Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Obscure Node

The Mechanists Databank - Engineer Class Thread

Haven't seen anyone set one up, so I thought I'd go ahead and start.

So currently, I'm building my engineer around the Flamethrower and Elixir Gun. Having just hit 40 earlier, my build currently looks like this
    http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...9000a0k0aaaukh

but ultimately I'm aiming for something like this (talent calculator is slightly out of date I think)
    http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...uau0aaafauk7kh
    with Energized Armor (5% of toughness is converted to power) in the first tier of Inventions (in game this is fine, the calculator doesnt have it till second tier). For the last Tier of alchemy, I'm not 100% sure yet, but I was thinking Backpack Regenerator (in game it says kit, not med kit). Regen on kit switch is rather useful I think.

So the idea behind building this way is damage up front with the Flamethrower, and support from behind with the Elixir Gun. Its a rather tanky build, but it also brings a lot of boon support and healing. Juggernaut in the third tier of Firearms combined with Energized Armor from the first tier of Inventions looks to be a good combination, giving me an extra boost of damage to the already upgraded Flamethrower. With the Elixir Gun equipped, I then get increased range (meaning I can stand out of harms way) place down aoe healing and remove conditions, which so far has been looking quite useful in WvW, especially during a zerg. Also, With Elixir H and Elixir B I can provide further boon support. Elixir X is really only there because I love becoming a tornado (that and I havent played with very many of the Elite Skills yet).

So fellow engineers, what do you think? What kind of way are you building your characters? What is your favourite gadget? Discuss!
    Last edited by boyspud; 02-09-2012 at 07:51 PM.

I'm still experimenting around, I had a few builds prepared before release as I was looking into traits for each profession but now that I have some direct experience and it's no longer just theory-crafting well... time to get back to the blackboard.

At the beginning I mostly focused on turrets and while they're still nice to use when going around solo or to cover multiple approaches in certain events, I don't think it's worth building around them.

I'm probably going for something like 30 in Firearms, 10 in Tools (I love Speedy Kits, perma swiftness is great in most situations), then switch between 30 in Explosives for WvW (Grenades) and 30 in Alchemy for PvE (Elixir Gun / Flamethrower / Elixirs). Of course, there may be some point taken off from a line and moved elsewhere, this is just the general direction I'm taking.

I don't find the Inventions trait line particularly appealing, but the combo you mentioned (Energized Armor + Juggernaut) is definitely interesting. I'd probably prefer the increased mobility coming from Speedy Kits in most situations though.

For the Elite, I've been mostly using the Supply Crate: it has no synergy with the rest of my build, but the extra healing is nice for emergency situations and the fact that it's a blast finisher is a nice extra when used in combination with a combo field.
    Last edited by Kismet; 03-09-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    No stone left unturned. No tree left unpruned.

Obscure Node
    Yeah, Inventions isnt all that appealing to me either, except for the stat gains from it. For a while there I was actually putting 10 into explosives and switching back and forth between damaging elixirs and the skill that drops a bomb on a dodge (cant remember the name right now). I cant see much synergy with my build going further into explosives however. Tools seems quite lacklustre to me also, I think perhaps the passive stats from it are more a detterent for me than anything, but I havent used anything in it at all.

Ive not used the Supply Crate yet, though I did buy the Charrzooka earlier. I cant seem to equip it, though I was in WvW at the time and didnt give it much thought. Elixir X saved my ass a couple of times, turning tornado gives you a fair bit of room to get away with.

I'm not going further than 10 in Tools, and just for Speedy Kits, though I'd wish there was some good trait lather on to justify an higher points expenditure: the main appeal of elixirs to me are the toolkit skills (particularly the area revive and conditions removal of Elixir R), so being able to shave off a 30% on their recharge would be great, but 10% will have to do I guess.

