Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

They're waiting for you Gordon...

There is a counter on http://www.blackmesasource.com

From the forum: ...

• On September 14th you will see the first release of Black Mesa! This will include our re-envisioning of Half-Life all the way up to Lambda Core. We believe this is a great way to provide a complete-feeling 8-10 hour experience with a solid ending, make our fans happy and help us make the best overall game possible.

We are still working hard on Xen and BMDM, but instead of making you wait we are giving you Black Mesa as soon as it's ready! We're doing our best to help bring the immense vision of this project into reality, and we are very excited for what the future brings!

Excellent news.

Please though, let them listen to reason about the overly macho marine voices. They're very un-half-life.
    Last edited by rsherhod; 02-09-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    BLUEBELL. SWEEP. CHECK IN. OVER.
    ALL. ROGER THAT.
    SQUAD. STAY ALERT. FOR FREEMAN. OVER.
    I. AM. HEAVY. WEAPONS. GUY.

Wait... this was totally the precursor to the ARMA radio system!
    TWO. TARGET. THAT. HOUNDSEYE! TWO O'CLOCK.
    TWO. CAN'T GET THERE.
    TWO. TARGET. THAT. FREEMAN! NINE O'CLOCK.
    OH NO. TWO. IS DOWN.
    ENEMY. FLYING TOILET. ONE HUNDRED.

Erm. On topic:
    I AM. EXCITED. OVER.

Stoked for this! I can't stand the marine voices as well, maybe someone will mod in the original ones? A mod mod, if you will.

On all playthroughs of HL other than my first one, I regarded Lambda Core as the end anyway. Screw Xen, man!

In other news, BM:S! \o/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Good, but I can wait some more and replay HL again.

Yes! Oh I really need to re-install this shit

If you guys can fix Xen and the marine VOs, I'll die a happy man!
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

OK, so I'm told they have changed the voices. Although I still can't find anything official to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by rsherhod View Post
    ok, so i'm told they have changed the voices. Although i still can't find anything official to back it up.
    this is. Excellent. News. Over.

EDIT: Okay so the forum automatically wipes out all calls. I typed that as "THIS IS. EXCELLENT. NEWS. OVER." and it posted it like that. Science!
    Last edited by soldant; 02-09-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Research complete! New research available.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Damn you op,i was expecting some info on new HL game.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    this is. Excellent. News. Over.

EDIT: Okay so the forum automatically wipes out all calls. I typed that as "THIS IS. EXCELLENT. NEWS. OVER." and it posted it like that. Science!
    Hmm... their forum still suggests Duke Nukem voices. I hope the guy on the main RPS article wasn't talking out of his arse.

Edit: They've applied the static to all the voices and are re-recording the scripted sequences (which sounded awful).
    Last edited by rsherhod; 02-09-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    didn't they show a video of two marines chatting... and it was full of bad acting?

and why so much xen hate. it was strange, it was unique (at least to my virgin eyes so many years ago) the jumping 'puzzles' were simple. it didn't take much for you to complete them (at least for me. fighting soldiers and flying mosquitoes was much more problematic)
    maybe it was too strange in comparison to the rest of the game yet I am very fond of it

edit: I also just found out that I was pronouncing it wrongly for past 13 years...

can anyone explain why i should be excited about this, i mean if its just HL1 remake, why not just play HL2, which is a better game in every way? dont get me wrong, its cool that someone put an effort into doing this, it just doesnt excite me to play HL1 yet again.
    Last edited by grasskit; 02-09-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grasskit View Post
    can anyone explain why i should be excited about this, i mean if its just HL1 remake, why not just play HL2, which is a better game in every way? dont get me wrong, its cool that someone put an effort into doing this, it just doesnt excite me to play HL1 yet again.
    you shouldn't. go away. ;)

Seriously tough:

If you hate HL1 for some reason which would not be fixed by that mod then there are plenty of other games for you to play.
    no reason for you to be excited with everything out there right?
    Last edited by Lukasz; 02-09-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    If you hate HL1 for some reason
    i dont hate it, i loved it when i played it back in 1998. but you, know shock-horror 14 years later i kind of dont care about it that much.

Well it is a fairly substantial re-imaging... and if they've got any sense they'll retool some of the 'classic' elements of HL to be a bit less of a pain in the arse. Namely anything relying on jumping puzzles, because the physics were weird, which is why a lot of people hated Xen.

I've replayed HL1 a month or so ago and ye olden graphics and sound aside it's still a kick-ass game from start to finish.

But when this remake is concerned I never really had much interest. It always seemed like an absolute waste of time for the guys making it. I mean if you have the means and time why not just make a game of your own design? I just hope this doesn't "replace" HL1 for some people... That would be like making Van Sant's remake of "Psycho" your preferred version of that film just because it's in color.

With that said, how close are they even sticking to the original design of the game?
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Banned
    Wow, which release date is this? Seventh?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Watching the 30 minutes speed run I have to say the games was probably too long for my actual tastes. I remember some areas as a slogfest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    But when this remake is concerned I never really had much interest. It always seemed like an absolute waste of time for the guys making it. I mean if you have the means and time why not just make a game of your own design?
    It's understandable.
    a) Relation to HL is free marketing. This mod got much more attention than some other worthy mods.
    b) I'm pretty sure they only managed to keep their team because it's a HL remake and HL is cult classic
    c) The only way to make a successful non-AAA SP FPS game is to have a great graphics