Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I dunno, in some ways it's a good thing when any game with DRM gets cracked. At least that means it'll still be playable in 5 or 10 years' time.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I dunno, in some ways it's a good thing when any game with DRM gets cracked. At least that means it'll still be playable in 5 or 10 years' time.
    Can't disagree with that, really... >.<

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    ...an important developer who despite some slips regarding PC gaming still release some pretty bloody excellent titles...
    They do? I haven't bought a Ubisoft title for years, and there's been all of one I've even considered getting. (and no, I don't mean I've been pirating them instead)
    Last edited by random_guy; 03-09-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Yeah they do, and of course opinion opinion opinon etc, whether the games don't interest you specifically is irrelevant, they are a major player in the industry, and their games are enjoyed by a significant number of people.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    A game was not released on the PC for some reason or another
    Ubi decides to release it on the PC after all
    Said game is pirated

And that is a good thing?
    Apparently.

I'm fully aware that piracy can't be stopped, that people have XYZ reasons for doing it and blah blah blah... but treating this as some sort of fantastic righteous crusade against the infidel DRM believers are kidding themselves. UBI will point at it, go "See? It's just like we said!" and have a bunch of others nod in agreement.

Although piracy can't be stopped, a platform like the 360/PS3 is a lot more attractive, because it requires a greater degree of time, effort and knowledge to play pirated games. On the PC it's trivial. So for those arguing that piracy still happens on the 360 (and often the cracked 360 versions appear well before PC versions), although it might still happen, it's probably not to the same extent as the PC.

Ubi seem to be incongruous on the point of piracy. They rant about how piracy is inevitable and make up figures like "95%". Then they pour money into DRM solutions. Then the DRM gets cracked and they rant again about how piracy is inevitable.

The Undeniable Truths of Video Game Piracy

- Piracy is inevitable
    - Piracy numbers do not equate to lost sales
    - DRM does not prevent piracy
    - DRM only affects paying customers
    - Piracy & DRM both hurt sales

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Is this game even going to be launched at retail? Who leaked it?
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roryok View Post
    Ubi seem to be incongruous on the point of piracy. They rant about how piracy is inevitable and make up figures like "95%". Then they pour money into DRM solutions. Then the DRM gets cracked and they rant again about how piracy is inevitable.

The Undeniable Truths of Video Game Piracy

- Piracy is inevitable
    - Piracy numbers do not equate to lost sales
    - DRM does not prevent piracy
    - DRM only affects paying customers
    - Piracy & DRM both hurt sales
    Can't we go back to the times when games weren't protected by any means?
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Can't we go back to the times when games weren't protected by any means?
    I'm not old enough to remember such a time, if it existed at all. My earliest memories are a blur of copy protection codes hidden within the manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    I'm not sure how this is a victory for PC Gamers.

Are we going to get UBI games, without DRM in future? I'd doubt it.

Are UBI going to be encouraged to improve on their PC Ports? I'd doubt it.

Are UBI going to have yet another anecdote, or more data, to point to when discussing the problem of Piracy on the PC Platform? Yes.

Will UBI have another excuse to half arse their PC ports? Yes.

Will UBI have another excuse to not port games to the PC? Yes.
    At what point exactly did it happen that we somehow agreed on paradigm that it's the customers who are on their knees and "solicit" a seller to deliver his merchandise? It's them, Ubisoft, who need to adjust to the market, not the other way around. They ruined their reputation and they had it coming, when they back away from PC market altogether (doubt it, cheap ports are cheap) the hole will be filled by someone else.

Besides, they keep making crap games.

I'll be pirating this game, I won't play it, have no interest in it but I fancy making Ubisoft think they've lost a sell because they're such a bunch of bellends.

I'm getting really bored of all these piracy vs anti-piracy forum posts. It's the same shit different day. We all know that piracy can't be stopped. We all know Ubisoft won't change their ways. We all know that no matter how much we talk nothing is going to happen. They are a major corporation and won't change their ways. There should be a new rule that stops people from talking about Ubisoft and Piracy.
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Network Hub
    After the game is cracked, the DRM can no longer possibly affect the pirates. So if Ubi now keeps the DRM on there - which they almost certainly will - they will once again demonstrate that the real purpose of their DRM is to fuck with paying customers.