Explosives is purely for grenades in a WvW perspective, PvE will be 30 Firearms / 30 Alchemy / 10 Tools. Hope the 50ish silvers needed for resetting traits won't be too daunting at level 80 (poor decision to have a reset fee for builds in a game like Guild Wars 2, in my opinion).

Spent some more time with the flamethrower yesterday, it really shines in events with many mobs in a restricted space, my inventory couldn't keep up with the loot dropping...
    No stone left unturned. No tree left unpruned.

Traits reset when you learn a new trait book, so you essentially have 2 free resets.

Obscure Node
    Cant play the game atm, so I decided to mess about with the skill calculator. Ive come up with a pair of builds that I think have a nice bit of potential. This is the same skill calculator I was using last time, so some of my info might not be necessarily correct, and as I cant login atm, I cant amend any changes there may be. I imagine it to be fairly accurate at any rate. Ill be testing these eventually when I get in game, but for now, theorycrafting!

First is the Pistol condition build:
    http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...a3a6acb0b6b7k8
    This is basically a skirmishing type build that causes a lot of conditions via pistol abilities and provides a lot of boons via elixirs. Its a fairly simple build to play from the looks of it, utilizing only pistol abilities for damage. It should play far simpler than my current flamethrower/elixir gun build, which involves a lot of switching between kits. Because of alchemy it has decent enough survivability, and between the tool belt elixirs and the Supply Crate it provides a decent amount of healing and boons for other players.

The Second build is an 'Immobilising Sniper' Rifle build:
    http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...a2a3a6a9aabgbk
    This build is more all out damage than the flamethrower/elixir gun or pistol builds, and less survivable from direct damage, however theres a lot going on here which makes me think this might be a satisfying build to play.
    First, it has upgrades to the rifle increasing range, damage output and recharge rate. On top of that, you gain increased crit for both standing still and getting an enemy under 50%, along with burns and bleeds applied via crits, and increased damage against bleeding foes.
    Second, while not being able to withstand much direct damage, there are a lot of skills that allow you to stay out of harms way. Slick shoes and its toolbelt skill, Rocket Shoes, Net Turret and your second, fourth and fifth Rifle skills all work towards having you keep your distance from your foe. Adrenaline Pump, Inertial Converter and Speedy Gadgets all help you to dodge more often when you are in danger, along with the toolbelt turret skills also aiding in endurance regen (thanks to Adrenaline Pump). In addition, you'll be dropping bombs every time you dodge (evasive powder keg in explosives).
    I chose the mortar as the elite skill, as I like to think this kind of playstyle would have you hang right at the back of any assault, and would be useful for other players to aid you with. Of course, thats not to say Supply Drop wouldnt be equally as good, but I went for all out damage with this one.

I made these two builds with WvW specifically in mind. The Pistol build would have you at about mid range, and seems adaptable for any situation, be it attacking, defending, midfield fighting etc. The Rifle build on the other hand would shine far better in midfield fighting and base attacking, but may be a little less effective for defense, down to the lack of supporting buffs and general lack of direct damage survivability (however, there are other duties to do during a proper defence, so theres always that!). Id imagine both builds would be fairly decent for dungeons too, maybe favoring the pistol build for the group utility it brings.

Anyway, it feels like I've been typing for ages! Thoughts?
    Last edited by boyspud; 07-09-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    My engineer is a lowly level 21 and after initially feeling like she was a little too squishy and dull to play for the first couple of levels I'm starting to enjoy it a lot more now that she has more toys to play with.

My current traits and loadout looks something like this and I plan to keep building on Firearms, Explosives and Alchemy. I use pistols to pull enemies with Explosive Shots and Poison Darts, blind and confuse them when they get near with Static Shot and set them on fire with Blowtorch. Then (if they're still alive, which normal mobs usually aren't) I'll switch to the flame thrower, set them on fire and blind again with Smoke Vent when it falls off. If needed I can then hit them with Air Blast (which puts them at just enough range to be hit by a Flame Blast explosion), cycle back to the pistols and reapply conditions and blinds.

