at all on the internet, so I'm probably one of the first to post impressions of the final game. There isn't even a forum for the game on Steam. With that said:

I think so far, the game has been worth the money. Basically, your control the robot, Pic, with your keyboard while operating the camera with your mouse. Think of the gameplay as sort of a cross between Portal and Pokemon Snap, with a hint of Scribblenauts. When you take a picture of an object, it disappears into your store of up to three photos. Right clicking the mouse allows you to "paste " the picture back into the level where it started. This allows you to overcome a variety of puzzles. A simple one early on lets you take a picture of a box and place it in a spot where you can use it to reach a higher platform, but later puzzles require more thought as well as dexterity in a manner similar to Portal. For each level, there are extra goals you can reach: Collect all stars, complete the level in a certain time, and find the hidden objects. This is one of the best looking 2D games I've seen in a while. The graphics look great and the music is electronically synthesized, more ambient than melodic, but it sounds good.

My ONLY complaint so far has to deal with the controls for pasting objects after you've gathered them. You're supposed to hold down the right button on your mouse and rotate the photo around in the direction where you need it to be pasted, but it feels finicky and there were plenty of times where the picture would automatically paste itself in an undesirable way, despite the fact that I am holding down the button the entire time. This gets very annoying, very fast, and I really hope Retro Affect fixes this.

Overall, though, I hope that this becomes Retro Affect's breakout hit, especially after how long they spent working on it. I'd love to see a port to the WiiU or PSMove, where the motion-sensing controllers would allow the player to literallly twist the pictures into place.
    Last edited by krisko; 03-09-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Activated Node
    I like the game enough, but I was under the impression that it'd be a full-fledged platformer rather than one of these iOS-ish, three-star time trial structures.