I thank the crackers for showing the emperor has no clothes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnac View Post
    I'll be pirating this game, I won't play it, have no interest in it but I fancy making Ubisoft think they've lost a sell because they're such a bunch of bellends.
    They won't notice/care if you do. Their point has already been proven in their eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Utnac View Post
    "Oh dear lord... I just checked on the All-Know-A-Tron, and Utnac has pirated our game!"

"I, for one, have been convinced. Go and set fire to the DRM lab."

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    They won't notice/care if you do. Their point has already been proven in their eyes.
    You are giving them too little and also too much credit. Megadollar corps are not stupid. They know their DRM doesn't do anything against pirates. They just keep pushing the DRM to control, exploit, monetize and generally fuck with legit customers. It plays to their hands to repeat any variation of "DRM is for fighting pirates but the megadollar corp doesn't understand it doesn't work". The last thing they want is for the paying customers to make the connection "DRM is working as intended, for fighting customer rights and empowerment" en masse.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    You are giving them too little and also too much credit. Megadollar corps are not stupid. They know their DRM doesn't do anything against pirates. They just keep pushing the DRM to control, exploit, monetize and generally fuck with legit customers. It plays to their hands to repeat any variation of "DRM is for fighting pirates but the megadollar corp doesn't understand it doesn't work". The last thing they want is for the paying customers to make the connection "DRM is working as intended, for fighting customer rights and empowerment" en masse.
    Yes, because the logical answer is that companies that are dependent on customer good will and sales intentionally spend money to screw over said customers.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yes, because the logical answer is that companies that are dependent on customer good will and sales intentionally spend money to screw over said customers.
    Although that was my first thought too, I suppose there might be motives for publishers to do this sort of thing. For instance, if their final goal is the (effective) Diablo 3 DRM, then they can't just suddenly decide to switch from no DRM to super-strict DRM, they have to carefully condition us into thinking that this change wouldn't be a big deal.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    Although that was my first thought too, I suppose there might be motives for publishers to do this sort of thing. For instance, if their final goal is the (effective) Diablo 3 DRM, then they can't just suddenly decide to switch from no DRM to super-strict DRM, they have to carefully condition us into thinking that this change wouldn't be a big deal.
    And they've been doing that over the decades.

I remember really disliking having to keep the manual for Aladdin nearby when I played it on the 486. When we switched to "just enter this serial once per install", I was ecstatic
    Then Neverwinter Nights came, and I am STILL full of rage and hatred toward Bioware and Atari for the hell that was all the serials and disc swapping to install
    Nobody ever liked Starforce, but it sure as hell made Steam a lot more palatable. Because we all hated Steam for a while
    Hell, I found it HILARIOUS how someone actually said "It doesn't use real DRM, just GfwL" in one of the Dark Souls threads.

Not to get into (another) DRM debate, but the purpose of DRM is simple:
    It makes publishers feel happy, and it prevents the "average" user from cracking it. If you have an attached achievement or DD service, it even prevents most users out of fear of getting their accounts wiped. It is not meant to stop piracy for all time, just to slow it or deter it. The goal is to strike a balance between "effective" and "draconic" (ugh, I hate that word...). Stuff like UbiDRM really increases our tolerances (especially once we realize that, while annoying, it is more bad in principle, not execution).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    They think they'll make more money by screwing over the customers. Encrypting everything, preventing modding or tightly controlling all mod content, having online authentication, withholding servers from player hands, preventing "cheating" in single player games etc. is there to prevent competition to their own DLC, prevent resale/game loaning, allow them to micromanage what is and isn't a permitted way to have fun with the game, allow them to guard their own image, allow them to dictate terms for any public activity even tangentially related to the game, and cut off or otherwise fuck up multiplayer whenever to push players towards the next cookie-cutter thing they push out.

Admittedly, being a dick just because is rare, and is not a problem compared to the mountain of dickishness they engage in for profit.

They lose my good will, but still occasionally make a sale to me when the game is good enough (Starcraft 2...). And of course the majority of gamers will just lap this stuff up.