I picked Rocket Boots for my third utility because it looked like fun and while launching yourself is more humorous than useful most of the time, the Rocket Kick you get as an extra deals a very nice chunk of damage and can be used safely while your foes are blinded. Elixir B is also pretty great both as a damage booster and a way to get run speed on demand.

I'm guessing this might not be a good way to build your character for PvP or difficult dungeons, but for levelling and events I haven't seen any glaring weaknesses so far. I can't stand still and take a beating for long, but between blinds, knock-backs and dodging I don't have to.
    Last edited by Skalpadda; 14-09-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Playing a flamethrower engineer in WvW.

Well, minus the swastikas, I guess.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Class thread falling aside :O

So who here's been pvping?

This is the build I've tried recently (swapped a few skills in and out):
    http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...vM0xax0VRqomka

Flamethrower is great for the aoe blind (especially whilst stomping people as it's instant use mid stomp) and the knockback but the damage is only "ok" and the skills are a little buggy (miss a lot at point blank range if there's the slightest whiff of lag on either end).

So the next plan is either bombs or grenades depending on how easy it actually is to hit people with them.

Also worth trying out are slick shoes and elixir U but I've grown quite attached to the elixirs S & R for survivability and aoe resses.

In the spirit of every other class thread getting necroed, I`ve decided I can rebuild this one. I`m feeling a bit lonely in guild chat, since no-one who plays when I`m on seems to be an engy.

Now, I`ve only started playing on my Engineer alt recently, but I must say he`s growing on me. The sheer versatility of the class is unmatched by anyone else - not even the Elementalist. The ability to switch between a hyper-offensive DPS, balanced condition damage and support and defensive roles with each of the above being available in single-target and AoE variants, and being able to switch them up at a moments notice, is invaluable. This goes double for a lone wolf like me, who tries to do everything at once, which the engy excels at.

One thing that isn`t in his favour are the non-kit weapons. The rifle is quite bland except for the Jump shot (though it does fill the long-range DPS niche to a greater degree than the support-heavy Elixir gun), and the pistol(s) is downright dreadful, with bad DPS and conditions that fail to do anything more than mildly annoy. The harpoon is, if anything, even worse, though the Elixir gun can be used underwater and is pretty much superior in every respect.

For now I favour a build where I switch between the Elixir (ranged DPS on a single target) and Flamethrower (close range uber-damage with great AoE), but I`m only level 23 so that might change. One thing I have noticed about the flamer (and to a lesser extend the Elixir`s Fumigate) is that it glitches out and gets Stormtrooper-like accuracy at point-blank range. This may be due to my charr char being taller than the gather-able saplings, but I`m not sure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tweetiti's Avatar
    When I'm back home I'll check my build but the flamethrower glitch is a well known bug. I like the rifle but I tend to use the elixir gun fairly often specially good for the water healing.
    Tweetiti but also (ex Knickers) Burlesque Galore, Melons of Steel and Liltweetie

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    I'm running a rabid condition grenade build on my (rarely played) engineer at the moment. It works well for WvW, but I'd like something else for PvE; preferably pretty offensive. What are people running?
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

Quote Originally Posted by jha4ceb View Post
    I'm running a rabid condition grenade build on my (rarely played) engineer at the moment. It works well for WvW, but I'd like something else for PvE; preferably pretty offensive. What are people running?
    I am running the same setup in PvE and WvW, probably similiar to yours:

http://de.gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQ...koIrOugk6MWYKC

You could probably run something similar with Rifle and more oriented towards Power damage. I do use the Healing Turret every now and then too, but that subtracts from my Might stacks, so it is difficult to justify that in PvE.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Epic, I'm similarly levelling my engi currently, he's about l34 or so.
    I started with flamethrower, which while it was visually spectacular ran out of steam (napalm?) after a bit. I swapped to a grenade build, with some elixirs, and haste (speedy kits and the speedy elixir) and that seemed to serve me a lot better.
    i agree that non-kit weapons are rubbish.
    bombs are also fun instead of grenades, and might fill that close range aoe DPS role of the flamethrower without being quite so ineffectual at higher levels.
    GW2: Ohara Scarlett, Lord Carnelian, Ocharra Scarlett, Capita Mortuum, Lady Viridian, Lady Carnelian, Lord Viridian, Xen Adu, Ohara Scarlet

For clarity, I do run grenades and bombs simultaneously most of the time, which allows for more damage output / cooldowns to blow. At least for PvP/WvW, nearly all weapon combinations are great in my opinion, for group combat you're using AOEs anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Here's what I run, and what you should read: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...enades-in-pve/
    Yes, I only browse Guru through GuanglaiKangyi's post history. What of it?

The only real difference is that I use thumper turret instead of elixir gun most of the time because it has more blast finishers, which are your main source of party might stacks and aoe healing. I never use bomb kit for damage unless grenades aren't an option (the centaur boss in CM comes to mind) because they just have fewer explosions to trigger the relevant traits.

For WvW I just switch around utilities for Elixir Q, S, Tool Kit or Rocket Boots as needed and actually use the pistol sometimes (to tag downed people mostly).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jha4ceb's Avatar
    Thanks Malawi, that's really useful.
    GW2: Saphnabylni & co.

That build is nice in PvE I guess, not so much WvW roaming in small groups/on your own and PvP. Don't agree with the author on HGH though, might stacks of ~20 are not too difficult to come by and pump both condi and physical damage to extremes. Again, more for killing humans than PvE beasties.

Edit: I rarely browse Guru at all. Why would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
    Epic, I'm similarly levelling my engi currently, he's about l34 or so.
    I started with flamethrower, which while it was visually spectacular ran out of steam (napalm?) after a bit. I swapped to a grenade build, with some elixirs, and haste (speedy kits and the speedy elixir) and that seemed to serve me a lot better.
    i agree that non-kit weapons are rubbish.
    bombs are also fun instead of grenades, and might fill that close range aoe DPS role of the flamethrower without being quite so ineffectual at higher levels.
    The bombs are in my experience are only useful against low-health enemies. Their AoE is too low to reliably circlestrafe, meaning the only real means of evading damage is to backpedal and hope the bombs kill your target before it hits reset range.

EDIT: The flamer may be a bit meh on low levels, but I do have a build in mind for lvl80 that will let me tank quite competently. Considering that my entire playstile focuses more on staying alive than killing stuff quickly, it might work out quite well.

I agree the flamer is a bit underwhelming against equal-level enemies. The Elixir, by contrast, takes a while to get going, but a few volleys of autoattacks will make the damage skyrocket. Once specced in Firearms and Explosives it is basically the warrior`s rifle with some good AoE and (arguably) superior DoT and debuff abilities (mind you, this is mostly mathwarrior stuff derived from GW2Skills, but it should work well enough in practice).

As an aside, I`ve been messing about with turrets lately, and the Rocket Turret looks to be a near-perfect skill for doing defensive events, defending points and the like (that AoE...), as well as kiting bosses and letting it pound away. OTOH, it might be that I`m a bit too low level to make a valid judgment with regards to that.
    Last edited by EPICTHEFAIL; 18-07-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    That build is nice in PvE I guess, not so much WvW roaming in small groups/on your own and PvP. Don't agree with the author on HGH though, might stacks of ~20 are not too difficult to come by and pump both condi and physical damage to extremes.
    The point of taking blast finishers and bomb kit instead of HGH is that they buff might party-wide (18 stacks with thumper turret) instead of just for yourself (and people you hit with thrown elixirs I guess). To get high might stacks with HGH you must limit yourself in the type of skills you bring as well as when you use them, and I don't like that.